My First Enrolled Trilobite - Awesome Day At Hungry Hollow April 16, 2013

lmacfadden

I was headed out to visit my sister, which would have been a right turn at the stop sign. Instead, Hungry Hollow was calling out to me and I headed out there (left turn) instead!

To my delight, I found a number of small fossils that I LOVE and my first enrolled trilobite! At first I thought I had found a trilobite head and was pretty pleased with that, knowing that you don't often find complete ones. When I got it home I took a photo of it... and it looked like the tail of the trilobite. So thinking I was mistaken the first time, I turned it over and took another picture and lo and behold, I had both ends and the middle! That's when I realized I actually had the complete bug, just enrolled! I am excited beyond belief!! I am in LOVE with this little guy.

So here is the rest of my find for today... I had a blast. Conditions there are pretty good, a little slippery but doable. I will go back later today or maybe tomorrow. Hope you enjoy these too!

post-11011-0-52498500-1366143068_thumb.jpg

post-11011-0-27953600-1366143087_thumb.jpg

post-11011-0-74843600-1366143099_thumb.jpg

Edited by lmacfadden

~Lise MacFadden - Arkona, Ontario, Canada

Nice one Lise. Congrats, and welcome to the trilo club

• I found this Informative 1

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Nice one Lise. Congrats, and welcome to the trilo club

Ah shucks, thanks Kevin... thanks to you for showing me where to look and what to look for!

Congratulations!

I clearly remember my first whole 'bug', from a Devonian exposure in Virginia (about 45 years ago...).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Congratulations, Lise! :)

Well spotted - it looks tiny.

And, I agree with Cretaceous1 - nice photos.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very nice.

I like how the bug blends in with all the other fossils in the first pic. It reminds me of the closet scene in 'E.T.' :) :

post-6808-0-41922200-1366147626_thumb.jpg

Context is critical.

Congratulations, Lise! :)

Well spotted - it looks tiny.

And, I agree with Cretaceous1 - nice photos.

Regards,

Thanks Tim. Yes, it's tiny but to me it's HUGE! .9cm wide x .9cm long (it would be about 2cm long if not rolled up). Can't wait to find my next one!

Very nice.

I like how the bug blends in with all the other fossils in the first pic. It reminds me of the closet scene in 'E.T.' :) :

attachicon.gifet-hides-closet-universals-et-extra-terrestrial-242490.jpg

Ha ha... I was actually thinking "Where's Waldo" when I took that photo, but I like the reference to E.T. in the closet!

congratulations Lise! :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

congratulations! :fistbump: still have yet to find an enrolled (or even complete) trilobite there; whereabouts at HH did you find this?

congratulations! :fistbump: still have yet to find an enrolled (or even complete) trilobite there; whereabouts at HH did you find this?

In the South Pit and that's all I can tell you... :muahaha: it was actually in a high spot that I thought no one would think to check over. I have to go and check that location again before I give away my top secret information! No, seriously, if I met you there I would show you exactly where... :P

In the South Pit and that's all I can tell you... :muahaha: it was actually in a high spot that I thought no one would think to check over. I have to go and check that location again before I give away my top secret information! No, seriously, if I met you there I would show you exactly where... :P

Haha good stuff; that might happen, I'm planning on going there sometime this month. I actually found a partial prone trilobite (missing the cephalon and most of the pygidium) in about the same location.

Lise,

I hope your sister wasn't expecting you to show up. It sounds like you never made it to her house.

You continue to tease me with your finds. I'm going to definitely get up to see my in-laws as soon as I can. I'll just have to come up with an excuse to get away for a day or two to check the area out. One of my brother-in-laws lives in Sarnia and has told me he's been there before and will be glad to take me.

Beautiful finds. I've found one enrolled trilo, but not as nice as yours.

Thanks for continuing to show us your finds. It just keeps giving me more motivation to visit my in-laws.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Sweet! Trilobites are addicting, just beware :).

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Lise,

I hope your sister wasn't expecting you to show up. It sounds like you never made it to her house.

You continue to tease me with your finds. I'm going to definitely get up to see my in-laws as soon as I can. I'll just have to come up with an excuse to get away for a day or two to check the area out. One of my brother-in-laws lives in Sarnia and has told me he's been there before and will be glad to take me.

Beautiful finds. I've found one enrolled trilo, but not as nice as yours.

Thanks for continuing to show us your finds. It just keeps giving me more motivation to visit my in-laws.

Oh yes, I made it there as she lives right in town - I went straight over there after my dig. She was eager to see all my little treasures. It's amazing that with all the hundreds or maybe thousands of people that have come to Hungry Holow over the years that there's still something good to be found there. You just have to put your head down and start scanning and "expect" to find something spectacular!

Sweet! Trilobites are addicting, just beware :).

I hear you on that one... it's all I've been thinking about since. I'm heading out there again today!

congrats! I still havnt found a complete one (but I will someday.)

oh..and I like the button coral too.

Edited by JimB88

congrats! I still havnt found a complete one (but I will someday.)

oh..and I like the button coral too.

Thanks Jim - those were my first button corals too! I do have another one in my possesion but I wasn't the one who found it. I found 3 of them yesterday. As I was scanning the ground, a raindrop fell right on one and that's how I spotted it!

Congrats that is exciting, thanks for sharing it. That first trilobite is always a blast!

May you find many more!

russ