Finds Today That I Can't Id

Roadrunner

Thank you.

I didn't get a good picture of the one where I have the ruler in-between 2 fossils on the left and 1 on the right.

The fossil on the right seems to taper off and had some crystals toward the end of the taper.

For reference, here is a Caninia torquia with a bend:

attachicon.gifpost-6808-0-89867400-1323555506.jpg

OK - That makes a lot of sense - thanks' again!

I'll look up some more pictures. :)

You think the first is the same horned coral also?

It's a lot of fun imagining this area a shallow sea and under water. I recently saw the Doc who came out to see the boulder on a local television show, showing the TV host a shark tooth in a boulder on top of Sandia Crest. Of course, Sandia Crest wasn't a mountain then. Our "Rockies" are the new ones, after the Ancestral Rockies.

He shows a large shark tooth in the video at the website below, about 1 1/2 minutes in;

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/S3219629.shtml?cat=11121#.UsdKlvRDuSq

You think the first is the same horned coral also?

It's more likely, now that C. torquia has been found along side it.

There's still a chance that they could be other types of coral, but Caninia is by far the most common in that size and shape.

Context is critical.

The carving does look like malachite, maybe you found someone's "Geostash"'?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

The carving does look like malachite, maybe you found someone's "Geostash"'?

I walk by that arroyo wall 3 or more times a week....and nothing has ever been there before - or after. It is right at eye level, and the cache's that I have found while hiking (that are for GPS hobby people - geocache) are never that obvious. They are usually covered with rocks, and often in some kind of container, like an ammunition box. However, water does regularly run through that "hole."

The double-back that I did on top of the wall had me first believing that there was going to be a house somewhere "upstream" of that hole - but there wasn't - at least within sight.

• 4 months later...

Happy summer to everyone! School is over and although I have plenty to do and attend I've still been walking the hills. Since they purposely killed a bunch of bears to spend months upgrading an interchange several miles from us - we've had a major coyote problem. I've had to re-arrange how I hike with the dogs as one of them can't resist running after them. He hurt his paw one time, was given antibiotics, and that in turn gave him colitis.

What is still difficult is that I have to spend a LOT more time looking up than down now, as the coyotes are everywhere and have even paralleled us while we hike. I'm dealing with them, and getting them to back off a bit. They are now mostly looking at us just from the ridge tops. If you're ever curious, I have plenty of pictures of them, too. Some while paralleling us, some on ridge tops.

So, today I found a couple fossils more interesting than the typical columnal crinoids that I find around here. The first I believe to be a brachiopod. Simply put, it looks like a clam. :) Do you think so? I had to use my beat up watch to size it, as I must have dropped my ruler somewhere (probably chasing my dog). Here it is;

DSCN0754_zps99b9452f.jpg

DSCN0755_zpsd73d61ea.jpg

The following I found partially obscured by some rock that I broke off. Here is what it looked like before I broke off part;

DSCN0761_zps8537fbff.jpg

And here it is after I broke it of - is it just a shell of some type? My husband thinks maybe a snail....?

DSCN0762_zpsf748dc9f.jpg

And a little closer;

DSCN0763_zps866a5c49.jpg

Then the watch to size it;

DSCN0764_zps3500c41e.jpg

The last rock is about 20-pounds. Obviously I still need to clean up the fossils.

I hope everyone in here is doing well, and I look forward to corresponding again. I spend hours looking through this website, as you are all the greatest!

Best Wishes,

Roadrunner

Hey - did you hear about the prehistoric fossil shark they found in the mountains above us? They cat scanned it and have never seen anything exactly like it before.

I wish I had found that fossil! :drool: But at least the guy that discovered it works for the Natural History Museum in NM, and another academic institution in AZ. That ensured that it was handled right.

Here's the link showing the cat scan; http://krqe.com/2014/05/16/scientists-learn-more-about-shark-fossil-with-cat-scan/ with SL who came out to look at my mystery boulder, stating that he thinks having the shark fossil is like having the "...Mona Lisa of sharks." ^_^

Apparently, the shark is "... the first Ctenacanth shark fossil to be found in North America," and is 300 million years old! Here is more information and an artistic mock-up, if you are interested.

http://guardianlv.com/2014/05/300-million-year-old-godzilla-shark-fossil-found/

The 'folded over' shapes might be sections through brachiopods.

OK - so you're gonna' think I'm crazy, but oh well.

That "folded over" shape (sort of like the enterprise in Star Trek:^) mentioned in post # 3, last picture, keeps coming up in various sizes. It is also on the rock where I have the snail-like shell that I haven't excavated from the matrix yet. It is here;

DSCN0773_zpsffde375a.jpg
...and on another rock here;
DSCN0774_zps3b62ab9c.jpg
DSCN0776_zps61b1c945.jpg
DSCN0778_zpsd6af1c59.jpg

I'm guessing the main little dude is some kind of rugose coral - along with some scattered crinoids, etc., but I really have no idea as I can't find anything with that shape, and the center piece with lines radiating around it. It is a little more than an inch long.

Anyone seen one of these before?

Sizing

DSCN0187_zps232e0c7e.jpg

Closer

DSCN0188-cropped_zps1365cfcc.jpg

And a little closer...

DSCN0189_zpsb0034414.jpg

Then the shape below keeps also coming up in different sizes - at least I think it is the same shape,...

DSCN0789_zps1e4c55ca.jpg

DSCN0787_zps7a81d385.jpg

DSCN0786_zps6d7bdd56.jpg

Nope - looking at that last post - those pictures look as if they are different fossils from the one in post #25 - maybe.

...That "folded over" shape (sort of like the enterprise in Star Trek:^) mentioned in post # 3, last picture, keeps coming up in various sizes. It is also on the rock where I have the snail-like shell that I haven't excavated from the matrix yet...

Definitely a section through a shell:

post-423-0-39913100-1401755512_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Definitely a section through a shell:

attachicon.gif~.JPG

.....even though it loops back down toward the ruler at the ends in one of the pics? I guess I'm going to have to invest in some tools to start extracting this stuff. I just can't picture what shell would look like that with the loops at the ends.

How about the other one(s)?

OK - I kind of see it with the red lines. Thank you for the primer.

Does anybody know what kind of coral or sponge might make that longer "fishy" looking shape? And do you think the large one on the more gray matrix is the same thing?

...and finally there is this one. I can't make it out at all.

DSCN0756_zpsc213b360.jpg

I found this earlier today.

There is a tiny little crinoid in the clast, but the other 2 shapes appear to belong to one instead of 2 organisms overlaying one another.

Does anyone have any ideas?

6-2-14a_zpsa1dbf7e4.jpg

That is my thumb and from one end of the double-pointed spiral to the next is about 1.5 inches.

6-2-14b_zpsc937376b.jpg

I found this earlier today.

There is a tiny little crinoid in the clast, but the other 2 shapes appear to belong to one instead of 2 organisms overlaying one another.

Does anyone have any ideas?

6-2-14a_zpsa1dbf7e4.jpg

That is my thumb and from one end of the double-pointed spiral to the next is about 1.5 inches.

6-2-14b_zpsc937376b.jpg

This is the imprint of the two beaks, hinge line and interarea of a spirifed brachiopod.

This is likely a ruguse coral.

...and finally there is this one. I can't make it out at all.

DSCN0756_zpsc213b360.jpg

Context is critical.

This is likely a ruguse coral.

Thank you, Missourian!

I still haven't had much luck identifying the 1st two fossils in Post #25, here;

I'm guessing the main little dude is some kind of rugose coral - along with some scattered crinoids, etc., but I really have no idea as I can't find anything with that shape, and the center piece with lines radiating around it. It is a little more than an inch long.

Anyone seen one of these before?

Sizing

DSCN0187_zps232e0c7e.jpg

Closer

DSCN0188-cropped_zps1365cfcc.jpg

And a little closer...

DSCN0189_zpsb0034414.jpg

The best I've been able to come up with, and probably isn't likely - is that it is a Vendian "animal" from the Ediacara Era.

Cross section through a rugose coral.

There are crinoid columnals on the surrounding matrix, and I don't think there were crinoids in the Cambrian.

From the other fossils found, I am assuming at least a Devonian age.

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Regards,

I must admit that in my research I haven't been able to find any rugose corals that looks like it.

I must admit that I haven't been able to find any rugose corals that look like it.

Well, if you can imagine that the rock has eroded through the fossil,almost down to the back side, ... lengthwise, then it makes a bit more sense.

Cross sections of Horn Corals

Regards,

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

There are crinoid columnals on the surrounding matrix, and I don't think there were crinoids in the Cambrian.

From the other fossils found, I am assuming at least a Devonian age.

Regards,

That's a good point.

I wish it were more Devonian here, as I might have a better chance of finding fish, amphibian, and plant fossils, etc.My finds have been stromatoporoid, mollusks,rugose corals of all types, crinoids and other and "shelly" critters such as brachiopods.

Thank you for your insight and help! :)

• 2 weeks later...

If this is a coral, does anybody know what kind? I've not seen one like it before;

For sizing;

DSCN0809_zps44785564.jpg

Hopefully, a better shot;

DSCN0810_zps1f7f2574.jpg

Archived