Cephalapod?

hrguy54

I extracted this from a large rock over the weekend. Never found anything like it. The site is Ordivician and has a lot of cephalapods, bryozoans, etc.

Is it a cephalapod? Or the spike from a horse shoe crab?

post-7762-0-52226100-1366739483_thumb.jpg

post-7762-0-91730100-1366739526_thumb.jpg

thinking cast of an orthocone nautiloid

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Interesting specimen. It looks like an orthocone nautiloid, and if it is ordovician, I see no alternative; however, I miss the chambers which I would expect at least at the thin end of the specimen. Can you show us a picture of the other end where it is broken off?

araucaria1959

Evidence of the chambers would be diagnostic for an orthoconic nautiloid, but I don't see them either. Bear in mind that certain Ordovician orthocones had large siphuncles composed of long tapering endocones nested within one another, such as the endocerids.. It is possible that this specimen is a siphuncle. Some genera are known almost entirely from their siphuncles, as the rest of the shell, including the septa and outer shell, were fragile and virtually never preserve.

Don

• I found this Informative 1

...It is possible that this specimen is a siphuncle...

Real good point!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Real good point!

Actually the tapered end came to a fine point but it crumbled off before I could preserve it. :P

I would also suggest it is a cephalopod or at least the siphuncle of one. I have seen a few specimens preserved like yours although there is usually a hint of the original thin outer shell. It also looks like yours has some bryozoans attached. Good find.

further to my original suggestion, could it be a cast of a sediment filled cavity where the original structure has dissolved away, thus explaining lack of normal diagnostic features? just a thought while looking at little pics on my phone...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."