Tampa Bay Fossil Agatized Coral & Shells

Kelleyack

I finally made it back to one of the most beautiful places to look for one of my favorite fossils - Agatized Coral from the Tampa Bay area. I only had one evening and one morning to search and these are some of the smaller pieces that I have. I brought back about 50 pounds of beautiful corals- most of which I need to cut. Can't wait to see what is inside!

If any of you have suggestions for cutting it properly I would love to hear your methods. We had a hammer with us but it became clear we were just shredding the coral. I am thinking of using a wet saw to get some clean cuts.

If you are not familiar with it, this site does a nice job explaining it. http://raysrocksandgems.com/Withlacoochee_Coral.html

post-10773-0-71192300-1365384388_thumb.jpg

post-10773-0-61273800-1365384401_thumb.jpg

post-10773-0-13806400-1365384423_thumb.jpg

post-10773-0-40980000-1365384489_thumb.jpg

post-10773-0-94042500-1365384583_thumb.jpg

post-10773-0-34382100-1365384707_thumb.jpg

If any of you have suggestions for cutting it properly I would love to hear your methods. We had a hammer with us but it became clear we were just shredding the coral. I am thinking of using a wet saw to get some clean cuts.

We use a tile saw to cut rocks, but unless you already have one of those it would be kind of silly to buy one only for that purpose.

Stephen

We use a tile saw to cut rocks, but unless you already have one of those it would be kind of silly to buy one only for that purpose.

Thanks! I borrowed one today - slowly working through it all! Beautiful Io moth picture. I am raising Luna Moths now for a class I teach.

• 3 weeks later...

Nice specimens. That location is one of my favorite places in Florida. I get out there several times a week. I have brought so much material home, my wife now insists I bring no more additiona stuff back home. What I do is cull through what I have and bring it back before I add to the collection. I am headed there tomorrow morning and will post some of my finds.

I am curious about how the tiles saw is working for you. I think they can be rented from Home Depot or purchased for not too much money.

Nice specimens. That location is one of my favorite places in Florida. I get out there several times a week. I have brought so much material home, my wife now insists I bring no more additiona stuff back home. What I do is cull through what I have and bring it back before I add to the collection. I am headed there tomorrow morning and will post some of my finds.

I am curious about how the tiles saw is working for you. I think they can be rented from Home Depot or purchased for not too much money.

I would love to get back there more regularly! You are lucky to live so close. Yes, I joke that we will need to build an addition onto our house to keep all of the things I bring home.

Would love to see some of what you find today and what you have found in the past. I am away right now at a training so am not on the computer as much but if you post a note here that you've uploaded pictures I will go and take a look.

We borrowed a tile saw and it worked pretty well although my husband didn't think that the cuts were perfectly smooth - probably because it was a pretty inexpensive saw. I did learn what to look for in the pieces of coral I would bring home next time...Some of them were straight agate on the inside which is pretty but I really love the ones with crystals.

I am curious, do you ever find large pieces with the crystalized shells and coral pieces stuck within it (like the last two pictures I am holding in the first set). I have some big chunks like that and I would love to dissolve the matrix around it, just not sure what to use!

Kelley

• 9 years later...
9 minutes ago, dropski87 said:

Is this a place near tampa? Looking for a good place to hunt. This beachy area looks perfect 

The OP has not been on the Forum in 10 years.  :unsure:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 3 weeks later...

I too was wondering where exactly they were. Looks to beachy to be on the river itself . Assuming it’s where Withlacoochee meets the gulf? Maybe Bird Creek Beach. 

I did a hunt in honeymoon island a few weeks ago found some nice rocks but now I’m ready to hunt again. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by fossilbeagle