jnoun11

Moroccans Mosasaurs

jnoun11

hi gentlemen s and gentlewomenn s

i will be in tucson at the market place show until the 14 february. so if someone have questions or need identification of Moroccans mosasaur welcome.

Egempaleo

Was lucky to find these among the “ordinary” Globidens teeth. Carinodens belgicus.

Carinodens belgicus.png

LordTrilobite

Nice! that's a great find.

jnoun11

Harranasaurus Khuludae

systematic paleontology

order: Squamata Oppel, 1811

superfamily: mosasauroidae Gervais,1853

Family: Mosasauridae Gervais,1853

subfamily mosasaurinae Gervais,1853

tribe: Globidensini Russel,1967

Genus: Harranasaurus n.gen

type species: Harranasaurus khuludae, Kaddumi,2009

etymology: Harrana, type locality where the type was collected in Jordan and saurus reptile, Khuludae in honor of author's daughter 'Khulude' , Meaning immortal in classic arabic.

stratigraphy: Maestrichian, couche 3

locality: sidi-Daoui , Morocco

extremely rare mosasaur form the globidens tribe . differ from globidens phosphaticus and bigger than carinodens belgicus.

DSC_0185.JPG

DSC_0187.JPG

DSC_0189.JPG

left maxillary

DSC_0191.JPG

bibliography : fossils of the Harrana Fauna and the adjacent areas, Kaddumi 2009

jnoun11

right dentary 13 teeth, the teeth in white are 3D printed form the original teeth find along the skull , but the bones are compressed so they don't fit in the bone, so i have 3D scanned and printed the teeth and making them fit in the dentary.

DSC_0198.JPG

DSC_0199.JPG

DSC_0200.JPG

pterygoid bone and teeth of harranasaurus khuludae

DSC_0194.JPG

DSC_0195.JPG

LordTrilobite

It's interesting that there are so many different species of Mosasaurs in this area.

jnoun11

it must be everywhere the same diversity more and less an open ocean ,the rarity is just an fiction caused by the missing courage of digging an ocean size...in morocco the phosphates mines are oversized and lot of people educated in digging watch the floor...and it s more coming but i publish only the specimens with no doubt here...some mosasaurs are represented by parts only, like carinodens.

the presence of baculites bed on a basal level of phosphate beds can explain this abundance of predators in a same area. some species of mosasaurs live here (prognathodon, baugei, halisaurus) , you find the Juvenile to the seniles specimens, and some are the same size , jung adult , for me they are visitors at the time of the migration of baculites. the phosphatic bed where the bones are find didn't preserve the calcite shells or invertebrates.

(if somebody want to correct my horrible frenglish it will be cool. ;-)  )

LordTrilobite
23 minutes ago, jnoun11 said:

it must be everywhere the same diversity more and less an open ocean ,the rarity is just an fiction caused by the missing courage of digging an ocean size...in morocco the phosphates mines are oversized and lot of people educated in digging watch the floor...and it s more coming but i publish only the specimens with no doubt here...some mosasaurs are represented by parts only, like carinodens.

the presence of baculites bed on a basal level of phosphate beds can explain this abundance of predators in a same area. some species of mosasaurs live here (prognathodon, baugei, halisaurus) , you find the Juvenile to the seniles specimens, and some are the same size , jung adult , for me they are visitors at the time of the migration of baculites. the phosphatic bed where the bones are find didn't preserve the calcite shells or invertebrates.

(if somebody want to correct my horrible frenglish it will be cool. ;-)  )

Your English is pretty good for the most part. Don't worry about it.

Yes, with animals moving quite freely in water it makes sense to find a higher diversity than on land.

Btw, some more complete parts of Carinodens have been found. Hopefully some good material will be published in the near future.