steveo916

I Just Bought This Petrified Wood... Did I Pay To Much?

Fossildude19

Hello, and welcome to the Forum. :)

While we do not typically value fossils (in a monetary sense) here on the forum,...

I would say, if you did not balk at the price, and you are happy with the purchase, - then it was worth it. :)

It is a very cool piece.

Regards,

Wrangellian

I second what Tim said..

Do you have all the information that should come with it, especially the location of origin? If you ever want to resell it in future you might need to have this info, knowing that people like myself don't like to lay out a lot of money on a glorified paperweight - I prefer to have some info to go with it.

Kosmoceras

It is only worth what people are willing to pay. If you were happy to pay x for it then it is worth it for you.

Regards,

steveo916

i really appreciate your responses.

i did some quick research before buying this and the first thing that pops up on a google search is the following.

http://markspetrifiedwood.com/large_logs

i had assumed they where worth much more so i was hoping this was an investment.

it sounds like i may not get my money back if i was to resell?

the origin is grass valley california. or near there.

Edited by steveo916

steveo916

i edited my post above because i had a few beers last night and it didn't come out right.

could you tell me why that in http://markspetrifiedwood.com/large_logs

they are listing logs for $84,000 and $105,000 ?

do people pay that much? what am i missing?

thanks

Auspex

I would categorize this stuff as "Semi-functional Garden Decor"; I suspect the intended client base is wealthy.

Wrangellian

That's another way of saying it seems a wee bit exorbitant.

jpc

I say if you think your piece is 2K worth of cool, than you did OK. As for an investment... well, I don't know. As for pieces on this other web site going for six figures... plus shiping. I say Yikes.

Auspex

I wouldn't think of it as an investment. Were it lapidary grade (it isn't), you might have been able to piece it out and make a nice profit for your effort. You might be able to interest a landscaper, if the cool factor alone doesn't satisfy you.

THobern

I've never understood this response. Of course something is worth what people are willing to pay; however, he asked what it is worth, not for the definition of 'worth'. If value is what people are willing to pay, what could he reasonably expect people to pay?

It is only worth what people are willing to pay. If you were happy to pay x for it then it is worth it for you.

Regards,

Stocksdale

Very cool petrified wood.

For comparison purposes, I thought I'd show the one my son purchased at the recent ESCONI Rock and Gem show.

post-10955-0-57320500-1364177918_thumb.jpgpost-10955-0-56967300-1364177934_thumb.jpgpost-10955-0-21366800-1364177963_thumb.jpg

Of course, his was a bit less. Only 25 cents. But a real bargain and Mr. Skywalker approves.

Auspex

I've never understood this response. Of course something is worth what people are willing to pay; however, he asked what it is worth, not for the definition of 'worth'. If value is what people are willing to pay, what could he reasonably expect people to pay?

As a meaningful appraisal is impossible without examining the specimen (internet photos on a monitor do not qualify), TFF's policy is to decline to do so. I quote from the Forum Rules & Community Standards:

"Please understand that The Fossil Forum cannot appraise the commercial value of a fossil; this is beyond what can be done through pictures on the internet, so please don't ask."

If what is sought is a general opinion of some vague 'worth', then all answers are equally valid and informative.

THobern

...TFF's policy is to decline to do so...

If what is sought is a general opinion of some vague 'worth', then all answers are equally valid and informative.

Not really; some answers contain more substantive information; either about the likely amount that could be received, or about the forum's rules. It's just seems like a coy evasion, and if it is the policy, what's wrong with just stating that?

MarleysGh0st

the origin is grass valley california. or near there.

For a fossil to have scientific value, it should come with a specific location, including the name of the geological formation in which it was found, from which its age can be determined. That information will help identify its exact genus and species name, which should also come with any specimen valued in the four to six-figure range.

Now, if you had collected that specimen yourself and just didn't want to disclose a great site to other collectors, we understand. But since you bought the fossil, for a significant sum, from someone else, better information should have come with it than that!

It's a great looking piece, and it'd be cool to have something like that in my garden. But, personally, I don't buy or sell anything in that price range, simply as a curio.

steveo916

thanks for the replies

i guess this would be just yard art. i know it originated somewhere in grass valley california but the owner died and his kids sold this to me.

it doesn't sound like this stuff gets sold much. would you say i payed

way to much?

little to much ?

about right?

or?

what would you pay?

feel free to say anything to its value. even if its just i might haul it away for you for free :)

caldigger

Perhaps you should consult landscaping companies that deal with big decorative objects such as your stump and inquire what they feel they would sell it to customers for. That would give you some basis of what (monetary value) this piece may hold for potential buyers. Not saying you should sell it, but if that is what you are after, it will at least give you an idea. Value will also be determined according to it's rarity for the area found in, if it is to a fossil coinsure.

If you are looking for it to be hauled away for free, I'm sure someone will be more than happy to oblige you.

Edited by caldigger

tmaier

So how much you think this petrified stump is worth? I found it whilst digging in my garden.

post-16101-0-57444900-1416443187_thumb.jpg

I want it out of the yard soon, I'm putting in a miniature golf course.

Post office refuses to ship, you must pick up.

Stocksdale

So how much you think this petrified stump is worth? I found it whilst digging in my garden.

attachicon.gifFFB.JPG

I want it out of the yard soon, I'm putting in a miniature golf course.

Post office refuses to ship, you must pick up.

I'll stick with the one I got. It fits on my shelf and Luke looks good with it.

I think the person posting the O.P. is long gone. He probably didn't like me adding my 25 cents :)

Edited by Stocksdale