Michelinoceras - Ordovician Cephalopod - Antes Creek

hitekmastr

On our first fossil trip (last summer) I found this cephalopod (Michelinoceras) at the Ordovician roadcut site at Antes Creek, PA. Some of those familiar with the site said they had not heard of many previous cephalopods discovered at this site and I was wondering if anyone knew if this was true.

post-8709-0-13882200-1362282091_thumb.jpg

Sorry I can't help you with your question, since I've never been to that site myself, but I just wanted to congratulate you on finding the first ever cephalopod with sunglasses :rofl::D:mellow::blink: What's that rock on the left, by the way? :P:blush: ...well actually and on a more serious note, this is just my method of bumping your post back up to the top again :popcorn:

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I thnk I see a siphuncle, or maybe it's a snorkle? I marked it with a red arrow in the photo. So the cephalopod ID is likely correct. Some of those Ordovician squids got pretty big!

Don

post-528-0-43605400-1362316152_thumb.jpg

A double barreled siphuncle!

Seriously though it looks like a ceph. to me also.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Always appreciate the combination of humor and information! That's what makes this forum so cool.

Actually, my wife says she often mistakes my nose for a curled up trilobite, or a cephalopod. She has on occasion called me Ordovician!

Archived