Mystery Microfossil

jualhadun87

Hello!

After recently venturing into the wonderful world of micro fossils, I have found a few items I have no idea what they are. Included below is four pictures of one such item, found in pre-seived (to 1mm) sample of Oxford Clay (Jurassic). The item is very 3D and the fluted design on the indent on one side are particulary smooth and stunning under the microscope (which is not done justice in the pictures). The pictures show both sides, and some of them are taken on top of the date on a penny for scale. Also, any decent resources for microfossil identification? I havent been able to find much online. Thanks in advance for any help!

post-11267-0-15645100-1364913598_thumb.jpg

post-11267-0-55927800-1364913599_thumb.jpg

post-11267-0-11140700-1364913601_thumb.jpg

post-11267-0-79915900-1364913602_thumb.jpg

This looks like an individual chamber from an ammonite.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I wouldn't expect much in the way of micros, but I am posting this book in Documents section, it looked worth a download :

Fossils of the. Oxford Clay. Edited by DAVID M. MARTILL and JOHN D. HUDSON. THE PALAEONTOLOGICAL ASSOCIATION. LONDON. 1991 :)

Edited by xonenine
  • I found this Informative 1

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

A good introductory resource for microfossils is

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Microfossils-D-J-Jones/dp/0028473205/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364917924&sr=8-1&keywords=introduction+to+microfossils

Unlike more recent texts, this is affordable. The 1969 edition is a facsimile of the 1956 edition, so it doesn't matter which one you buy. Jones also covers mesofossils, in addition to the traditional microfossils (forams, fusinilids and conodonts), so the book is more useful in my opinion.

This site--

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/GeolSci/micropal/conodont.html

is a great resource for traditional microfossils.

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for the reference Mikecable! I ordered it up for 1 dollar plus shipping, got it in the mail today and its been a perfect resource for getting started! Thanks again!