Carboniferous Plants From France 25

docdutronc

Lepidostrobus are strobus of lepidodendron ,they are hanhed up in terminal position on the branches ,some of these strobus are dispersed and we can see the sporophylles

These lepidostrobus come from Carboniferous from France ,Belledonne sud in Alpes mountains ,near Grenoble ...

post-967-1226192129_thumb.jpg

post-967-1226192151_thumb.jpg

post-967-1226192183_thumb.jpg

post-967-1226192244_thumb.jpg

I wonder-

what was it like?

What did the forest smell like on a sunny day? What did the insects sound like at noon? At night?

Did the breeze rattle the fronds like bamboo wind chimes?

Your beautiful fossils make it so real that the imagination is free to walk among them.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice, the contrast of yellow on a black background is absolute.

To which part of Lepidodendron do strobus belonged ?. Them remind me recent Araucaria pine cones , just as in elongated version.

Greetings

Very nice, the contrast of yellow on a black background is absolute.

To which part of Lepidodendron do strobus belonged ?. Them remind me recent Araucaria pine cones , just as in elongated version.

Greetings

Those are reproduction organes ,see my post nr 26.....,at the extremity of the branches ....

bruno

post-967-1226219950_thumb.jpg

I wonder-

what was it like?

What did the forest smell like on a sunny day? What did the insects sound like at noon? At night?

Did the breeze rattle the fronds like bamboo wind chimes?

Your beautiful fossils make it so real that the imagination is free to walk among them.

It was qiute sad forest I think. No birds, no batterflys, no bees, no beetles. Only noise from Meganeuras and Dictyoneuridae and the leaves rustle under 2 m Arthropleuridae and wind murmur of the forest branches.

Difficult to say something about smelling - cause no flowers as well.

post-814-1226326147_thumb.jpg

I always imagine the carboniferous forest, with a moss smell, hell-hot, with a high humidity, and the splash sound of strange animals entering big black water pools. And some buzzing sounds of Meganeura fliying around, and the tenous stepping of the cockroaches. :unsure:

I always imagine the carboniferous forest, with a moss smell, hell-hot, with a high humidity, and the splash sound of strange animals entering big black water pools. And some buzzing sounds of Meganeura fliying around, and the tenous stepping of the cockroaches. :unsure:

Yes, the smell of ferns in the hot sun...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yes, the smell of ferns in the hot sun...

Yes the smell of the ferns in the hot sun , but it was not an idyllic forest , breathing was certainly difficult , humididy , damps , moisture , the big concentration of sporanges in the atmosphere,it was not very good for pulmonary breath....,sure no beneficent for modern human species ....

bruno

post-967-1226344595_thumb.jpg

Yes the smell of the ferns in the hot sun , but it was not an idyllic forest , breathing was certainly difficult , humididy , damps , moisture , the big concentration of sporanges in the atmosphere,it was not very good for pulmonary breath....,sure no beneficent for modern human species ....

bruno

Bruno, we have to remember about oxigen concentration as well - up to 35% (or may be a bit less). That would be a hard breathing!

Roman

Bruno, we have to remember about oxigen concentration as well - up to 35% (or may be a bit less). That would be a hard breathing!

Roman

yes Roman ,sure hyperoxy for human !!!!!!!!

I would add a Dictyoneuridae species of insects which were about 10 cm size. Very good illustrations at russian site http://zooexcurs.narod.ru/paleo/Zdenekia_grandis.htm