Show Us Your Shark Vertebrae

Ramo

I found this in Fort Worth, Tx! It's about 4in wide and i was curious if i was told right on what species it is. I was told its a Otonus vertebrae dated around 50 million years old. Any information would be great!

Sorry. I do not see a picture.

• 1 month later...

Yes, we need a photo but Fort Worth is probably too far north to be a 50-million year old Otodus vertebra. I don't think the Gulf came in that far north during the Eocene. If it is a shark vertebra, it's more likely to have belonged to an Early Cretaceous form like Leptostyrax. Fort Worth was underwater during that time.

I found this in Fort Worth, Tx! It's about 4in wide and i was curious if i was told right on what species it is. I was told its a Otonus vertebrae dated around 50 million years old. Any information would be great!

4" that's big! i would suggest Meg vert. if i remember correctly "vertman" had found 4"+ shark verts in TX.

here's my Otodus vert (3 3/8"). you can also see a large shark coprolite and a 5 1/8" meg tooth.

post-14584-0-74065100-1467079183_thumb.jpg

see more about Vertman's amazing set of huge verts: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/46236-will-buy-lower-cretaceous-aged-giant-shark-vertebra-from-north-texas/?hl=%2Bshark+%2Bvertebrae

Edited by fossilized6s

~Charlie~

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why.....i dream of things that never were, and ask why not?" ~RFK
->Get your Mosasaur print
->How to spot a fake Trilobite
->How to identify a CONCRETION from a DINOSAUR EGG

There are no Miocene marine rocks that far north in Texas (not sure any exist anywhere in Texas) so you can't find a meg tooth or vert around Fort Worth. As I indicated in an earlier post, I don't think there are any Early Eocene marine rocks that far north in Texas either and that would have been the time of greatest northern extent of the Gulf of Mexico during the Cenozoic Era.

4" that's big! i would suggest Meg vert. if i remember correctly "vertman" had found 4"+ shark verts in TX.

here's my Otodus vert (3 3/8"). you can also see a large shark coprolite and a 5 1/8" meg tooth.

attachicon.gif20160627_204746.jpg

see more about Vertman's amazing set of huge verts: http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/46236-will-buy-lower-cretaceous-aged-giant-shark-vertebra-from-north-texas/?hl=%2Bshark+%2Bvertebrae