Sign in to follow this  
Kiezel

Locales Near Lee County

Kiezel

Since I'm still relatively new to Alabama, does anybody know of any good fossil collection sites near (I'm thinking within a 2 hours drive) or in Lee county? I'm currently based in Auburn. Any help or tips are greatly appreciated!

Roz

Not sure where that is in AL, but are you near the border to northeastern MS.?

If you are, have a place you might want to check out.

They might be able to help also...

Fossil site

Guest N.AL.hunter

Catoma Creek in Montgomery. Also, Point-A Dam near Andalusia, but that might be further than 2 hours.

Kiezel
Catoma Creek in Montgomery. Also, Point-A Dam near Andalusia, but that might be further than 2 hours.

Sorry for the slow response.

Roz: I'm 20 minutes from the Alabama - Georgia border, near where Columbus is.

N.AL.hunter: I'll be sure to check those out sometime after football season

jkfoam

Kiezel,

Most of my Alabama collecting has been in the southeastern part of the state near the Mississippi border. Probably further away than you are looking for. I can recomend a reference that gives fossil localities in Coffee County, Covington County, Montgomery County and maybe counties even closer (my Alabama geography is pretty poor). I recomend "Stratigraphic Distribution of Paleocene and Eocene Fossils in the Eastern Gulf Coast Region", by Lyman D. Toulmin, published by the Geological Survey of Alabama as Monograph 13, Volume 1, in 1977. It is still in print and available from the Alabama Geological Survey.

You can order this publication at the Alabama Geological Survey website, http://www.gsa.state.al.us/ .This is really a great publication and a great fossil identification guide for Eocene invertebrates from the Gulf Coast region.

JKFoam

neovenator250

Cool, OP! You an Auburn student then I imagine? I actually did my undergrad work there. There are a few places in Montgomery county that have exposed Cretaceous rock. The type specimen of Appalachiasaurus is actually from there (Demopolis Chalk). Exposures of that mostly marine formation can net you some sweet mosasaur and shark teeth for sure.

Beckyb

I have hearh of fossil leaves in the area. I do not know where which does not help. Maybe the university can help. I have heard of them studying them but not sure. If you find an area and want company I will visit my daughter there and go with you.

Beckyb

Cool, OP! You an Auburn student then I imagine? I actually did my undergrad work there. There are a few places in Montgomery county that have exposed Cretaceous rock. The type specimen of Appalachiasaurus is actually from there (Demopolis Chalk). Exposures of that mostly marine formation can net you some sweet mosasaur and shark teeth for sure.

Can you tell me of the location?