Found In Brook..nj..cretaceous

toren

The first 6 pics is 1 thing ...But the last 3 pics .Never seen before in other brooks.. this is the first time in this part of the brook...seen rocks that look close to them and never a branch....they have more bumps then i ever seen...found 6 or so on same gravel bar....there was even a larger one i left there...(1 inch sq's in some pics)

post-11484-0-41777800-1365038159_thumb.jpgpost-11484-0-76197700-1365038168_thumb.jpgpost-11484-0-70280600-1365038179_thumb.jpgpost-11484-0-50036900-1365038193_thumb.jpgpost-11484-0-39197200-1365038204_thumb.jpgpost-11484-0-74200200-1365038228_thumb.jpgpost-11484-0-65243700-1365038240_thumb.jpgpost-11484-0-08526700-1365038251_thumb.jpg

The items pictured in 3,4,5, looks like osteoderms from a fish....They are abnormal bony grow on the skeletal elements of a fish.

Here are two from my collection,,,,,These were found in Miocene deposits in Virgina.....but they can be found in New Jersey Cretaceous deposits as well.

post-2085-0-03664300-1365124663_thumb.jpg

post-2085-0-62359600-1365124675_thumb.jpg

Edited by njfossilhunter

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Ghost shrimp burrows

Agree with the ghost shrimps burrows in picture 7.

Tony

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

The item picture's 3,4,5, looks like osteoderms from a fish....They are abnormal bony grow on the skeletal elements of a fish.

Here are two from my collection,,,,,These were found in Miocene deposits in Virgina.....but they can be found in New Jersey Cretaceous deposits as well.

Are these the same as Tilly bones?

Are these the same as Tilly bones?

Yes.......Thanks for reminding me of the name Tilly.....LOL. its tought getting old.

Thats what it looks like to me spiecally the under side.

Tony

Yes.......Thanks for reminding me of the name Tilly.....LOL. its tought getting old.

Thats what it looks like to me spiecally the under side.

I can see that too, I was thinking shark coprolite because it looked a bit spiral in shape, but maybe not :blink:

I can see that too, I was thinking shark coprolite because it looked a bit spiral in shape, but maybe not :blink:

I thought so to,,until I seen the underside

Tony

Ty everyone I seen the GS barrows on a site right after I posted this ...lol..Yes NJ fossilhunter u my have something there...as soon as read this I thought of the sturgeon... ty again...and i have another thing im going to post have a look pls... : )

Ty everyone I seen the GS barrows on a site right after I posted this ...lol..Yes NJ fossilhunter u my have something there...as soon as read this I thought of the sturgeon... ty again...and i have another thing im going to post have a look pls... : )

Your welcome.....Another word for this boney grow is also called a Hyperostotic Bone.

Tony

• 3 weeks later...

ok after looking around at tilly bones... and finding some coprolite ...thats what i beleave it to be coprolite...but if i do find a tilly bone im sure i will be able to ID it now ...haha TY all again

Tilly bones aren't osteoderms. They are hyperostotic vertebra or portions of vertebra, such as the neural arch or the haemal arch; sometimes they can form on the skull as well. They are named after Tilly Edinger (1897 - 1967) a paleontologist who studied the evolution of the brain as revealed by fossil evidence. My dog Tilly is named after her. All my dogs have such names - right now I have Simpson and Tilly. Former dogs were Huxley, and Darwin.

• I found this Informative 2

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Question for you Rich, do all tilly bones look like the one in njfossilhunters pictures?

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it."

Upton Sinclair

Not so much, Bob. The ones NJFossilHunter posted are more typical. I'll post some pictures of my sample tonight.

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

• 2 years later...

I'm not sure this is worth commenting on, from back in 2013, but the IDs given need tweaking.

Scylla was right on one, but wrong on the other of the fossils originally posted by Toren from the New Jersey Cretaceous. Scylla was correct that the circular fossil in the first five pics at the top is a spiral coprolite. Specifically, it's the top part of one. The spiral structure and ropy texture are typical of them. They become spiral by passing through the spiral valve of a shark or ray intestine (most bony fish don't have a valve like this, and their coprolites [save for those of lungfish and coelacanths] are just lumpy and elongate). All of the discussion of Tilly bones here was misplaced. I know of them only from large marine bony fish of the late Tertiary, Pleistocene, and Recent, of the Gulf and Atlantic Coastal Plain.

The three burrow-filling fragments shown in the last three pics at the top here, were misidentified by Scylla as burrow filling frags. of the ghost shrimp Mesostylus (formerly Callianassa mortoni) with the trace fossil name Ophiomorpha nodosa Lundgren, 1891. Unlike the smaller burrow filling frags., those of Oph. have spherical balls of sediment lining the burrow in orderly rings (ghost shrimp appear to like an orderly burrow). In these frags. however, the oval pellets aren't organized, but are random. What these are is small burrows filled with pelletal coprolites, possibly mollusk in origin. They're given the trace fossil name Alcyonidiopsis longobardiae Massolongo, 1856. As their burrows are filled with snarge, I'd say neatness was not an issue with them.

Both fossils are uncommon, but not rare, in the NJ Cret.

• I found this Informative 2