Found In Iowa

DurangoDave7

This was found by a friend in the river near Cedar Rapids Iowa at Palisades Park. Looks like a mushroom. It seems petrified. Is it possible to find land plant fossils in this area or is this just a coral piece?

post-107-1196645900.jpg

dave,

it appears to be a river worn rugose horn coral. to identify it further one would need to study the septa in closer detail and also know the age and formation of the fossil.

brock

This was found by a friend in the river near Cedar Rapids Iowa at Palisades Park. Looks like a mushroom. It seems petrified. Is it possible to find land plant fossils in this area or is this just a coral piece?

Can't answer your question, as the photo shows as solid black rectangle to me. But -- I can say: Welcome to the forum.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

I sure wish I could help you with your ID question, but I cannot open your very large image.

Your image file is so large that even the thumbnail opens at a snail's pace on a dial-up connection.

When I make a SHQ or HQ image with my six megapixel camera, the resulting image is as large as 39 inches wide by 29 inches high. I have to reduce the image size with my editing software to even work with it conveniently.

You can produce excellent photos with the Standard Quality (SQ) setting on your camera. (See some of Worthy's or Mike Owens' recent posts.) If you are going to post images that are not edited, that is, images directly from your camera, SQ is the camera setting you should be using.

Read the thread "Photographing Fossils" under the FOSSIL MEDIA sub-forum for suggestions on posting image files that are accessible to all of the forum readers.

I'd like to see your pix. I hope you can post some viewable images.

----Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest