Sign in to follow this  
Tylerw1211

Has Anyone Been To Big Brook Recently?

Tylerw1211

Just curious to see how it's been. The last time I was at Big Brook was a few days after hurricane sandy.

lordpiney

I brought my 5 yr old daughter there a few weeks ago for her 1st fossil hunt...it's pretty much the same as it ever is. maybe a little more silted in than it used to be.

Vordigern

I brought my 5 yr old daughter there a few weeks ago for her 1st fossil hunt...it's pretty much the same as it ever is. maybe a little more silted in than it used to be.

thats awesome, I always loved hunting there with my daughter at that age, now at 17 she cant be bothered :P

Jersey

How was it after the Hurricane? Were lots of good teeth exposed or was everything good washed downstream? Just curious.

lordpiney

I generally dont hunt Big Brook, so i couldnt tell you how it was right after the storm. i was too busy looking for a place to live. my apartment was totaled.

lordpiney

thats awesome, I always loved hunting there with my daughter at that age, now at 17 she cant be bothered :P

Yes it was Mike. she loved it, i loved it...we had a great time. I hope she never looses interest in it.

Tylerw1211

How was it after the Hurricane? Were lots of good teeth exposed or was everything good washed downstream? Just curious.

I didn't notice anything different than usual. I was there for less than an hour and only got a few teeth.

Trevor

Anyone know how's Ramanessin, did the storm or recent rains bring up anything nice? I have not been there in a long time because of a packed schedule.

toren

There was a strom in Jan. that was worse then sandy or the 13" of snow they had the week after and i did very well this spring

Scylla

Anyone know how's Ramanessin, did the storm or recent rains bring up anything nice? I have not been there in a long time because of a packed schedule.

Was there yesterday for an hour, very altered terrain, but still about the same rate of fossil formation finding. Saw a bunch of small eels though :D Edited by Scylla

Darwin Ahoy

Lampreys. My favorite little critters in the streams haha.

toren

yep seen the lampreys too. thier where 7 of them building a nest in the gravel bar and some rainbows spawning too

Scylla

Lampreys huh? Well then I'm glad we couldn't catch one. Thought they were small for eels :blink: We went there as a last minute whim after the gem-mineral show.

Trevor

Sometimes when i am sifting they get caught in the screen. I get a dazed for a little(thinking it's a snake), but then, noticing its an eel, I let it go. I have caught a few with my hands, and I imagined the would be smooth but they're slimy and strong for their size. They are pretty cool and my favorite creature to find while fossiling too.

Trevor

Also, how has Shark River been doing? I went there and actually did pretty well. Has anyone else had the same luck?

jneikrie

Every time I go to Shark River I don't do very well. I end up with under ten teeth after a good 4 or 5 hours. I was at Ramenessin yesterday and came out with about 50 shark teeth, some reaching about 1.5 inches. A mammal tooth, some kind of hip bone, and what I think is a native american fishing weight. I'm curious what "pretty well" means from shark river. What have you found there?

Darwin Ahoy

I haven't been to Shark River TOO many times, but I do have a hollow chubutensis and a nice Xiphodolamia ensis from there...from very easily accessed and commonly collected areas. So there's certainly stuff there to find.

But no, it's not going to be Ramanessin. I was there a week or so ago with a friend, and did quite well. That being said, it is a completely different fauna, so it's not really comparing apples to apples.

Edited by Darwin Ahoy

dsrtfox1942

I haven't been to Shark River TOO many times, but I do have a hollow chubutensis and a nice Xiphodolamia ensis from there...from very easily accessed and commonly collected areas. So there's certainly stuff there to find.

But no, it's not going to be Ramanessin. I was there a week or so ago with a friend, and did quite well. That being said, it is a completely different fauna, so it's not really comparing apples to apples.

I have been to Big Brook twice now. I am interested in heading to Ramanessin. Where is the best place to park along the brook to hunt? Unlike Big Brook, I can't seem to turn any info up on it.

Darwin Ahoy

On Holmdel Middletown Road, near the intersection with 520, there is a parking area across from the school. There is a trailhead sign there, so you can't miss it.

dsrtfox1942

Sorry to revive the thread, didn't realize anyone had responded. Thank you. Do you think there would be a problem bringing a 5 gallon bucket to load with material to sift there? The reason I ask, is because my father loves coming with me but he is disabled and it kills him to be down on his knees and bending all day. I was thinking he could sit on a folding stool and sift through material I load up in the bucket for him. I wouldn't bring a shovel, just my normal small trowel. Wouldn't take any material home in it. Just don't wanna step on anybody's toes.

lordpiney

I can't imagine anyone would have any objections to you using a bucket so your dad can sift.

Grimboots

To potentially take this topic in another direction regarding Big Brook Preserve - last week I went their for the first time, coincidentally it was also my first hunt, and had done my research. Basically they allow sifting and trowels in the stream itself, nothing on the walls and no shovels. I believe this was also posted on a sign at the entrance if memory serves me correct. When my son and I arrived there, there was also a field trip of what I assume were college kids and a professor.

What I did see them carrying in were large shovels, and pickaxes and digging into the side of the hills on the stream. I did not say anything at the time, because I did not know if they had a special permit or something along those lines. I would love for this Preserve survive as long as possible, and for the state to allow us to still hunt there but I feel like I may have missed an opportunity to protect the preserve.

Should I have notified someone, or said something? I am rather curious of what other locals think.

Auspex

There is no way they were able to get permission to dig in the consolidated banks; this is very bad form, and the leader should have known so! If you know the name of the school, send 'em a letter. Activities like this will get collecting banned there.

Grimboots

Auspex I don't, but know I wish I was a little more vigilant in at least observing who it was. Thanks for the replies everyone, like everyone here I want to make sure we can hunt these grounds as long as we can for as many generations that the ground will allow. I'll keep a closer eye out in the future.

Plax

perhaps researchers may dig but not greedy fossil collectors? I wouldn't assume that the party you observed didn't have permission to dig. Would think that they'd have to have permission of the actual property owner though. hmmmm