Post Oak Creek Molar

gturner333

I recently found what looks like a mammal molar while I was screening through some bulk sample material from Post Oak Creek in Sherman TX (Austin group). I usually just find marine teeth, verts, gastropods, brachiopods, etc.. But, then I found this little guy. The marks in the pictures are 1mm apart. Any ideas?

post-11358-0-81146000-1363475762_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-68097500-1363475862_thumb.jpg

How cool is that!

I'll stay tuned in hopes that someone can ID it.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey G.

Did you show that thing to Wes at the DPS meeting Wednesday? I think he has some rodent teeth.

Not to Wes, but to several others. I'll just email him some pictures and ask. Thanks for the reminder.

My best guess:

Family MURIDAE

a sigmodontine rodent

cf. Sigmodon sp.

m3

I had to that up; according to Wikipedia, Sigmodon is the Cotton Rat genus.

Sigmodon = "S-tooth", the shape of the molar when viewing the occlusal surface.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I did some checking on the Sigmodon and it seems to fit. I took more pictures of the occlusal view and compared it against some of the drawings. Thanks for the assistance. I guess it's true that nice things come in small packages (if you consider a rat tooth nice - but I think it is pretty cool).