Ammonite Design.

Kolektor

Hi all,

A lot of detail not seen with the naked eye comes out in these Ammonite photos.

Looks like flames(racing flames?) running all the way down his flank in the face-on shot whilst

in the stranded shot you can make out the 3 dimensional structure of the pattern.

This Ammonite is missing nearly 1 complete spiral? which i would suspect protected

the membrane? from damage during fossilisation. Is it membrane? on top?

Can't wait to get a DSLR.

Face-on

post-1001-1226620181_thumb.jpg

Stranded

post-1001-1226620308_thumb.jpg

Snapped

post-1001-1226620329_thumb.jpg

Rollin

post-1001-1226620348_thumb.jpg

I hope I'm not asking basic 'should really know that' kind of questions.

Am i excited over nothing? Cos if i am, I'm still excited.

I' heading out now to get some natural light shots.

Cheers.

Hi mommabetts, na, i didn't do the prep work, i wouldn't have the 1st clue how to.

I bought it online.

Gorgeous is one of the first words i thought of too when i saw this.

not sure what you mean by "membrane". looks like the thing was in a nodule and one side was prepped out. cool ammonite, though. showy fossils like that are very eye catching in a collection...

Thanks Nich.

tracer, by membrane i mean it looks as though when the outer coil was removed,

however it was done, it ripped off some skin & left the imprints of where it had been

nestled together. Or was it fins (or equivalent) on the underside of the shell which made

the imprint when the creature coiled up?

it was all aragonite shell coil, with a squiddy critter sticking out of the end opening. any missing portion of the "coil" had the same type of "ridges" on the shell and left impressions in the matrix. but it wasn't a membranousity, i don't think. but then again, i wasn't there, so who knows? (ammonite experts, here's where ya'll step in while i lurk a bit...)

Great fossil!

So I'm guessing from your purchase that you can ship fossil to Australia. You can't ship Australian fossils out of the country though? Is that my understanding. Does anyone know what other countries besides China you can't ship fossils from?

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Crikey! She's a beauty...

The "racing flames" are called suture lines, and they show where the "septum" (convoluted internal walls) divided the coiled shell into chambers. The animal lived in the last (largest) chamber until it outgrew it and built a bigger one to move into.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Crikey! She's a beauty...

The "racing flames" are called suture lines, and they show where the "septum" (convoluted internal walls) divided the coiled shell into chambers. The animal lived in the last (largest) chamber until it outgrew it and built a bigger one to move into.

I'm confused, maybe just the way I'm reading this. Wouldn't be more of a continuous growing process?

I'm confused, maybe just the way I'm reading this. Wouldn't be more of a continuous growing process?

That is true of gastropods (snails). The shelled cephalapods (ammonites, nautiluses, baculites...) have a "living chamber" that is walled off. The older chambers behind become ballast compartments, connected by a tube to the animal so it can adjust the buoyancy.

Here's a cut-away:

post-423-1226689338_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Great fossil!

So I'm guessing from your purchase that you can ship fossil to Australia. You can't ship Australian fossils out of the country though? Is that my understanding. Does anyone know what other countries besides China you can't ship fossils from?

No one knows?

tracer,i understand what a nodule is now so i get what you were saying, i didn't before.

Phoenixflood,although i wasn't aware that i couldn't ship fossils off this island, it does appear to be the case. so, if i understand you correctly,

you implied you can't import fossils from China.From what end is that decision made cos we can import Chinese fossils to here.

Auspex,thanks for the info,i did a bit more reading which raised my curiosity even more.

What amazes me is the apparent keratin appearance & feel, it's like when you bite or tear a nail & a few layers peel off,it almost seems as if i could

peel one off.

I'm flaberghasted at the minute detail.

tracer,i understand what a nodule is now so i get what you were saying, i didn't before.

Phoenixflood,although i wasn't aware that i couldn't ship fossils off this island, it does appear to be the case. so, if i understand you correctly,

you implied you can't import fossils from China.From what end is that decision made cos we can import Chinese fossils to here.

Auspex,thanks for the info,i did a bit more reading which raised my curiosity even more.

What amazes me is the apparent keratin appearance & feel, it's like when you bite or tear a nail & a few layers peel off,it almost seems as if i could

peel one off.

