Goodies From The Maps Fossil Show

Caleb

The MAPS fossil show was this past weekend, April 5-7, and as usual we were there. The show itself is a lot of fun, and if you haven't made it you should! It's always the first weekend in April, so next year it will be April 4-6th. The turnout seemed to be pretty decent for being at a new location. In the past it has been held in Macomb, IL and this year it was in Iowa City, IA. We didn't make a whole lot of money selling at the show, but we didn't do too bad. We don't do the show to make a lot of money(but that's always nice) and aren't commercial dealers, so everything we make goes back into our hobby. Tools, gas, and prep costs add up over the collecting season.

Along with having a table at MAPS, we also get some goodies. Every year at MAPS we give a box of fossils to be prepped and then get them back the following year. Here are some of the goodies we got prepped this year. I haven't gotten photographs of everything yet, so I'll start with the echinoderms. All of these Echinoderms were prepared by Scott Vergiels.

First we'll start with the fossil I was most excited to get back... an Oklahomacystis. While fairly common in the Ordovician aged Bromide formation of Oklahoma, this specimen was collected in the Platteville formation of Southwest Wisconsin.

Oklahomacystis sp.

Platteville Fm., Grand Detour mbr.

Middle Ordovician

Southwest Wisconsin

post-0-0-72694700-1365430687_thumb.jpg

Next up is an unusual crinoid:

Carabocrinus radiatus

Galena Fm., Prosser mbr.

Ordovician aged (Shermanian)

Southeast Minnesota

post-0-0-36163500-1365431073_thumb.jpg

More in next post...

And here are some more Echinoderms:

Up first is an odd Cystoid that I'm not positive on the ID:

Glyptocystites?

Galena Fm., Prosser mbr,

Ordovician age (Shermanian)

Southeast Minnesota

post-3840-0-23669200-1365431632_thumb.jpg

Cotylacrinna sandra

Galena Fm., Prosser mbr,

Ordovician age (Shermanian)

Southeast Minnesota

post-3840-0-94950900-1365431646_thumb.jpg

Pycnocrinus dyeri

Arnheim Formation

Upper Ordovician

Southern Ohio

post-3840-0-63516300-1365431855_thumb.jpg

So ends the echinoderms... trilobites will come later.

Nice Caleb! I saw dad, but I did not see you? You must be good at hiding ha ha :P . The show seemed to be relatively good turn out for the new location. It was freezing in there though. I was on the other side of tables and the doors kept opening. I about froze my tucass off. All and all it was fun, although the quarry every one said was so great was disappointing ha ha. I also found out the Id's on two of my crinoids where wrong( but better than I thought). :D That makes it worth the trip right there!

pycnocrinus-perhaps fairview fm?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Nice Caleb! I saw dad, but I did not see you? You must be good at hiding ha ha :P . The show seemed to be relatively good turn out for the new location. It was freezing in there though. I was on the other side of tables and the doors kept opening. I about froze my tucass off. All and all it was fun, although the quarry every one said was so great was disappointing ha ha. I also found out the Id's on two of my crinoids where wrong( but better than I thought). :D That makes it worth the trip right there!

Thanks! I was set up in the main room and spent almost the whole show behind the booth. I did spot you when we were getting our goodies back, but got called to the booth to make a deal and never made it back to that side again. It was a bit chilly the first day, I don't think I took my coat off at all. Saturday was better, but still could have been warmer. Glad you got a couple of your crinoids properly ID'd, I got corrected on a few of my cephalopods. The wealth of knowledge at the show is amazing.

pycnocrinus-perhaps fairview fm?

Perhaps... the site information where it was collected is logged somewhere, just need to locate it and then write it on the back of the specimen. I'll post an update when it's found.

I found the notes that listed the formation the Pycnocrinus was collected in and edited my original post.

I wasn't able to attend this year.
Did you (or anyone else) take any pictures of the show floor
to give a sense of place thing??

Unfortunately we didn't get much time for photos, but here is one showing a small part of the show. There were two large buildings that were connected and booths were set up in both.

post-3840-0-95511500-1365468361_thumb.jpg

And this was our booth:

post-3840-0-92675100-1365468533_thumb.jpg post-3840-0-54812400-1365468538_thumb.jpg

If anyone has more photos of the show, please feel free to post them!

Unfortunately we didn't get much time for photos, but here is one showing a small part of the show. There were two large buildings that were connected and booths were set up in both.

