Capybara Molar, But...

Shellseeker

Hunting fossils is often humbling. You think you know something , but you only find small shark teeth. That happened twice this last week --

and then today, I find one of my favorites and something unique (for me). My favorite fossil is Sloth, and this little tooth is as good as it gets.

The unique fossil is Capybara -- usually I find pieces, my largest was 6 "plates". This is almost a complete tooth.

But when I search "Fossil Capybara Molar" on the net, I find little this looks similar to mine with 14 "plates"..

What am I missing?.. Is this NOT a Capybara Molar?

post-2220-0-22807600-1365727855_thumb.jpgpost-2220-0-40168300-1365727895_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Pictures on the right are Capabara.Picteres on the right.....?

RickW9090 identified the strip of pictures on the right as Neochoerus pinkneyi. The Giant Capybara is one of the largest rodent species ever to have lived! Neochoerus pinckneyi (Pinckney’s New Hog) is an extinct Capybara species from the southern half of North America. It is known from Florida, South Carolina, Texas, Arizona and Central America.

The photo strip on the left is Sloth -- I assume it is Harlan's or M. Leptostomus.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Here are a couple of pretty good upper third molars:

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Shellseeker, I confirmed it as Neochoerus. It doesn't appear to be Neochoerus dichroplax, but the proper name for the Rancholabrean species of Neochoerus is unclear presently. I'd leave it as Neochoerus sp.for now.

Rich

Edited by RichW9090

The plural of "anecdote" is not "evidence".

Wow - two amazing fossils.....you found these in the peace????

I have found parts of capybara teeth - but yours is amazing. I have also found parts of a sloth tooth.....

You should buy a lottery ticket......Thanks for posting these.

Really nice finds SS. You continue to amaze me.

*NOT an expert.
I haven't a clue what I'm doing.
But I'm loving every minute of it.

Dude!

:fistbump:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Beautiful SS! I've said it before, but I love the preservation of the Peace. I've got to come hang out!!

outstanding finds. Finds like yours are the reason I contiinue to hunt the Peace whenever possible.

Thanks for all the kind responses. I truly am blessed to live close enough to the Peace River to meet friends and explore nature and fossils. It is addictive , I find myself resisting the urge to go every day. Plus, my back would rebel!

As others have noted, this Capybara molar is relatively fragile and easily breaks up in the rocky river bed. I was digging with a friend and finding small shark teeth. The friend offered to let me dig in his trench. On the 3rd shovelful into the 2nd sieve, this fossil came up half sticking out of the 1/3 sand, 1/3 mud/clay, 1/3 gravel mixture. It is that mixture, protected from rocks, that enables finding fossils in such fantastic condition.

Nice Photos, Rich -- Those examples must have been uniquely protected also. SS