Micro Manipulation/micro Prep Tool--On The Cheap

mikecable

In this case "cheap" doesn't mean low-quality, but just inexpensive. Our school district art teacher turned me on to this "hack". Disposable plastic mechanical pencils are available for as little as six bucks for two dozen on Amazon and other places. They hold leads ranging from 0.5 mm to 0.9 mm.

They also hold sewing needles. A bit of super glue and you have a great micro tool.

post-7463-0-13632800-1364858446_thumb.jpg

post-7463-0-96319700-1364858517_thumb.jpg

post-7463-0-98559300-1364858588_thumb.jpg

Yes, you can do the same thing with dental tools--but without controlling the precision as much. And you can do the same thing with a pin vise, but it costs more and isn't as easy in the hand.

I haven't tried yet, but I'm sure I could take my Dremel and hone sewing needles into blunt and/or chisel points.

• I found this Informative 2

i'd be more careful w the Dremel, as sewing needles shatter, even while sewing cloth, it is a sure bet there will be shrapnel if applied to a stone.Sounds like a great idea I will try in the mechanical pencils though, thanks :)

• I found this Informative 2

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

In this case "cheap" doesn't mean low-quality, but just inexpensive. Our school district art teacher turned me on to this "hack". Disposable plastic mechanical pencils are available for as little as six bucks for two dozen on Amazon and other places. They hold leads ranging from 0.5 mm to 0.9 mm.

They also hold sewing needles. A bit of super glue and you have a great micro tool.

attachicon.gifDSCF4196.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4199.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4200.JPG

Yes, you can do the same thing with dental tools--but without controlling the precision as much. And you can do the same thing with a pin vise, but it costs more and isn't as easy in the hand.

I haven't tried yet, but I'm sure I could take my Dremel and hone sewing needles into blunt and/or chisel points.

Excellent idea!!!!!!!! I would avoid needle and dremel combination for safety....

Edited by pleecan

i'd be more careful w the Dremel, as sewing needles shatter, even while sewing cloth, it is a sure bet there will be shrapnel if applied to a stone.Sounds like a great idea I will try in the mechanical pencils though, thanks :)

Excellent idea!!!!!!!! I would avoid needle and dremel combination for safety....

How about a whetstone?

Steve

How about a whetstone?

There's a reason I where a flak vest along with my safety glasses.

that's a great idea, the whetstone.

There are a lot of folks who save their broken tools and also use nails to make custom tools and tool tips.The metal is a little less brittle for the most part :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

The metal in medical hypodermic needles is less stiff and can be cut with a Dremel (with safety glasses, etc.) but please don't use used ones.

• 3 weeks later...

I sure wish I would have seen this a few days ago when picking some matrix off of one of my fossils with a pin. My thumb and finger hurt for days afterwards!

attachicon.gifDSCF4196.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4199.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCF4200.JPG

I made one and didn't even use super glue, and it works great

Thanks for the tip (no pun intended :) ). I've been trying to figure out a way to pick through a sizable sample of silicious residue with ostracods and other micros. So far, I've learned to find something that isn't flexible. Too much pressure, and..... FLINGGGGG....

Context is critical.

I like the idea and am going to try it, thanks. I usually just make mine with some scrap 3/8 or 1/2" dowel rods. Just push a hole in the rod with a larger needle and glue the smaller one in the hole.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 2 months later...

Someone suggested to me the same idea for fine prep work on Green River fish. Of course, air abrasion is probably finer and faster but this idea is cheaper if you don't have the air prep equipment.

Collecting Microfossils - a hobby concerning much about many of the little

paraphrased from Dr. Robert Kesling's book

My kids figured out that they could cut off the brushing head of a vibrating toothbrush and glue in a small nail or pin, that might work better at prepping soft rock. I think it was an oral-b pulsar toothbrush, and when the battery runs out you can change it too.

• 4 weeks later...

Great little tool for sorting. I'm having trouble manipulating the fossils once I've put them under the scope. trying to turn over a tiny fossil to see the other side can be difficult. tweezers could damage some of the fragile material especially since it is tough to gauge the pressure applied. any suggestions?

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

Great little tool for sorting. I'm having trouble manipulating the fossils once I've put them under the scope. trying to turn over a tiny fossil to see the other side can be difficult. tweezers could damage some of the fragile material especially since it is tough to gauge the pressure applied. any suggestions?

A very fine sable brush moistened with saliva can be useful. For the smallest stuff you strip it down to a single bristle.

Thanks mike

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

• 2 weeks later...

just don't use too much spit, or you will never get the really tiny (forams,conodonts) off the brush.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks