Gps Trackers For Fossil Hunting!

ShadyW

I'm sure many of you use GPS devices (Garmin, TomTom etc.) in your cars, and some even have hand-held GPS that you take with you when hunting...

But I've just "discovered" a new class of cheap GPS logger which I think could be an amazing addition to our fossil hunts.

For <$50 (after discounts) I just bought this little GPS Tracker/Photo Logger:

bd5b_1.JPG

It's a little device (3.5"x2"x1") that fits in a pocket and just logs wherever you go. It has no feedback or readout other than a couple of little status LEDs. Once you're home from your trip, you connect it via USB to your computer and transfer its log file, which is in standard GPS Log notation. Then you can plot your trail using software like Google Earth. Using the included software you can also "geotag" your digital photographs, allowing you to place your photos accurately on a map of the area using Flikr or Google or various other photo sharing sites.

I'll post more info as I use it more, but for now I'm really impressed!

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

For those who know (or don't care) where they're going, but can't remember where they've been! :P

Actually, I think that's pretty cool; I can think of several uses. (Tracer could attach one to T. Jr....better yet, we could hide one in Dan's car; MUAHAHA!)

How does it go about logging your photos?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest Nicholas

Sounds good to me, I would have multiple uses for it... fishin' spots, Snarein' spots(been ages since I've done that though), Fossilin' spots....

:drool:

For those who know (or don't care) where they're going, but can't remember where they've been! :P

Actually, I think that's pretty cool; I can think of several uses. (Tracer could attach one to T. Jr....better yet, we could hide one in Dan's car; MUAHAHA!)

How does it go about logging your photos?

The photo tagging works by simply synchronizing with your camera's clock. There's also a dedicated "Tag Now" button on the unit that puts a special tag in the GPS log. With the included software, you can associate photos with a particular tag, or just place them on your GPS track by their time stamp.

It really does have incredible potential for placing photos of specific fossils on the exact spot where you found them. I can't wait to get going using it for real (instead of plotting my dog-walking trips around the neighborhood!)

Every complex scientific problem has an elegant and simple solution... and it is wrong.

Sounds like it has potential. I'd like to see how it works in the fossiling field though. Let us know as you use it on your next hunt.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

It has good promise for those trips where you're blindfolded and secretly taken to a friends' favorite collecting site :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

It has good promise for those trips where you're blindfolded and secretly taken to a friends' favorite collecting site :D

I am with you, sure would help find the secret places and then they wouldn't be a secret to you anymore. All is fair in fossil hunting!!!!!!!!!

My husband always carries a GPS when we are fossil collecting. It has help us on the rivers b/c with changing water levels the banks start looking different.

The best days are spent collecting fossils