Can Fossiliferous Gravel And Rock Be Ordered Or Delivered...

Clayton Jones

Here in central Oklahoma, fossils are scarce, all we have is red dirt and blank sandstone. I know of a great many people living here that would love to go fossil hunting, but don't know where to go, not to mention that you have to own or know somebody that owns land to hunt on within the state and that land is probably not close by.

I've had an idea for a while to try to get fossiliferous stone delivered somewhere nearby so that people in my area can go fossil hunting instead of traveling several hours away. I've heard of museums and mines that dump their leftovers out for the public to sift through and I'd love to be able to bring the fossils to the people here in my area.

How hard would it be to have a dumptruck worth of fossiliferous gravel delivered to somewhere here in central Oklahoma?

WhVUieh.png
My attempt at creating a museum and community center to help people find an interest in the world around them.

There are various places online that ship small quantities of fossil gravel, but I have no idea where you'd get a truckload from. :unsure:
Also U-dig quaries sell fossiliferous rock with trilos in it for hunting at home See my LINK.

Truck load sounds expensive...
Good luck with this...
Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19
  • I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Agree about the expense. Dump trucks charge by the mile because of the cost of fuel. However the idea might be sound for micro collectors. I'm surprised it's never come up before. Or maybe it did and I missed it :P

That's about what I figured. Maybe I just need to see about leasing a plot of land to get my own gravel from :D

WhVUieh.png
My attempt at creating a museum and community center to help people find an interest in the world around them.

you want some gravel from the aurora mine? ill give you 8 bags. you can find some awesome shark teeth in there.

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

When you get into the pennsylvanian and mississippian strata out east you tend to find a lot more fossils. You could try contacting the Lafarge quarry here in Tulsa. I've found a number of fossils and phosphate concretions containing fossils in their gravel. You could also look into a number of other quarries in this area, most of the limestone is fossiliferous.

Another option is to look south in the Arbuckle mountains. There used to be a number of quarries in that area, if there are still some operational, they might be able to help.

If I recall, there are also a number of quarries near the lake Fort Gibson dam, some of those might also be able to help.

Edited by PetrolPete

I'll see about getting in contact with a quarry. How did you find fossils from the LaFarge quarry; laying gravel or on a fossil hunt?

WhVUieh.png

The Lafarge quarry provides most, if not all, of the gravel used around Tulsa, and I've looked through several places the gravel was used. I also know several people who have gone hunting in the quarry and have found fossils. Unfortunately the time I was going to go I got sick and the trip was never rescheduled.

<<There are various places online that ship small quantities of fossil gravel, but I have no idea where you'd get a truckload from. :unsure:

Also U-dig quaries sell fossiliferous rock with trilos in it for hunting at home >>

Interesting, I never knew this.

In my dreams, I'd have someone scrape off an acre or so of our local Muncie Creek Shale and dump it in my yard. I could then do RomanK-style collecting of nodules for a few years. :)

Context is critical.