AJ Plai

post-10857-0-35685400-1362673811_thumb.pngpost-10857-0-54175900-1362673845_thumb.pngpost-10857-0-37425500-1362674516_thumb.jpgpost-10857-0-92740400-1362673828_thumb.png

post-10857-0-69315400-1362673862_thumb.pngpost-10857-0-89991800-1362674532_thumb.jpg

Hey, just want to ask for some opinion whether if this tooth looks like a genuine T-Rex? While its not so fat in terms of shape like some of the clear T-Rex teeth out there, I have seen some pictures of certain teeth that seem to look a little thinner and more curvy that are supposedly T-Rex, so I can't be sure. It's a Hell Creek tooth BTW.

If its not a rex what could this possibly be? An Albertosaurus seem like a likely candidate?

Though from what I can see so far, it seems like a nice-looking tooth eventhough it apparently have had some restoration work done to it.

What do u guys think?

It's a very nice tooth but it could be from any of the large tyrannosaurs. An unscrupulous seller might relabel a tyrannosaur tooth from the Judith River Fm or such as "T. rex" because they can charge ten times the price. In my opinion, a nice tooth is a nice tooth. All of the tyrannosaurs are impressive, and I think people should be just as excited by any of them.

It's a very nice tooth but it could be from any of the large tyrannosaurs. An unscrupulous seller might relabel a tyrannosaur tooth from the Judith River Fm or such as "T. rex" because they can charge ten times the price. In my opinion, a nice tooth is a nice tooth. All of the tyrannosaurs are impressive, and I think people should be just as excited by any of them.

Agreed, it is a nice tooth whatever it is, if it turns out to be a nano or alberta tooth then it is a large example and still probably worth quite a bit of money.

If the price is good buy it!

It certainly is one of the better looking tooth I have seen in a while but does $550 (Au Dollar) sound reasonable in your opinions? From what I was told it has minor restoration at one point at the back end of the tooth. For a T-Rex that seem not so bad, but I am considering the fact that it could turn out to be other tyrannosaur species as well and not sure about whether if its still is a good deal or not.

Thx :)

Sometimes price gives away the species. Good Rex teeth typically go for $1000 USD an inch and are more oval as you point out. Nano teeth tend to be more compressed than yours and Albertosaurus teeth are not part of the Hell Creek fauna. I also agree with a previous writer that larger Alberto teeth from the Judith River of Montana have been sold as Rex teeth. The proof to me in a marginal tooth has been serration count. If you are 2-2.5 serrations per mm its a Rex no question. Nano and Alberto teeth are finer. You images of the serrations are a bit fuzzy and hard to tell anything from them.

If the price includes a premium for it being a T-Rex tooth (which cannot be completely supported), then I'd keep saving for one that is incontrovertible.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

If the price includes a premium for it being a T-Rex tooth (which cannot be completely supported), then I'd keep saving for one that is incontrovertible.

Very true, if you can't tell (which in this case it is pretty hard) then don't pay the premium, that said I also think if it were a definite Rex tooth they would want more than $550.

With the Rex,Nano,Alberto,Dasplet and Gorgo teeth in my collection to use as a guide I would not pay more than $350 but I think if you could get it for under $400 you would be doing ok depending on the restoration.

Hope that helps :)

Thx, guys I kinda thought it was odd to see a T-Rex tooth up for sale in less than $1000. At the moment I am requesting the seller to send me a close up photo of the serration right next to a ruler so I can see if the serration/cm falls in the range of T-Rex's, perhaps it could help potentially ID or confirm it. If anything, I am still curious to find out what specie it may belong to even if I may not get it.

Down under fossil hunter, on 09 Mar 2013 - 17:48, said:

Very true, if you can't tell (which in this case it is pretty hard) then don't pay the premium, that said I also think if it were a definite Rex tooth they would want more than $550.

With the Rex,Nano,Alberto,Dasplet and Gorgo teeth in my collection to use as a guide I would not pay more than $350 but I think if you could get it for under $400 you would be doing ok depending on the restoration.

Hope that helps :)

Very helpful and good advice certainly,thx :)

It's surprising that u could actually get an around 2" tooth of those species in good (albeit, restored - which I don't mind much as long as it looks good) condition for under $400? I have looked at quite several places online (like Indiana9, PaleoDirect, FossilShack, DinosaurStoreand several others) but haven't managed to find a good conditioned one at decent price like u said yet. Perhaps, there are many other dealers I haven't found yet. Would u be able to direct me to places or dealers where I might be able to get a deal like that? Well if u don't mind that is hehe. Thx, man. :)

Sure but unfortunately the best way to get a really good deal is to be very patient and always be on the lookout for a bargain.

The closer you can get to the guy that actually digs the fossils is a sure fire way to save a bunch before a dealer goes and whacks his 100% mark up on it!

Places like ebay are a great place to start as there are quite a few dealers who dig, prep and sell their own fossils. This is where almost all of my bargains have come from over the years as these sellers don't have the overheads that other guys who have websites do.

I have PM'd you a few reputable guys names.

Sure but unfortunately the best way to get a really good deal is to be very patient and always be on the lookout for a bargain.

The closer you can get to the guy that actually digs the fossils is a sure fire way to save a bunch before a dealer goes and whacks his 100% mark up on it!

Places like ebay are a great place to start as there are quite a few dealers who dig, prep and sell their own fossils. This is where almost all of my bargains have come from over the years as these sellers don't have the overheads that other guys who have websites do.

I have PM'd you a few reputable guys names.

Thx a lot, very much appreciated :)

I humbly submit an Ebay review article I wrote about this topic a few years ago.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Real-T-Rex-Tooth-How-You-Can-Tell?ugid=10000000001618662

Adult T-rex teeth are large, fat (side to side width/front to back width 60% or more), have large serrations (12-20/mm or less) and have a provenance known to contain T.rex material. With those attributes you can be reasonably assured of a tooth coming from T.rex. The more you deviate in fatness and serration size from what are known with T.rex teeth, the more doubt there will be that the tooth is from T. rex. What are often referred to as "juvenile T. rex" teeth are teeth indistinguishable from Nano rex teeth, and indeed they may be the same thing. Whatever you call these smaller tyrannosaurid teeth, they are much more common than intact large T.rex teeth and should be priced accordingly.

I humbly submit an Ebay review article I wrote about this topic a few years ago.

http://reviews.ebay.com/Real-T-Rex-Tooth-How-You-Can-Tell?ugid=10000000001618662

Adult T-rex teeth are large, fat (side to side width/front to back width 60% or more), have large serrations (12-20/mm or less) and have a provenance known to contain T.rex material. With those attributes you can be reasonably assured of a tooth coming from T.rex. The more you deviate in fatness and serration size from what are known with T.rex teeth, the more doubt there will be that the tooth is from T. rex. What are often referred to as "juvenile T. rex" teeth are teeth indistinguishable from Nano rex teeth, and indeed they may be the same thing. Whatever you call these smaller tyrannosaurid teeth, they are much more common than intact large T.rex teeth and should be priced accordingly.

Excellent guide with very detailed useful info, thank you very much for sharing!

Please do tell and update if you write anymore articles like this :)

Well, here is my other Ebay review article:

http://reviews.ebay.com/Ebay-Fossil-Buying?ugid=10000000000836932

Nothing new here for most experienced fossil collectors. My concern is for the beginning fossil collectors, who are like baby sea turtle hatchlings, the vast majority of whom will be "picked off" by fake fossil purchases and pursue a less risky collecting habit.

It's a shame that the reviews on Ebay are not easy to find, and if you don't go out of your way to look for them, you will be completely unaware of their existence. As far as Ebay is concerned, a sale is a sale.

Another great and useful article, especially for beginning collectors. Thx for creating and sharing it :)

• 1 year later...

I believe it's an anterior maxillary tooth from Nanotyrannus. The size is about right and the width for that position tooth is right. Though the pictures are not that sharp, what I can see of the serration detail seems to match up with the smaller, finer, serrations of Nanotyrannus too.

Archived