Help Identifying "finds" In Riley County Ks

dar1125

I found these two solid tube like formations by the Kansas River near Manhattan KS. From what I can tell, Riley county is Permian. They are not hollow inside but definitely have openings at each end. I also found a tiny rock that resembles a chewed piece of gum with an obvious pattern on it ( from the same area ) I'll post some photos. It will be awesome if anyone knows what these are !

Darla

post-11630-0-03210200-1365972181_thumb.jpg

post-11630-0-42458400-1365972182_thumb.jpg

post-11630-0-65181400-1365972183_thumb.jpg

Edited by dar1125

Can you post them as jpeg images? It makes it much easier for folks to view and reply. :)

I converted the first one:

post-423-0-10462000-1365971530_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

A reply with new images will do the trick.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The two on the right might be sponges... Eastern Kansas fossils are not my area of expertise :)

The "chewed gum" appears to be a part of a bivalve. Probably a cretaceous rock that was washed down stream from further west. The other two I don't know. Possibly some sort of burrow.

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

If they were found in the Kaw River, they could be Permian, Cretaceous or even Pleistocene or recent.

The tubes could also be where minerals formed around roots in the soil. The first one doesn't ring a bell.

Context is critical.

Thanks guys, for the ideas of what they could be. I'm going to do an image search of all these and see what mine look the most like. And to "KansasFossilHunter" thanks for the link. I've found a lot of bryzoans around here and if that's what these are, they are so different looking from the rest I have, being rounder and a brown rusty color.