Preserving Fossils

Ronbo

On 9/13/2020 at 2:54 AM, Josesaurus rex said:

Is it necessary to apply the chemical compounds that you have mentioned here in all kinds of fossils?  or is it optional?  
I have teeth of megalodon,

one of carcharodontosaurus,

one of spinosaurus,

pyritized ammonites,

pieces of wood and plate with fossil leaves as the most important of my collection.  

Should I submit them to a specific conservation process or may they remain as they are?

Curious too… it seems like it’s a good idea even for plant fossils, since it was mentioned, but double checking.

No, its not necessary on all fossils.  If they are solid and strong they dont have to have it, but on vertebrate material I generally apply a thin mixture just ensure any micro-cracks cant get worse.  Some fossils, especially plants may look much worse if a coating is applied.  Its always best to try on broken scraps before applying to the really nice one.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I agree. If a fossil appears stable and won't be handled too frequently, there's often no direct need to apply chemical consolidants that may affect appearance. I have rarely apply any form of consolidation to plant fossils or invertebrate material I collected over 30 years ago as a child, and it's all still stable. Enamel - that is teeth - often don't really need consolidation either. However, for vertebrate material, consolidation may be necessary to ensure long-term preservation. Even then, though, a lot of museums don't do it, to ensure the integrity of a specimen. So depending on preservation and locality, you may be able to perfectly get away not applying a consolidant. Again, a lot depends on the state of the fossil after collection and preparation, its storage, and how often you intend to handle it...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett