New Hook

PrehistoricFlorida

:wub::wub::wub:

Any artifacts you find that are made of bird bone, I'm your guy!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hey Auri,

Mind if I borrow that this weekend? I'm taking my boy fishing at the coast...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Neat, what is it made from?

Probably a deer leg bone, metacarpal/tarsal, tibia, or humerus.

Nope, I don't sell my finer fishhooks, that one if going straight into this frame once I get it preserved.

post-151-1226080959_thumb.jpg

Nope, I don't sell my finer fishhooks, that one if going straight into this frame once I get it preserved.

I think that's right, about the deer, I mean. I think I remember seeing an article (maybe The Florida Anthropologist) illustrating how it was done. I seem to recall that they actually cut the green bone on a bias to the long axis of the bone to produce the hook.

I have a compound fishhook here. It's an open "j" of bone with a hole through the end through which a small barb could be secured. I'll never know how many of those I overlooked as worthless scraps of bone.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Very cool! I can tell you had a long, fun day of playing in the water, your fingers are all wrinkled :D Goodtimes!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

I don't think so, Nate. Seems to me, you're going to need a new frame for your hooks! ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I think that's right, about the deer, I mean. I think I remember seeing an article (maybe The Florida Anthropologist) illustrating how it was done. I seem to recall that they actually cut the green bone on a bias to the long axis of the bone to produce the hook.

I have a compound fishhook here. It's an open "j" of bone with a hole through the end through which a small barb could be secured. I'll never know how many of those I overlooked as worthless scraps of bone.

Harry, post a pic of that hook if you get a chance.

Harry, post a pic of that hook if you get a chance.

Here it is, Auriculatus. I should have called it a "composite fishhook," I think. It's behind glass, so image quality is not the best. This frame is of some of my earliest finds. Access is from the rear, and it's stuck on the wall with a museum mounting.

I thought that this was just a broken fishhook, until it occurred to me that no one would put that much work into a hook only to be surprised by a vascular channel. Ben Waller agreed when he saw it. I think of this as a "crappie hook" compared to the larger all-bone hooks.

post-42-1226269669_thumb.jpgpost-42-1226269725_thumb.jpg

What seest thou else

...I thought that this was just a broken fishhook, until it occurred to me that no one would put that much work into a hook only to be surprised by a vascular channel.

Quite a piece of technology and craftsmanship to make a composite hook like that; very nice (and I assume very rare)!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very interesting hook, Harry. The first of that style I've seen. Fish hooks show a lot of variety down here. Of particular interest to me are the composite fish hooks made from the proximal end of raccoon bacula. I have seen sections of deer antler that are ringed for hafting and have a hole drilled for possibly inserting one of these bacula that have been cut and sharpened down. I have found probably about 50 of these composite bacula pieces, but no antler shafts to insert them into. I hypothesize that these also may have been inserted into a wooden shank for top water fishing and the antler shanks may have been for bottom water fishing. Just a thought...

Anyways, here is my barbed fish hook. This particular type has been dubbed the "Webb" barbed fish hook style. These are extremely rare, only about 20 known in museum or personal collections.

post-151-1226274399_thumb.jpg

They did a lot with whale bone in Alaska, I'm sure they made hooks out of them. Bone artifacts are very rare and are not likely to be found at the cliffs. Bone artifacts were likely used country-wide, however, they are only preserved in a handful of places (Florida, Tennessee caves, Alaska, etc).

Very interesting hook, Harry. The first of that style I've seen. Fish hooks show a lot of variety down here. Of particular interest to me are the composite fish hooks made from the proximal end of raccoon bacula. I have seen sections of deer antler that are ringed for hafting and have a hole drilled for possibly inserting one of these bacula that have been cut and sharpened down. I have found probably about 50 of these composite bacula pieces, but no antler shafts to insert them into. I hypothesize that these also may have been inserted into a wooden shank for top water fishing and the antler shanks may have been for bottom water fishing. Just a thought...

Anyways, here is my barbed fish hook. This particular type has been dubbed the "Webb" barbed fish hook style. These are extremely rare, only about 20 known in museum or personal collections.

That's truly an amazing fishhook! Someone spent a lot of time making that hook -- I'm certain he was disappointed to lose it. I'd have been thrilled to find it.

What seest thou else