Are The Teeth? N Sulphur River Curious Finds...thanks.

MFowler

I posted these in the 'gallery' area, but haven't got many views so I thought I'd try them in here. I don't know if pics tell the full story, but I'm hoping maybe someone has found them before and knows what they are. To my 'rookie' eye, they appear to be teeth because of the unique striations. I thought they may be petrified wood at first, but I've found a lot of that now and no longer think it is so I'm now leaning towards teeth.

I'm sorry, I haven't figured out yet how to post the pics in here since I posted the gallery from a different computer. Please check out the album through this link; http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/gallery/album/1644-n-sulphur-river-trip-3-4-teeth/

All input is greatly appreciated,

-Mark

You have Scapanarhynchus texanus, Cretolamna appendiculata, Squalicorax falcatus, and Sqaulicorax kaupi teeth there.

If you google these names, you will know which of the teeth are which.

You also have a lot of bone fragments. You will find it difficult to pin those down to a genus.

• I found this Informative 1

You have Scapanarhynchus texanus, Cretolamna appendiculata, Squalicorax falcatus, and Sqaulicorax kaupi teeth there.

If you google these names, you will know which of the teeth are which.

You also have a lot of bone fragments. You will find it difficult to pin those down to a genus.

Wow! You're good! Are those the shark teeth you're talking about or the other one's? I thought I posted a link to the entire album, but I may have messed up. There are some pics in that album that I have no idea what they are...but 'think' they're teeth.

Thanks for the help Boneman!

Those are bone pieces. You won't be able to ID those to genus. They are mosasaur and fish bones.

snarge...I was really hoping they were broken Mosasaur teeth. Oh well, thanks for the help. I just got my NSR Guidebook in the mail today so hopefully I can start to identify some of this stuff with that. I have about 100 things I can't identify but appear to be "something" but I am only posting pics of the things I think may be something special. I'm hoping between the book(s), galleries on here, and just experience help me identify most of it.

Thanks again

I strongly suspect that all of those bone pieces are Enchodus palatines.

Thanks Carl, that wouldn't be a surprise because I've found a couple dozen Enchodus teeth in the same area. I'm new at this, but it seems strange that they all seem to have the same shape and markings. I was looking at them last night and stated to convince myself they were possibly sections of jaw or some kind of joint because of the curved 'L' shape. I recently joined the Dallas Paleo Society and I think what I'm going to do is go to the next meeting and bring these and about 100 other finds I've gathered here in my first 4 fossil hunting trips that I can't ID from books or the gallery on here and coax some poor soul to sit down and explain what I do & don't have :-) Plus, I'll probably have about 1,000 questions for them so I figure the least I can do is buy them lunch or dinner :-) Actually, I've chatted with a few members on here quite a bit and they're all EXTREMELY helpful and nice. I know they would be happy to help me out...great people on this forum!

Thanks again,

-Mark

I strongly suspect that all of those bone pieces are Enchodus palatines.

I have found my weight in Enchodus palatines, and I dont see one there. I would say that I THINK there's a protosphyraena (swordfish) fin section there, but I'd have to have the piece in my hand to be sure.

I have found my weight in Enchodus palatines, and I dont see one there. I would say that I THINK there's a protosphyraena (swordfish) fin section there, but I'd have to have the piece in my hand to be sure.

I can make that happen :-) I thought these would be samples someone would need to see in person to properly ID because pictures can only show so much. Maybe I'll catch ya at a DPS meeting...of course, my lunch offer still stands :-)