Iansparx

Are There Any Fossils In Milwaukee?

Iansparx

I am new in Milwaukee and I wanted to know if I would be able to find any fossils here. I know there should be fossils in the area from the Devonian and Silurian eras but I heard that glacial activity has made fossils scarce here. Is it conceivable that I could find fossils if I searched the banks of the Milwaukee River or went to the beach? Any help would be very much appreciated

glacialerratic

I've never hunted that side of the lake, but the areas you listed will have some fossils. Might take some poking around to learn which areas are worth hunting. If you can, take a hammer to break open pieces of limestone, esp. in the river bed. The lake shore will have mostly corals.

Good luck!

squalicorax

Hey I live in Milwaukee and collect fossils regularly in the area. Send me a message and I'll get you started.

comfowler

Hey I live in Milwaukee and collect fossils regularly in the area. Send me a message and I'll get you started.

Is that information for anyone that wants to start collecting fossils in the Milwaukee area? :)

squalicorax

yes

aaronboydarts

A few more Milwaukee fossil finds today. A lot of the common crinoid stems and one that may(?) be a phyllocardid from the cambrian period. I'm pretty sure it's something, but I'm guessing. It appears to be a smooth oval shell so I don't think it's a triobite (unfortunately). It's such a perfect oval and dome shape that I feel it must have been some part of a phyllocardid. I should add that it was in the middle of a rock. The front of it was just barely sticking out and a light tap on the edge of the larger stone brought it out.

The big black rock has several beautiful quarter size shells on it and I'm sure there's many more inside, but I didn't have the heart to crack it open since it's such a beautiful rock.

Please let me know if any of you have any ideas or if you enjoy any of the images.

Be Well fellow fossil hunters :D!

post-10078-0-52933900-1379401089_thumb.jpg

post-10078-0-47178600-1379401108_thumb.jpg

post-10078-0-86530400-1379401115_thumb.jpg

post-10078-0-03491000-1379401147_thumb.jpg

post-10078-0-13714800-1379401169_thumb.jpg

post-10078-0-40243100-1379401271_thumb.jpg

aaronboydarts

One more detail of the oval shaped fossil I found today. This is looking strait down on the piece. Ironically on further examination I suspect that's another little creature of some kind protruding out on the upper right corner with the white specs.

Anyhow, so fossils are abundant in Southeast Wisconsin. Let me know what you all think and keep sharing.

Be Well

post-10078-0-23800800-1379407228_thumb.jpg

squalicorax

I think your oval shaped fossil is a pentamerid brachiopod

aaronboydarts

Thank you Squalicorax, I think you're right and I greatly appreciate your help. You taught me something new :) .