Well, you can illegally :P but wouldn't recomend it :D I think you can ship them if you have the right paperwork. It seems like a lot of hoops to jump through though. I don't think they are allowed to ship fossil out of China, but some people do anyway.

...What amazes me is the apparent keratin appearance & feel, it's like when you bite or tear a nail & a few layers peel off,it almost seems as if i could

peel one off.

<Oh, he is so hooked now...Stand back, everyone! We got us a freshly obsessed fossil collector!>

Welcome to the tribe, mate! May your sense of wonder shine ever undiminished! :D

ok, first of all, please don't peel or bite your nails in the forum. remember, Anson doesn't have a cleaning person on contract here, so pick up after yourselves, and only gross each other out in seemingly endless what's-the-worst-thing-you've-ever-eaten threads...

ok, secondly, rumor has it that approximately ALL of the "fossils" from some places are, how shall i say this, hmm - FAKE. so in that instance, fossil exportation laws wouldn'ltl apply since there are no freakin' fossils involved. of course you'll usually pay extra over the cost of real fossils for all the gee whiz crimin... i mean, craftsmanship, but still.

now, back to the ammonite skin issue. i relooked at the photos and understand what was meant regarding what remained after the broadest part of the coil broke off. my not-so-educated guess is that there's absolutely no doubt that the remaining material is some polymorph of CACO3 (subscript), aragonite, calcite, or some other material. (see how i did that? you can always be exactly correct if you make judicious use of qualifiers and generalizations. my favorite one is when you see somebody on the street and go, "man, every time i see you you're somewhere!")

i just threw in "polymorph" in an effort to be confusing.

ok, sweeping, arrogant fact statement number two - there's no way in heck fire that there's any keratin involved, assuming the fossil wasn't exported from somewhere where people make fossils out of old fingernails, which wouldn't surprise me. why do i say what i say? well, there's much debate on the forum regarding that, but in this instance - keratin is a fibrous protein, according to my secret sources ("secret sources" is a euphemism for wikipedia, which i intentionally overuse as a rebellious slap in the face to vetted, truly scientific information sources. i'm a character, i think.) so anyway, non-parenthetically speaking, proteins pretty much shouldn't still be hanging around in big visible quantities on your average bazillion-year-old nautiloid exterior. proteins are sissies, and tend to break down under pressure, so never commit any criminal acts with a gang of proteins, because they'll spill their proteinaceous guts the second the hot lights hit them and the questions begin.

best saturday morning regards,

tracer

ok, first of all, please don't peel or bite your nails in the forum. remember, Anson doesn't have a cleaning person on contract here, so pick up after yourselves, and only gross each other out in seemingly endless what's-the-worst-thing-you've-ever-eaten threads...

ok, secondly, rumor has it that approximately ALL of the "fossils" from some places are, how shall i say this, hmm - FAKE. so in that instance, fossil exportation laws wouldn'ltl apply since there are no freakin' fossils involved. of course you'll usually pay extra over the cost of real fossils for all the gee whiz crimin... i mean, craftsmanship, but still.

now, back to the ammonite skin issue. i relooked at the photos and understand what was meant regarding what remained after the broadest part of the coil broke off. my not-so-educated guess is that there's absolutely no doubt that the remaining material is some polymorph of CACO3 (subscript), aragonite, calcite, or some other material. (see how i did that? you can always be exactly correct if you make judicious use of qualifiers and generalizations. my favorite one is when you see somebody on the street and go, "man, every time i see you you're somewhere!")

i just threw in "polymorph" in an effort to be confusing.

ok, sweeping, arrogant fact statement number two - there's no way in heck fire that there's any keratin involved, assuming the fossil wasn't exported from somewhere where people make fossils out of old fingernails, which wouldn't surprise me. why do i say what i say? well, there's much debate on the forum regarding that, but in this instance - keratin is a fibrous protein, according to my secret sources ("secret sources" is a euphemism for wikipedia, which i intentionally overuse as a rebellious slap in the face to vetted, truly scientific information sources. i'm a character, i think.) so anyway, non-parenthetically speaking, proteins pretty much shouldn't still be hanging around in big visible quantities on your average bazillion-year-old nautiloid exterior. proteins are sissies, and tend to break down under pressure, so never commit any criminal acts with a gang of proteins, because they'll spill their proteinaceous guts the second the hot lights hit them and the questions begin.

best saturday morning regards,

tracer

Right On!!

Cephalopods rule!!

Archived