New Site For Shark Teeth - Wyoming - Finally Got Permission

WyomingRocks!

WR, I believe that small shark tooth you think might be a whale shark tooth is actually a Basking Shark tooth (Cetorhinus). If you find more of those ant hills, scoop off the top inch or so of dirt and take it home to sift in some window screen/water.

daryl.

No, not in the Cretaceous.

Edited by Paleoc

Great story and I am sure those finds mean even more to you since you found them on your own. Great job on the research and perseverence. Most folks now just bug everyone else for info on spots instead of doing their own detective work. How much fun would easter egg hunting have been as a child if you mom went in front of you and pointed to all of the eggs for you?

... but I'll bet your Mom at least told you which house the eggs were hid at. Not everyone can prospect sites all the time, some of us don't live in areas with fossils.

It's great being able to get out and find new spots, nothing better than the trill of walking up to a to good looking area hoping that there would be something there and, when there isn't, nothing lower. I have talked to the landowner and he says there are more rock outcrops on the other side of the hill so I might be able to find something else (fingers crossed).

I will try to take better pictures of my finds; does anybody have any hints/advice on how to take clear crisp pictures of small fossils? I have tried with 2 different cameras on macro mode but none really turned out well. I took the pictures inside with artificial light and maybe I need to try it in good sunlight conditions.

WyomingRocks!

Stephen

It's great being able to get out and find new spots, nothing better than the trill of walking up to a to good looking area hoping that there would be something there and, when there isn't, nothing lower. I have talked to the landowner and he says there are more rock outcrops on the other side of the hill so I might be able to find something else (fingers crossed).

I will try to take better pictures of my finds; does anybody have any hints/advice on how to take clear crisp pictures of small fossils? I have tried with 2 different cameras on macro mode but none really turned out well. I took the pictures inside with artificial light and maybe I need to try it in good sunlight conditions.

My camera has different setting depending on the type of lighting, try looking for that setting. Also, outside in the sun is hard to beat.

... but I'll bet your Mom at least told you which house the eggs were hid at. Not everyone can prospect sites all the time, some of us don't live in areas with fossils.

That is a good point. I think most folks, including myself, are more than willing to point folks in the right direction if they are visiting as I know I would appreciate it if I visited another state.