Moroccan Mosasaurs

jnoun11

2 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Awesome! Does this mean more material has now been found of this species? Is it known which layers and deposits the material derives from?

this material is from sidi daoui couche 3

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

6 hours ago, jnoun11 said:

this material is from sidi daoui couche 3

Thanks! And very interesting! So not the same locality as where Carinodens belgicus is found - which I believe is Sidi Chennane, lowest couche III, right?

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 1/29/2022 at 6:03 AM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Thanks! And very interesting! So not the same locality as where Carinodens belgicus is found - which I believe is Sidi Chennane, lowest couche III, right?

It's a completely different specie, rare at sidi daoui, more frequent on sidi chenane.

• I found this Informative 1

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

hi

i m actually at the market place on tucson gem show until the 10 february,if somebody want to speack about mosasaur its perfect moment. welcome

27 minutes ago, jnoun11 said:

hi

i m actually at the market place on tucson gem show until the 10 february,if somebody want to speack about mosasaur its perfect moment. welcome

Unfortunately, Tucson is just too far away from where I live in Europe, as I'd have loved to meet up and talk mosasaurs with you. However, I don't think you ever attend Sainte Marie (which is just around the corner for me), do you?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

14 hours ago, jnoun11 said:

hi

Hello,

just a side question, have you finished your complete Spinosaurus skeleton? I saw a topic once

Cheers

34 minutes ago, Phos_01 said:

Hello,

just a side question, have you finished your complete Spinosaurus skeleton? I saw a topic once

Cheers

Hi Egon,

I believe the thread you mean is the one below, right? Have a look there and may be ask your question again in that thread, as there may be followers of the topic there that are more aware of developments.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

17 hours ago, jnoun11 said:

hi

I’m currently in Tucson, and I’ve been using this topic as a resource since I got here. It’s been incredibly helpful, and it’s a resource I’ve come back to many times. Thank you for taking the time to write it and compile all of the information. 

• I Agree 1

Hi, I am currently having trouble identiying this Morocco tooth, it's overall shape is similar to teeth of  prognathodon anceps, but it also looks a bit angular and it has inequal buccal and lingual surface, which i think are not characteristics of prognathodon teeth. The photos of the teeth are posted below, could you help me figure out its specific genus or species? thank you so much!

a94af0d5f30a4dbb61b91dcd502da04.thumb.jpg.f9169e62616848e8c468ef7ecbb7114b.jpg  c4a5272e49c7782ddb7fb8424b34ff6.thumb.jpg.14dd08a9df452eacd05ffd1824ab107d.jpg

7c9993734d321dc4d3bc182e02802f8.thumb.jpg.6e2f7c53a42a5ecb1897dcc2f564997b.jpg  9905997774a457d0e300f5392b96e10.thumb.jpg.306153ca5b13cdcb54cbc2433d4298c1.jpgb

• Enjoyed 1

8 minutes ago, jasonlwjy said:

Hi, I am currently having trouble identiying this Morocco tooth, it's overall shape is similar to teeth of  prognathodon anceps, but it also looks a bit angular and it has inequal buccal and lingual surface, which i think are not characteristics of prognathodon teeth. The photos of the teeth are posted below, could you help me figure out its specific genus or species? thank you so much!

a94af0d5f30a4dbb61b91dcd502da04.thumb.jpg.f9169e62616848e8c468ef7ecbb7114b.jpg

c4a5272e49c7782ddb7fb8424b34ff6.thumb.jpg.14dd08a9df452eacd05ffd1824ab107d.jpg

7c9993734d321dc4d3bc182e02802f8.thumb.jpg.6e2f7c53a42a5ecb1897dcc2f564997b.jpg

9905997774a457d0e300f5392b96e10.thumb.jpg.306153ca5b13cdcb54cbc2433d4298c1.jpg

With the carinae being perfectly aligned with the anteroposterior axis, the tooth having a slight mesiodistal and negligible lingual curvature, as well as darker enamel near the tip indicative of durophagous adaptations, and, moreover, an overall robust shape, this is undeniably a tooth of Prognathodon giganteus/anceps/sp.. Tylosaurine teeth would be more laterally compressed and have significant mesiodistal curvature, whereas in Mosasaurus the cross-section would be way less symmetrical labiolingually.

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

With the carinae being perfectly aligned with the anteroposterior axis, the tooth having a slight mesiodistal and negligible lingual curvature, as well as darker enamel near the tip indicative of durophagous adaptations, and, moreover, an overall robust shape, this is undeniably a tooth of Prognathodon giganteus/anceps/sp.. Tylosaurine teeth would be more laterally compressed and have significant mesiodistal curvature, whereas in Mosasaurus the cross-section would be way less symmetrical labiolingually.

Thank you for the reply! i had learned a lot from this

I’ve come back to this topic many times, and I’d love to get peoples opinions on what these two mosasaurs might be. 

The jaw section reminds me of Globidens teeth, but they’re not flattened/rounded enough and are too elongated. 
72D1DF31-6575-4E05-B8DD-40ECEA97EB57.thumb.jpeg.217ef127bfa3b8d9434558417caf051a.jpegC024501E-AEA1-4E94-B175-9A77C35577A9.thumb.jpeg.9e29f44d0e75256539c0596370ca5d39.jpeg

This one seems similar to Platecarpus, but I was told that the teeth are not elongated/thin enough for this to be the case. Very peculiar mosasaur teeth, I haven’t come across any teeth similar to this. Comparably, it’s definitely different from my Platecarpus teeth and jaw, and very different from all the loose mosasaur teeth I own. 
B1A3C09C-19D4-4CE8-815F-278D8CE1F0F7.thumb.jpeg.c68a4883c340e71845b61094f69ac261.jpeg71FC9B50-237B-41DF-8B35-E0293B0E0006.thumb.jpeg.aca685696b1814559a862bd343d68718.jpegC47FB553-1865-477B-8FAA-C8CB1DEC04D4.thumb.jpeg.d1dc8c1d4c44f80a862d7d6308865a1b.jpeg

4 hours ago, TyrannosaurusRex said:

The jaw section reminds me of Globidens teeth, but they’re not flattened/rounded enough and are too elongated. 

72D1DF31-6575-4E05-B8DD-40ECEA97EB57.thumb.jpeg.217ef127bfa3b8d9434558417caf051a.jpegC024501E-AEA1-4E94-B175-9A77C35577A9.thumb.jpeg.9e29f44d0e75256539c0596370ca5d39.jpeg

Although in a very bad state and better pictures, especially in the axial and occlusional planes, would be necessary to confirm, I'd say at first glance this looks like Carinodens belgicus to me. With their teeth being rare, their jaws are even more so. Nice find!

4 hours ago, TyrannosaurusRex said:

This one seems similar to Platecarpus, but I was told that the teeth are not elongated/thin enough for this to be the case. Very peculiar mosasaur teeth, I haven’t come across any teeth similar to this. Comparably, it’s definitely different from my Platecarpus teeth and jaw, and very different from all the loose mosasaur teeth I own. 
B1A3C09C-19D4-4CE8-815F-278D8CE1F0F7.thumb.jpeg.c68a4883c340e71845b61094f69ac261.jpeg71FC9B50-237B-41DF-8B35-E0293B0E0006.thumb.jpeg.aca685696b1814559a862bd343d68718.jpegC47FB553-1865-477B-8FAA-C8CB1DEC04D4.thumb.jpeg.d1dc8c1d4c44f80a862d7d6308865a1b.jpeg

This one's a complete fabrication. You can tell by how sterile of other fossils the matrix around the "skull" looks. Real bits and pieces of mosasaur have been used, that's true, but the overall composition is an artwork. As such, it's unlikely the teeth all belong together, although they do appear to be of a consistent morphology. With not much of that even to go on, their facetted nature, to me, suggests Mosasaurus beaugei.

• I Agree 1

3 hours ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Although in a very bad state and better pictures, especially in the axial and occlusional planes, would be necessary to confirm, I'd say at first glance this looks like Carinodens belgicus to me. With their teeth being rare, their jaws are even more so. Nice find!

This one's a complete fabrication. You can tell by how sterile of other fossils the matrix around the "skull" looks. Real bits and pieces of mosasaur have been used, that's true, but the overall composition is an artwork. As such, it's unlikely the teeth all belong together, although they do appear to be of a consistent morphology. With not much of that even to go on, their facetted nature, to me, suggests Mosasaurus beaugei.

Thanks so much for the info, especially on the first piece! That’s really interesting, it’s not a species I’m familiar with. 

The partial skull I actually do not believe is fabricated, not from the seller in Tucson I purchased it from. I won’t name names here, but he’s not someone who would sell fake stuff. It’s stuff he collects and he’s very reputable, and I know people who have visited his site in Morocco where it was collected. :) 

I’m in the process of removing it from the plaster jacket, and I’ve had no issues with doing so thus far that would indicate it’s lack of authenticity. I do really appreciate the comment though! 

8 hours ago, TyrannosaurusRex said:

The partial skull I actually do not believe is fabricated, not from the seller in Tucson I purchased it from. I won’t name names here, but he’s not someone who would sell fake stuff. It’s stuff he collects and he’s very reputable, and I know people who have visited his site in Morocco where it was collected. :) 

I’m in the process of removing it from the plaster jacket, and I’ve had no issues with doing so thus far that would indicate it’s lack of authenticity. I do really appreciate the comment though! 

I agree with Alexander.  Based on your image of the "skull", it looks like a 'frankensteined' imitation.  Bear in mind, even "reputable" dealers can be mistaken at times.  Reality aways trumps reputation.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• 1 month later...

hi

its look not compressed so its not carinodens: i just find something looking like your teeth. that can be a pachyvaranus or some new globidensini.

20220324_114059914.jpg

20220324_114142006.jpg

20220324_114150280.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

• 4 weeks later...

There is a new Moroccan mosasaur here: Thalassotitan atrox, a giant predatory mosasaurid (Squamata) from the Upper Maastrichtian Phosphates of Morocco - ScienceDirect

It is an apex predator related to a couple of Prognathodon species; I wonder if they will eventually get moved to this new Genus?

Unfortunately the article is not open access, so you can only read the abstract although there is already a wikipedia article on it.

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Per Christian said:

Well this thread has been most nice to read through. I have a tooth i was told was Solvayi but now i wonder if it might be tylosaurine? It's 7 cm long and is Moroccan. It doesn't match with the Solvayi post @jnoun11 @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

christian

its not solvay ,it can be a big mosasaurus beaugei.

• Thank You 1

On 8/28/2022 at 6:47 AM, LeeB said:

There is a new Moroccan mosasaur here: Thalassotitan atrox, a giant predatory mosasaurid (Squamata) from the Upper Maastrichtian Phosphates of Morocco - ScienceDirect

It is an apex predator related to a couple of Prognathodon species; I wonder if they will eventually get moved to this new Genus?

Unfortunately the article is not open access, so you can only read the abstract although there is already a wikipedia article on it.

hi leeB

its just prognathodon anceps or mosasaurus anceps update.

i didnt understand why is a new specie, or why prognathodon anceps is not anymore a valid specie. is so much morphodiversity in prognathodon .

also i didnt like the privacy around this publication, to me a scientific publication must be shared around the community for a verification of the validity of the new name.

• I Agree 3

11 minutes ago, jnoun11 said:

hi leeB

i didnt understand why is a new specie, or why prognathodon anceps is not anymore a valid specie. is so much morphodiversity in prognathodon .

also i didnt like the privacy around this publication, to me a scientific publication must be shared around the community for a verification of the validity of the new name.

Wait is prognathodon anceps now thalassotitan?

1 hour ago, jnoun11 said:

hi leeB

1 hour ago, Per Christian said:

Wait is prognathodon anceps now thalassotitan?

Yup, that's what it looks like. There is so much morphological diversity in Prognathodon anceps and researchers have been so inconsistent in their naming of ornamental features in their dentition that a lot of confusion arose on how many and what species of Prognathodon actually occurred in Morocco. Rather than go into lengthy discussions with all parties involved to sort out that mess, it seems that Longrich, Bardet and consortium opted to just define a new species that would override all the confusion... That's how I look at it anyway :)

1 hour ago, Per Christian said:

Well this thread has been most nice to read through. I have a tooth i was told was Solvayi but now i wonder if it might be tylosaurine? It's 7 cm long and is Moroccan. It doesn't match with the Solvayi post @jnoun11 @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

received_1388245514921056.jpeg

The second photograph of the first tooth is quite informative as to it's identification. In this photograph you can clearly tell that the tooth has a slight twist in the plane defined by the two paired carinae, making the tooth curve mediodistally. This is a feature that marks this tooth as Mosasaurus. The strong facetting, moreover, makes it clear that it's M. beaugei rather than M. hoffmannii.

The second tooth, however, is most likely prognathodontid, seeing as there's no clear mediodistal curvature but the curve, instead, seems to run distally only. And while there seem to be few durophagous adaptations in this particular specimen, the facetting is also too prominent for a tylosaur.

11 minutes ago, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

The second photograph of the first tooth is quite informative as to it's identification. In this photograph you can clearly tell that the tooth has a slight twist in the plane defined by the two paired carinae, making the tooth curve mediodistally. This is a feature that marks this tooth as Mosasaurus. The strong facetting, moreover, makes it clear that it's M. beaugei rather than M. hoffmannii.

The second tooth, however, is most likely prognathodontid, seeing as there's no clear mediodistal curvature but the curve, instead, seems to run distally only. And while there seem to be few durophagous adaptations in this particular specimen, the facetting is also too prominent for a tylosaur.

Very interesting! Thank you @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon. I didn't think prognathodon could have such slender teeth.  I realize i didn't post a good top down picture, let me attach it here

received_654134032598008.jpeg