ssuntok

Fossil Hunting In India?

ssuntok

I'm going to India with my son next year. We'd like to do some fossil hunting while there.

I can find no info online or in the couple of topics posted on this forum about India. Does anyone out there know 1) good places to hunt, or fossil tour organizers in India and 2) the legality of collecting or removing fossils from India (I don't want to be breaking any of their laws). Even the Geologic Survey of India website doesn't seem to contain much helpful information in this regard.

We will be in the NW part of the country, planning on going to Delhi, Agra, Jaipur, Udaipur and maybe even down to Mumbai.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by ssuntok

Down under fossil hunter

India is an area of interest for me too. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a great deal of information online about it apart from lists of dinosaurs (my primary field of interest) and where they were found. I read in a book a few years back (have long since forgotten the title) that there were areas in India that you could purchase fossils and it sounded similar to Morocco in the sense that there were a lot of poor people who would go out and fossick and sell what they had found at local markets and small shops. One of the more prolific fossils that was available were "dinosaur eggs" and they were found and displayed in a lot of rural towns as they had a certain religious significance to the people. All that said I have never seen anything from India for sale and would doubt that anyone will in the near future. I don't know about the legality of collecting/buying fossils in India but a total absence of them on the global market could indicate that they may have similar laws to China, South America etc. I think you will both have an amazing time and I am sure you will be able to enlighten all of us on your return of fossil hunting in India.

Edited by Down under fossil hunter

shivam24

Hello there,

i'm Shivam pandya From India, gujarat, Vadodara.

I'm Happy that you interested in our country.

I'm not sure about fossil hunting, but if you are interested in to view them, I suggest indroda Fossil and Dinosaur park and Nature park. (I also add 2-3 more place in this, list below.)

Here is some information about it.

Indroda Dinosaur and Fossil Park is a precious treasure spread over an area of about 400 hectares on either bank of Sabarmati river in Gandhinagar, the capital of Gujarat. It is considered to be the second largest hatchery of dinosaur eggs in the world. Regarded as India's Jurrasic Park, it is run by the Gujarat Ecological Education and Research Foundation (GEER), and is the only dinosaur museum in the country. The park consists of a zoo, massive skeletons of sea mammals like the blue whale, as well as a vast botanical garden, amphitheatre, interpretation center and camping facilities. It also has a Wilderness Park which is home to innumerable species of birds, reptiles, hundreds of nilgais, langurs and peafowls in its vast forest. Visit Indroda Nature Park or call 02712-21385, (Park)-20560.

howtogethere_english.jpg

By road: Gujarat has one of the better developed road networks in India. Ahmedabad is well connected with all major cities and towns by road. Prominent bus stops are located at Gitamandir near Kalupur Railway Station and Paldi. Regular bus services are available by Gujarat state transport buses and private operators to all the major destinations of the state.

By rail: The main railway station is located in Kalupur area. This station falls under the prominent national railway circuit and is connected to all major cities of India. If you are on the western side of the Sabarmati river, then you can go to the Gandhigram station near Ashram road to buy your railway tickets easily.

By air: Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel airport at Ahmedabad is an international airport with direct flights to USA, UK, Singapore, Dubai and other international hubs. Numerous domestic flights are also operational from here

Here Is a link of map. Location

If you interested in other fossil like adventure, I suggest also one more thing, and It is Nal Sarovar (Lake) and Lothal .

These three sites are near by each other.

if you need more info. please contact me on my email id from my profile.

Auspex

Thank you, Shivam, for all this very useful information :)

vertman

I was in India for work about a decade ago. I did check into the legality of collecting fossils there. The problem at that time seemed to be not in the collecting itself but in the removal from the country. The laws seemed to be very strict against removing any fossils at all from the country. I am not sure about now.

My most vivid memory from my time there was taking photographs at an office building in Calcutta. It had absolutely beautifully manicured flower gardens. I looked up into the stern face of an Indian soldier with a machine gun pointed in my direction. He was repeating "no snaps" over and over.

It seems the building I was working in also officed some government offices and taking photographs was strictly forbidden. Oops!

Good luck in your quest.

Karthik

I agree it is tough.. but there are some places about 150 km from Hyderabad where fossils are plenty. There is so little work done on fossils in India.. that is a shame!