Updated Fossil Collection April 2013- Mainly Megalodons & Shark Teeth

big2th

As the years go by, I find that my passion for collecting fossils never wanes. With that in mind, the joy of getting out in nature and hunting for the beautiful treasues of bygone eras also means that anyone's collection is always in a state of flux. It seemed like I blinked and it's been years since I had last taken photos of my own collection, although I had found quite a few things and acquired several since. As before, about 95% of my collection was found by me personally with LOTS of humble gratitude to God for giving me the health and time to do so. I'm not a very good photographer, however this is the latest version of how most of my finds are currently displayed. I always enjoy seeing others' collections, hence I share my own here. Best wishes to everyone for a healthy and propserous year of fossil collecting and study!

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1641-most-of-my-fossil-collection-as-of-april-2013/

Edited by big2th

Well Said!!

you have quite a great collection! I hope I can find even a third of what you have there!! I love Nature and being out in the woods when nature wakes up. Kind of a changing of the guard... Very nice!!!

Well Said!!

you have quite a great collection! I hope I can find even a third of what you have there!! I love Nature and being out in the woods when nature wakes up. Kind of a changing of the guard... Very nice!!!

When I first started in 1975, it was more of a competitive nature until maturity took over and the pure gift of health to be able to get out and enjoy nature as you stated truly is the best part. Finding fossis are like iciing on the cake. Lately, it seems like I have been losing friends to health challenges and the family members that they leave behind rarely have any idea of the value of the fossils or what to do with them. Chronicles such as pictures and logs are vital components of every collection- almost as much as the specimens themselves. Best wishes to you and thank you for your kind words!

Insane collection! Just amazing...

Thank you kindly, Coming from YOU, that means a great deal indeed!

that's insane :drool: i don't think i've even SEEN that many shark teeth in my whole life lol

It's a combination of living in the right part of the world, having good health, going out on MANY trips, and just plain being old!

Awsome....I remember carefully looking through the photos of each shelf last time with some stunning specimens jumping out at me.... You get the right shape, the colour and the quality all coming together with the megs and you got a show stopper... You have quite a few of those....

95% self found !!!!... theres not many collectors at your level can say that I bet...

What new additions have you added to the collection?....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Awsome....I remember carefully looking through the photos of each shelf last time with some stunning specimens jumping out at me.... You get the right shape, the colour and the quality all coming together with the megs and you got a show stopper... You have quite a few of those....

95% self found !!!!... theres not many collectors at your level can say that I bet...

What new additions have you added to the collection?....

There are quite a few new Virginia and Maryland specimens since I last photographed the display along with two new Cuban megalodons. I wish that I could say that there are some new Aurora finds, however the mine is still closed :(

Having collected in Aurora well over 300 times, I yearn to get back in there again. My last trip was in 2009. As you might note from my collection, it is among my favorite sites.

There are quite a few new Virginia and Maryland specimens since I last photographed the display along with two new Cuban megalodons. I wish that I could say that there are some new Aurora finds, however the mine is still closed :(

Having collected in Aurora well over 300 times, I yearn to get back in there again. My last trip was in 2009. As you might note from my collection, it is among my favorite sites.

I can see why you like Aurora... There is something really special about the colour of the teeth...I purchased a 4 incher a coupler years ago....Lets hope you get chance to collect there again one day...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

I can see why you like Aurora... There is something really special about the colour of the teeth...I purchased a 4 incher a coupler years ago....Lets hope you get chance to collect there again one day...

I hope EVERYONE who wishes to do so has the opportunity to collect there again. Unfortunately, so many quarries and mines have closed to collectors. It is truly sad as it appears that litigation and risk has taken precedence over the opportunity for learning and study.

STUNNING! What a beautiful collection!

Thank you very much. You reside in an area rich with great collecting sites. May you enjoy and prosper from them!

Thank you very much. You reside in an area rich with great collecting sites. May you enjoy and prosper from them!

We are, we take the boat out as often as possible! I need to get re-certified in diving so I can try that method. Your collection is truly incredible.

Oh snap.

Wanna trade collections? :D

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Oh snap.

Wanna trade collections? :D

I actually do make a trade every now and then. It's usually for specimens from a locale of which I am unlikely to enjoy the opportunity to collect personally. Let me know if you are interested in specimens (not collections :) )