Asian Trilobite Fakery?

Hamyshark

Okay. So today I decided to expand my trilobite collection to all kinds of countries. North America, check. Africa, check. Asia, no. Now, I must find an Asian trilobite! So one of the trilobite species I know about is Ductina vietnamica. eBay seemed like a good place so I search it. I find Ductina vietnamica for only $12! These trilobites are found in China and I have had a bad experience with Chinese fossils (as a kid, I found one of my Chinese fish fossils to be a fake!) Due to my experience, I immediately start doubting if this is real. It's only $12! Here are some pictures of the eBay listings and you can see the prices. Any suggestions on whether it's the real deal?

post-11460-0-33867800-1366858046_thumb.jpg

post-11460-0-54262800-1366858058_thumb.jpg

post-11460-0-73125000-1366858076_thumb.jpg

All of these are absolutely authentic Asian trilobites. The genus is so prolific that nobody bothers to fake them. Pick your favorite and enjoy!

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

China= Fake fossil capital of the world, so good on you for taking the necessary precautions to avoid fake fossils as best as possible.

These appear legit, and for something that only costs 12 dollars it wouldn't be a total disaster if they turned out to be fake anyway. It takes effort to fake fossils as well, which is why usually it's only the expensive and rare stuff that gets faked. It's not worth it for a common, affordable fossil like this.

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

Thank you both for your replies! I am going to pick one out today. It's free shipping from Hong Kong but it will arrive at around May to June. Haha. I guess free shipping internationally means it takes 1-2 months to arrive.

China= Fake fossil capital of the world, so good on you for taking the necessary precautions to avoid fake fossils as best as possible.

These appear legit, and for something that only costs 12 dollars it wouldn't be a total disaster if they turned out to be fake anyway. It takes effort to fake fossils as well, which is why usually it's only the expensive and rare stuff that gets faked. It's not worth it for a common, affordable fossil like this.

Don't forget Morocco, eg. those Diacalymene(?) trilos, which although they are cheap they are often cobbled together from 2 or 3 pieces of separate individuals! Found that out the hard way... Maybe China is the fake vert capital, while Morocco is the fake invert capital - and Madagascar is the unnecessarily-processed fossil capital!

Anyway I do have a couple Ductinas and they seem fine.

I bought a bunch of Redlichia from China and they were great.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Archived