What's Your Niche!

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

I've noticed that we have many members who are highly specialized in their specific niche of collecting. So I'm putting this out as a general question to all, what fossils are you specifically interested in. If there are those who like all fossils but enjoy a particular kind over another... I would still very much like to hear about it. So elaborate a little and tell us what you like! :)

Guest Nicholas

I'll go first:

My biggest interest would have to be Proboscidea type fossils, I love all of these specimens because they include some of my favorite extinct animals. Those animals being Mammoth, Mastodon, Platybelodon, Gomphothere... etc. Although I do not have any of these fossils yet these creatures have inspired and sparked my greatest interests in paleontology.

Just as I have a huge fascination in Proboscidea, I also have a huge fascination in Bears. The short-faced bear and cave bear being the most interesting of the ancient.

I'm also a very huge fan of interesting extinct terrestrial animals the more odd looking the better. These being creatures like: Oreodont, Hydrocodon, Giant Ground Sloth, You name it... Mammal, Reptile, or bird... doesn't matter. I'm very open to all types of ancient vertebrate creatures.

As for non-vertebrates, I love them for study purposes because they are more accessible to me... Inverts from IN/KY and Plants from my own locality.

As I've said many times I'm more of a fossil opportunist, and an eclectic collector enjoying the worth of all fossils. The only fossils I'm not really crazy about are shark teeth... saying that I'll never pass up a nice meg, great white, or mako... but the smaller ones... who is to say. :)

Looking forward to seeing others input.

My main area of interest is the mammals...and more specifically, the Perissodactyls (horses, rhinos, tapirs, chalicotheres, etc.). Of course...I won't turn up my nose at almost any kind of fossil...especially if it is a different kind of mammal.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Being pretty new to collecting I like finding most anything, I have to say artifacts is my main niche but these fossils get pretty addicting,I reckon I just like finding stuff old stuff

Well, if you haven't guessed already.... ^_^ , Shark Teeth, and more specifically, Hemipristis serra teeth.

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Ammonites and echinoids from my general area.

My husband is way into shark teeth and echinoids.

Next time I go up to WY, I will be collecting at my special spot fish and plant materials.

Although, I won't pass up about anything unless it is badly worn.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

To paraphrase Aldo Leupold: "I love all fossils, but am in love with birds".

Other member's collections, posted here, are good surrogate for things I cannot have.

(click on the image to animate)

post-423-1226329709_thumb.png

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I for one am interested in all fossils, but really like the verts the best. The challenge to me is the hunt, knowing that I collected it my self is my biggest reward.

I don't specialize in anything specific, but instead thrive on variety. Forced into a corner, I'd say Texas Pleistocene vert material of all types is a current area of focus. I like laying hands on something new to the collection whenever possible. Still vying for a good mammoth tooth. I also like Upper Cretaceous ammonites and echinoids. Ongoing goals include having as many species named after my family as possible, and locating ludicrously productive virgin sites at every opportunity...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

My main area of interest is the mammals...and more specifically, the Perissodactyls (horses, rhinos, tapirs, chalicotheres, etc.). Of course...I won't turn up my nose at almost any kind of fossil...especially if it is a different kind of mammal.

-Joe

I'm the same way. I mainly collect fish or mammal material because of the formation I hunt. Whales, sharks, ect. mainly the bulk of my collect is sharks teeth from later periods.

I'm mainly a teeth, claw, and horn person. I'm looking for material from many vertebrates including early whales and reptiles. I'm not much of a bone person but if I find one I don't pass it up. I've recently gotten into trilobites but haven't found them in the field since I was a kid. I'm looking to expand my collection of them till I have a variety of different types.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

My interest is in vertebrate teeth mostly, I do like shark teeth also but it is not my main focus. I have a long list of fossils to collect mainly because i don't get out much as soon as i get dive certified i will be finding lots more material. I don't care to collect bones unless they are complete and i will probably end up selling that stuff.

I don't specialize in anything specific, but instead thrive on variety. Forced into a corner, I'd say Texas Pleistocene vert material of all types is a current area of focus. I like laying hands on something new to the collection whenever possible. Still vying for a good mammoth tooth. I also like Upper Cretaceous ammonites and echinoids. Ongoing goals include having as many species named after my family as possible, and locating ludicrously productive virgin sites at every opportunity...

I already have made up a name for a fossil that is named after me. I have been thinking about it for a while. Now, I am sure y'all all think I am crazy.

I can't come up with anything clever enough for my signature...yet.

i would like to find one very well preserved specimen of most any fossil that isn't a micro, pyritized, or huge. i get a big kick out of finding any i haven't seen before, regardless of their rarity.

the things i most want to find, not necessarily in the order listed, are a nice piece of a mosasaur, a mammoth tooth, a verifiable dinosaur bone, a decent megalodon tooth, etc. anything from extinct vertebrates in texas is cool. but i like it all.

Hidy ho boys and girls:

My main interest is in Late Cretaceous fossils, Dinosaur is my main interest but I do have a shopping list

(as we call it) that has one of just about everything Cretaceous on it.

I have interests in all fossils, but shark teeth have been keeping me busy. I am now focusing on expanding my collection to include shark teeth from other states and countries.

My niche is that I know a little about everything and a lot about nothing, so that makes me dangerous, helpful and possibly worthless at times. I can usually tell you, "Yeah, that's a fossil." Maybe even the genus. After that, well I know lots of people that can help. :P I also have a talent for being within a few feet of what I was looking for while someone else picks it up. And I seem to have the ability to know where things are/were located in places that no longer exist, but can't find many objects that I know are lost in my own house. What the heck am I supposed to do with that?

...I seem to have the ability to know where things are/were located in places that no longer exist, but can't find many objects that I know are lost in my own house. What the heck am I supposed to do with that?

Run for office.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi all,

I collect sharksteeth and echinoids, so every location I visit is one were you can find these. On the location I do take other fossil specimens with me home to get a complete view of fossil find from that particular location.

I try to do this also with trades. First of all I am always interested in sharksteeth or echinoids, often on a second trade I also ask for 'secondary' fossils :P

Greetings from Norway!

Martijn

Qua patet orbis

I tend to lean a fair bit towards marine fossils any date any type with a preference for my own local fossil record but if i had to say i specealised in any particular group id have to say ammonites and nautilus's

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away

i have a huge variety in my collection but the things i like to find the most are in order, Jurassic dinosaur material, mid-Cambrian inverts from utah, green river formation, manning canyon shale(a carboniferous deposite of nice leaves and a few animals that is close to home) after that it is anything fossilized. although trilobites ingeneral are my favorite group.

Brock