ted coulianos

post-11324-0-29422200-1364441942_thumb.jpgthought I'd share this little gem; Pleistocene bat jaw from a place called Cavetown, Maryland; limestone cave deposits full of bones. this lower jaw was intact, however I have another one that I had to stich together under a microscope; hope the picture shows suffucient detail; has very tiny & delicate 3-cusped teeth.

I have mostly been lurking for the past few years...but I had to respond for this one. That is an incredible little jaw.

thanks! always afraid I'm going to crush it whenever I take it out of it's jewel case.

I have mostly been lurking for the past few years...but I had to respond for this one. That is an incredible little jaw.

Carnassials in a bat!! Who'da thunk? I do not think I'll be finding or recognizing this one in the Peace River. Nice job on micro photography. SS

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Exquisite, and very rare :wub:

Any avian material from that site?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sorry, no. Only some fragmentary long bat bones & some snake vertebrae.

Wow! :drool::wub:

Amazing fossil! Great photography as well.

Is the scale in cm?

Thanks for posting this.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks, scale is in inches( my crudely drawn scale until I find something a little more professional looking, I'm afraid.); this was just a little too 3-demensional to fit on a micropaleo slide.

I see a shrew. not a bat. It looks like it has colored enamel which is found in shrews. Also the large procumbent (sticking straight out) incisor is shrewoid. hre is a picture of a myotis jaw (the best one I found on the web)... differnt than yours.

Myotis jaw

I'm gonna see if I can find a shreww jaw on the web, as well.

Shrew jaw

Just a thought....

• I found this Informative 4

I see a shrew. not a bat. It looks like it has colored enamel which is found in shrews. Also the large procumbent (sticking straight out) incisor is shrewoid. hre is a picture of a myotis jaw (the best one I found on the web)... differnt than yours.

Myotis jaw

Shrew jaw

Just a thought....

WOW, and a big ' thanks!' I made the assumption all these years that it was bat because it was found with bat remains (as did the original collector); you're right, it does show more in common with the picture of the shew jaw. Will have to revise my label & take a hard look at any other specimens I have. Thanks again for the help!

Shrew jaws are really cool... colored teeth... very few of those exist in the world of teeth, and esp in Pleistocene jaws, the colors are often preserved.

• I found this Informative 1

• 4 months later...

It's good to know the difference and it's nice to have a sample of both.

There is some of that Cumberland Cave stuff floating around in private collections. Years ago, someone on Ebay was offering pieces of matrix with teeth and bones in it and someone had a couple of jaws at Tucson 2-3 years ago.

Myotis jaw

Shrew jaw

Just a thought....

Nice jaw. Not too many people can say they have a fossil jaw from a venomous mammal.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...