lissa318

This is Washington, PA dunkard group. I am starting with one and will be adding pics of other plant material to this same post. I have a couple....

#1 (the piece I found is a fairly large size... Let me know if additional pic would help)

post-8801-0-52708200-1366590625_thumb.jpg

Edited by lissa318

#2 (have quite a few pieces with this little leaf pattern on them... Can't get a much better pic this moment.)

post-8801-0-49950800-1366591581_thumb.jpg

Lissa!

Nice annularia!

# 3 looks like calamites to me, but I can't help with #1, Sorry.

Way to go, girl!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Lissa!

Nice annularia!

# 3 looks like calamites to me, but I can't help with #1, Sorry.

Way to go, girl!

Regards,

Thanks Tim!!! :D And there are lots more... Not kidding. I wasn't sure about the last one as the impression off to the right doesn't have the distinct lines? I need to learn more about calamites. Some of the ones I found look much wider too... And some curve? Lots more to learn apparently! Had a blast today... :D
  • I found this Informative 1

#1 - Interesting, but not sure what it could be. Some of the plant experts here may have an idea.

#2 - Nice little Annularia. As these relatively delicate plants are showing up, keep an eye out for ferns.

#3 - Calamites or Cordaites.

#4 - Some type of plant, but not sure which.

#5 - Definitely Calamites. There is a node line running through the middle.

Context is critical.

#1 - Interesting, but not sure what it could be. Some of the plant experts here may have an idea.

#2 - Nice little Annularia. As these relatively delicate plants are showing up, keep an eye out for ferns.

#3 - Calamites or Cordaites.

#4 - Some type of plant, but not sure which.

#5 - Definitely Calamites. There is a node line running through the middle.

Thanks Missourian! :) Pretty excited! Any more input from members will be appreciated. I am really curious about the first one... :)

I'm thinking #1 could be Knorria, a layer between the outer Cortex and the Pith, usually the third layer in. Hard to determine what kind of Lepidodendron sp. it would be. The outermost bark would be able to make a diagnostic candidate.

wow ! very nice Lissa fantastic finds :) I think 4 may be plant roots I find similar here , I agree with others here on other Ids

1 possibly Lepidodendron also I want to see more of your finds great job

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

I'm thinking #1 could be Knorria, a layer between the outer Cortex and the Pith, usually the third layer in. Hard to determine what kind of Lepidodendron sp. it would be. The outermost bark would be able to make a diagnostic candidate.

I was also thinking in the direction of Lepidodendron on that first one...

wow ! very nice Lissa fantastic finds :) I think 4 may be plant roots I find similar here , I agree with others here on other Ids

1 possibly Lepidodendron also I want to see more of your finds great job

Thanks everyone. Lepidodendron it is then... :) Tried looking up a similar pattern but not having luck. Guessing because it is a internal layer? As far as the possible plant root goes, do you think it may be identifiable with better pictures? Appreciate everyone's help! :)