What's Your Niche!

Guest Nicholas

Well most of my collection is of shark teeth but my number one would have to be archeocetes. With a close second being any kind of pathological tooth.

Hemmm I must say marine fossils are my favorite as our area has an abundant verity and locations to collect them. I like finding fossils that are not as numerous are others. I will do the fossil dance when I find Crocodilus teeth for one Hexanchus gigas (cow-six gill) are up top of my list and Notorhynchus primigenius (Seven gill) is up there too. But now I do love to come across that occasional Squalodon tooth. My husband on the other hand will say for him it is the Megalodon and he is forever looking out for that Megachasma sp. I do have a soft spot for echinoids also. I just can't pen it down to one with such a verity in our area.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

• 4 weeks later...

My niche is not a particular fossil, but rather the environment and method of searching. I am a diver and have been one for a very long time. I just love working underwater. I am comfortable diving in underwater spots that contain fossils, like blackwater, cold water, swift current, log jams, even diving solo, just another perfect day at the beach to me. I have only been collecting fossils for about three years, which means I am a real fossil rookie to most of the people on the forum. This forum is a great place to lurk and learn.

I migrated to fossils from diving Spanish shipwrecks and doing underwater archaeology. My fossil collection includes sharks teeth, marine fossils, land mammal fossils, also some non-fossil human artifacts, like pottery, points and a few old bottles. Most of my hunting trips are to other states. I have also hunted fossils on land...but that’s a lot of work (my hat is off to you folks who do because you have to work really hard for your fossils) It’s hot too. I just can’t convert to totally hunting land sites because I would really miss all the alligators, snapping turtles, snakes and sharks. Oh yeah, I really hate spiders. There are NO spiders underwater, the fish eat them. I hope I didn't change the intent of the thread toooo much!

reptile footprints

That's a real scroll-stopper (you know I like ichnos)!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

That's a real scroll-stopper (you know I like ichnos)!

I know you love those, and I promise to post some pictures once I've organized them.

Anything I don't presently have in my collecion. (Isn't it always that way) We want what we don't have

Of course it has to have a back bone. Vertebrate is my thing.

v = 0.25 * g0.5 * SL1.67 * h-1.17

To paraphrase Aldo Leupold: "I love all fossils, but am in love with birds".

Other member's collections, posted here, are good surrogate for things I cannot have.

(click on the image to animate)

I saw one of those in NC! B)B)B):D

post-23-1229227121_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

Archived