tommcclees

My friend Andy E. found this fossil about a week ago in Green Mill Run Creek in Greenville NC. The creek produces fossils from the late Cretaceous through the Pliocene. It is a part of the upper Yorktown formation. He asked me to post these pictures on this website in hopes that someone might have an idea as to what this fossil may have once been. We are all stumped, any help or hints would be greatly appreciated. I can probably get him to send more pictures if these are inadequate for identification. Thanks

post-6548-0-10502900-1362976147_thumb.jpg post-6548-0-69463700-1362976164_thumb.jpg

post-6548-0-64359100-1362976193_thumb.jpg post-6548-0-91674500-1362976210_thumb.jpg

post-6548-0-20822000-1362976230_thumb.jpg

I agree. Looks like it was cut. Are you sure its fossilized?

GMR also produces a little pleistocene material as well. And of course TONS of holocene artifacts. My favorites include vhs cameras and computers :) And a few arrowheads if youre extremely lucky.

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Hi Tom tell Andy I think it is a cut bone but it may not be a fossil only a few to hundred years old. Just remember where it came from, in a city were a lot of stuff gets in GMR.

Ok thanks guys. Andy and I were communicating through text messages, so I didnt fully understand what his question about the piece was. I just asked him about it, he said that it is bone and not a fossil but he was wondering about the shiny substance on the top left picture. He thought it looked like enamel. I was assuming he said fossil.

It is a distal tibia of an artiodactyl. Not only is it cut, but it is saw cut. It is also water worn. Most definitely very modern.

Edited by RichW9090
  • I found this Informative 1

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".