If anyone has more photos of the show, please feel free to post them!

Thanks for the showroom floor pics !!

:)

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

More pics of MAPS

post-9628-0-94919000-1365471593_thumb.jpg post-9628-0-97907900-1365471625_thumb.jpg

Entry into MAPS, pretty awesome!

post-9628-0-83414800-1365471696_thumb.jpg

Lots of kids and families!

post-9628-0-75599600-1365471749_thumb.jpg

The lecture area.

post-9628-0-49596300-1365471795_thumb.jpg

Dino teeth?

Hope this helps fill out the expo a bit.

Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

A few more views of show. Similar experience, lots of folks on Friday and Saturday much better than at Macomb, closeness to I-80 and more large cities helped I am sure. Sunday was bad as they closed earlier and missed the after church or post lunch crowd. They may do 2-3 PM next year so that the half who stay to end might get a bit more business. Hotel for Rock part of show which frankly is our bread and butter so we can keep our fossil hobby going is much better hotel.

Some specimens I obtained at show:

Cyphaspides sp
Order Proetida, Family Aulocopleuridae
Middle Devonian
Jorf, Morocco

It has diagenetic breaks, little microfaults as they were which offset all the left pleural spines and the genal, several others in the hard croncretion it was found in.

Akantharges mbareki
Order Lichida, Family Lichidae, Subfamily Trochinurinae
Middle Devonian
Tinejdad, Morocco

Is that part of an orthocone or utility pole? :)

That is indeed a very large specimen of Endoceras sp. It measured about 4ft in length and weighed more than I wanted to carry... We were a bit worried it would be too heavy for one table, so we split the weight between two.

Amazing specimens Caleb! They were even more spectacular in person. The prep was world class.

Thanks for the help identifying the trilobits on my nautiloid!

Hi Russ ... Thanks for the pictures

TFF_16_zps85b83a9d.jpg

I've known Rich H. for many years.

I think he found the Fountain of Youth

during one of his trips to Florida.

He doesn't age !!

:P

No he doesn't! He doesn't mature either! :-)

Great guy. Wish I could have made it this year.

Ok, I got the Trilobite photos. All of these specimens were prepared by Gerry Kloc and photographed by Tom Whiteley. Scale is 2cm.

First up is a trilobite I thought was going to be prone, but ended up partially rolled. Still it's my best of this type to date.

Eomonorachas intermedius

Decorah Formation

Ordovician

Southwest Wisconsin

post-3840-0-69044000-1365541918_thumb.jpg post-3840-0-71744900-1365541922_thumb.jpg

Next is an interesting Cheirurid. This trilobite is not listed as being from the Galena Fm, but a very similar one is described in the similarily aged Kimswick Fm of Missouri.

Ceraurinella cf. tenuisculptus

Galena Formation, Prosser mbr.

Ordovician

Southeast Minnesota

post-3840-0-59666900-1365541928_thumb.jpg

hypostome:

post-3840-0-54424300-1365541934_thumb.jpg

And the last two.

Gabriceraurus mifflinensis

Platteville Formation, Mifflin mbr

Middle Ordovician

Southwest Wisconsin

post-3840-0-29978400-1365542244_thumb.jpg

Gabriceraurus sp.

Platteville Formation, Mifflin mbr

Middle Ordovician

Southwest Wisconsin

post-3840-0-05086500-1365542248_thumb.jpg

If this is inappropriate, just say so!

So, in my humble opinion, wouldn't it be wonderful if we could actually meet one another, as in recognize one another, at MAPS?

I have so much respect and admiration for all of you! This is the only fossil, uh, site??? I go to. In a way, for me, it feels like (better than) family! You are all so wonderfully supportive of such an esoteric hobby/interest (I am considered "weird" for my interest) in fossils.

At MAPS I know that Caleb would have a table because he said so. And I have seen his picture on here so I knew he was a young man. I wore a maclurite necklace (my avatar on this site) to the show. Caleb said he figured it was me because of the necklace when I introduced myself. And then, later, introduced myself to his Dad.

Vendors tend to know one another (having been a vendor in other venues). But what about others?

I think it would be wonderful to meet some of you! Some of you were at MAPS and we may have even met, but didn't know it!

If interested, is there some way to identify members of thefossilforum at shows?

Respectfully,

Bev :)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Archived