Any Advice For Buying Waders For Cold Weather Hunting

Spooky1

I'm hoping to make a few trips to areas of Calvert Cliffs this fall and winter. Any recommendations for wadders so I don't freeze my butt off?

I have waded the waters along the cliffs when there was a skim of ice on the surface. I use 3.5mm neoprene waders with polypropolene long johns as the first layer. If you walk fast this will actually be a little too warm. I would suggest buying the 3.5mm and adjust your undergarment layer to suit your hunting style.

For cold water wading (as long as hip boots are high enough), I like NEOS ("New England Overshoes"). Since I already have layers in my outdoor wardrobe, and good hiking shoes, all I need is a waterproof outer layer. NEOS hip boots go on over everything, weigh next to nothing, are non-encumbering, and will pack into a shoebox. They're called the "River Trekker".

Here's a link: http://www.overshoe.com/recreational/produ...tail.php?s=RTK8

post-423-1225838898_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

For cold water wading (as long as hip boots are high enough), I like NEOS ("New England Overshoes"). Since I already have layers in my outdoor wardrobe, and good hiking shoes, all I need is a waterproof outer layer. NEOS hip boots go on over everything, weigh next to nothing, are non-encumbering, and will pack into a shoebox. They're called the "River Trekker".

Here's a link: http://www.overshoe.com/recreational/produ...tail.php?s=RTK8

Now that is a good idea. I have hip waders that have developed a hole so these might be my next thing to get.

well not about buying them but after you get some be sure not to slip and fall in the water, its not fun..............

I think I probably hold some kind of record for slipping and falling in, I have yet to find waders for that.

I agree with obsessed1, neoprene is the best way to go for waders. They can get pricey so you should shop around. Check out Cabela's on-line as well as E-bay and your local sporting goods store (especially the fly fishing shops and Orvis).

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

I actually just bought a pair from BassPro near Baltimore. I am trying stocking foot chest waders this year. In the past I have always bought the rubber boot type and the boots always get cracks and holes long before the neoprene wears out. And the stocking foot waders were under $70. :)

obsessed1,

Sunlight is absolutely the worst enemy of rubber or neoprene. They are best stored unfolded (Hanging) and in the dark.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

When not in use I hang mine upside down in my basement where it is cool and has no outside light source. I believe the boot part wears out due to the amount of time I spend at the cliffs. The neoprene part looks like new. On average I have spent about 2.5 days at 8 or more hours per day each week during the cold water months (Nov thru Mid May). My theory is that they just aren't made for the amount of walking I do.

I like the cheapest ~3.5mm neoprene stocking foot waders you can get. They are comfortable, warm enough, and last just as long or longer as any other much more expensive waders. No matter what, it seems like these waders weren't made for walking so much, digging, screening, crawling so eventually they all get leaks.

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

"On average I have spent about 2.5 days at 8 or more hours per day each week"

wow. that's a lot of walking. and fossil hunting. i've always wondered if i could survive the northern winters. does it get below freezing much?

"On average I have spent about 2.5 days at 8 or more hours per day each week"

wow. that's a lot of walking. and fossil hunting. i've always wondered if i could survive the northern winters. does it get below freezing much?

On the Chesapeake Bay, not so much (more so 30 years ago). This area is not what I would call "northern"; it's technically humid sub-tropic. We have some spells, but they are not the rule.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

On the Chesapeake Bay, not so much (more so 30 years ago). This area is not what I would call "northern"; it's technically humid sub-tropic. We have some spells, but they are not the rule.

In winter the average is likely to be 40 degrees here in MD, but as Auspex said we do have some cold spells hitting the 20s and single digits on rare ocassions.

My best advice for waders is more coverage is always better. I can't tell you how many times I've found a nice hole where if I didn't have chest waders I'd have two of my own priviate pools. If it gets too warm you can always pull it down around your waist. Camo is also an option if you're a hunter. Kills two birds with one stone if you know what I'm saying.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Guest bmorefossil

yea 35-40 is our average, but with that wind chill that can come off the bay it can really make is feel that much colder

I like those hippers Auspex listed, I may try a pair. As a die hard fly rodder I've gone thru lots of waders. Boot foot and stocking foot. Neoprene and Gore Tex. the trouble I've always had with Neoprene is that they get too hot and bunch up around your knees. They're not made for walking but they do hold up pretty well. I currently use a Guide Weight, Simms Gore Tex stocking foot with Cabelas guide grade boots. I can easily adjust my under garments to suit the weather. I like a polypropelene fleece pant layer for cold weather. They're lite, they breathe and seem to be holding up very well. I use them alot, both saltwater and in fresh water rivers.

While you're at it check out the "wading socks" at Cabelas. They come up above your knees. My first year for them but so far so good. As well, I highly recommend "Frog Togs" an inexpensive, light weight crushable rain suit. I'm on my second pair and still love those things. Keep them in your back pack, if it starts to rain, you're covered, if it gets cold or windy they'll warm you up. I carry a couple chemical heat packs on the boat and in my vest. If it gets really cold, crack open a heater, shake it up, shove it in your shirt pocket, slip on your Togs and you are very comfortable in 5 minutes.

I've had the experience of using rubberized chest waders in ice-covered water when I lived up north. After I bought my first neoprene wet suit, I never used the waders again.

A quarter-inch farmer-john wet suit with neoprene booties is the way to wade in cold water!

Add a pair of oversize Converse All-stars to support and protect your feet. (I use a size 13 over my size 11 feet with booties.) These are teeth that I found inside my All-stars after a day of dredging the Peace River.

post-42-1225913057_thumb.jpg

Add a pair of basketball knee-pads for when you are kneeling in shallow water. (Drop the knee-pads down to your ankles when walking to unencumber knee flexion and to protect your shins from submerged tree limbs and rocks.

Note the knee-pads here:

post-42-1225914739_thumb.jpg

Add a water-wicking top (polypropylene is one such fabric, but there is a large choice) and a dunking in the cold water will be a brief discomfort (instead of ruining the day).

You can stay warmer without the risk of flooded waders (which can drown you if you step into a hole).

Look for a used wet suit for sale in the newspaper. If it fits snug, it will not bunch up behind your knees as will neoprene waders.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

• 3 weeks later...
I've had the experience of using rubberized chest waders in ice-covered water when I lived up north. After I bought my first neoprene wet suit, I never used the waders again.

A quarter-inch farmer-john wet suit with neoprene booties is the way to wade in cold water!

Add a pair of oversize Converse All-stars to support and protect your feet. (I use a size 13 over my size 11 feet with booties.) These are teeth that I found inside my All-stars after a day of dredging the Peace River.

Add a pair of basketball knee-pads for when you are kneeling in shallow water. (Drop the knee-pads down to your ankles when walking to unencumber knee flexion and to protect your shins from submerged tree limbs and rocks.

Add a water-wicking top (polypropylene is one such fabric, but there is a large choice) and a dunking in the cold water will be a brief discomfort (instead of ruining the day).

You can stay warmer without the risk of flooded waders (which can drown you if you step into a hole).

Look for a used wet suit for sale in the newspaper. If it fits snug, it will not bunch up behind your knees as will neoprene waders.

I use to have a wetsuit years ago for water skiing with friends, unfortunately I sold it because I wasn't using it. Oh well.

Thanks for the tips everyone

• 3 weeks later...
I like those hippers Auspex listed, I may try a pair. As a die hard fly rodder I've gone thru lots of waders. Boot foot and stocking foot. Neoprene and Gore Tex. the trouble I've always had with Neoprene is that they get too hot and bunch up around your knees. They're not made for walking but they do hold up pretty well. I currently use a Guide Weight, Simms Gore Tex stocking foot with Cabelas guide grade boots. I can easily adjust my under garments to suit the weather. I like a polypropelene fleece pant layer for cold weather. They're lite, they breathe and seem to be holding up very well. I use them alot, both saltwater and in fresh water rivers.

While you're at it check out the "wading socks" at Cabelas. They come up above your knees. My first year for them but so far so good. As well, I highly recommend "Frog Togs" an inexpensive, light weight crushable rain suit. I'm on my second pair and still love those things. Keep them in your back pack, if it starts to rain, you're covered, if it gets cold or windy they'll warm you up. I carry a couple chemical heat packs on the boat and in my vest. If it gets really cold, crack open a heater, shake it up, shove it in your shirt pocket, slip on your Togs and you are very comfortable in 5 minutes.

Good advice above by flyguy. Being an angler, I also have the breathable stocking foot waders. I bought the "expensive" LL Bean Wicked Tough waders. I like them a lot, plus, if they ever leak then they'll replace them free of charge. They're comfortable and you can layer underneath accordingly. I've worn just about every type of wader you can imagine. I had neoprene for years and they work well, but they limit movement and are heavy especially if your on the big side like me. The breathable type offer much more flexibility, like wearing waterproof pants. I actually can breath while wearing them bending over. I've had Hodgeman and other less expensive brands but they all leaked after only a few trips. My LL Bean ones are wonderful (no, I don't work for them, LOL). Comfort and mobility are just as important to me as staying dry. Just remember that they aren't insulated and you have to provide those layers yourself.

I also purchased the felt/studded Cabelas boots. Your feet will be protected and you won't slip on the rocks. I've worn plain felt soles for years and they work fine in Maryland, but the studded ones rock! Wear gravel guards to keep the sand out of the boots too. I wear the boots with extra socks for wet wading too. I feel much more secure wearing them either from falling or bashing my toes against the rocks while wading in murky bay waters.

Good layers: Cabelas, Bass Pro, Gander Mountain, and other outdoors shops sell very good insulated undergarments. I think mine are Cabelas Polartech or something like that. You can't go wrong. The wading socks flyguy mentions above are fantastic. I bought a pair this year and I love them.

Neoprene gloves work great for me. I like the ones where I can flip the fingers back so that I can pick fossils out. There are several types out there.

I like the knee pads idea. I may come up with a modified version of that. My fear when kneeling down is that a sharp Striatolamna striata like object might puncture my waders and wet my trip on me, LOL.

Kevin Wilson

Oh, and you might ask, why did I buy the expensive ones? As I said, I've purchased a lot of pairs of waders and hip boots over the years, and they've all eventually leaked no matter how well I've taken care of them. When I first heard about the LL Bean policy, I scoffed at it and said to my buddy that told me about them that I could afford three pairs of other brand waders for that price. Well, three pairs later I had three pairs of leaky waders. Yes, if you can find the leak, you can repair them, if you can find the leak. I bought the LL Bean ones after that, thinking had I done that I would have had a free replacement already instead of a leaky wader collection. Lo and behold, there was a problem with my first pair with the tape and glue, and they leaked after only a few times out. I called them, told them what happened, and they sent me a new pair along with a shipping form for the returned pair. Since then, I have not had any problems.

Advice if you get any pair of waders: be careful around barbed wire, climbing over logs (the broken branches form spikes that like to poke holes in waders), and tree stumps left behind by sharp toothed beavers (also wader hole pokers)...

Kevin Wilson