lissa318

So I have found a couple more ostracod pieces. Sadly small pieces and very fragile.... The loupes I ordered came in the mail so tried to snap a couple shots, starting with my original pieces (have positive and negative). This isn't a great pic and hoping to get better ones tomorrow. It is through a 5x loupe. Will add future ostracod pics to this post! :)

post-8801-0-60677700-1366941588_thumb.jpg

Edited by lissa318

Cool, I think I found an ostracod today also. I was looking through some Devonian gravel. How old are these?

Stephen

These are from the dunkard group in Washington, PA which is considered Permian but I hear some areas are mixed with Pennsylvanian also... Look them up online as they are very cool and could even survive being ingested! I am hoping to find another piece like this but more stable from the same site.... Fingers crossed for me? lol ;)

That

So I have found a couple more ostracod pieces. Sadly small pieces and very fragile.... The loupes I ordered came in the mail so tried to snap a couple shots, starting with my original pieces (have positive and negative). This isn't a great pic and hoping to get better ones tomorrow. It is through a 5x loupe. Will add future ostracod pics to this post! :)
attachicon.gifIMG_20130425_210419-1.jpg

That pic is pretty good, especially considering that you had to hold both the loupe and cam steadily above the rock.

Do any of the ostracods show any detail, such as bumps and furrows? I think I can see a furrow in the middle of some of them, but I'm not sure.

Context is critical.

Yes some of them do have some detail to them! And thanks Missourian. I am honestly excited about being able to see them myself!!! lol! :) I understand now what everyone means about the higher loupes.... Got a 10x's but is harder on the eyes. Here is another pic, bad detail? Feel free to save and play with editing wise if want.

post-8801-0-10376300-1366950363_thumb.jpg

Edited by lissa318

Lissa.... very clear images under magnification... well done....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Thanks Terry! I will be working on even better ones soon... Would love to get more detail. I have bad issues with my eyes so these little guys have been paining me tremendously! :) There will be more to come though! Thanks again. :)

Since I didn't have a loupe to look for mine, I actually unscrewed the bottom lens on my old microscope. It works pretty well! Those ostracods look great.

Stephen

Some of your ostracods could be Paraparchites:
post-6808-0-41176400-1358764901_thumb.jpg
post-6808-0-54469300-1358764894_thumb.jpg

These have similar markings, and were found in a freshwater deposit as your beds likely are.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Since I didn't have a loupe to look for mine, I actually unscrewed the bottom lens on my old microscope. It works pretty well! Those ostracods look great.

Some of your ostracods could be Paraparchites:

These have similar markings, and were found in a freshwater deposit as your beds likely are.

PA, have you been able to take any pics of yours yet? Would love to see them! And thanks! :)

Missourian, that does look very similar! I haven't been able to post much lately because of my eyes. The muscles in my eyes are weak so focusing on these little guys, even with some magnification hurts. I need to splurge on a microscope but I'm afraid if I don't get a good one, it wont help. I am having fun teaching and looking at things with my daughter for now. Basically been finding the same thing over and over... Have enough calamite impressions to stack and build a small house? lol Been hoping to find some nice 3D's but not yet. Did find what I think are more of these little guys... Hopefully will be in better shape for good pics soon. :) Thanks for the response and pics! Thinking that may be them!!! :)

I'm sorry to hear about your eye muscles, but the good news is that a microscope and (I think) loupe can be adjusted to your eyes' relaxed state, assuming the focusing range is adequate.

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

Thanks Missourian. I need to research more. I have mentioned on here once or twice about my eyes... I have a rare genetic disorder that can cause glaucoma. I have very high eye pressures and put drops in both eyes 5 times a day. Although my vision isn't bad yet, the side effects from the meds cause issues. I would rather spend more money on something I know would be good for me... But without actually trying it out-I'm not sure if it would work or not? My dilemma. lol :/

Nice slab O' 'cods. :D

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 2 weeks later...

I too believe that I have found some ostracods from some bulk sample I brought back from Black Cat Mtn. Here are some pictures from my microscope.

And as long as I fishing for an ID, do any of you have any thoughts on these fossils I found when bulk sampling near Lake Ray Roberts. The 5-sided aspect makes me think they may be a part of an echinoid - and I have found many pieces of echinoid spines around there. Regardless, I think they look pretty cool.

Gary

post-11358-0-40348600-1369275602_thumb.jpg

post-11358-0-85104100-1369275722_thumb.jpg

Wow. Those are cool looking Gary. Hope you get an id. Your new scope makes some great pictures.

And as long as I fishing for an ID, do any of you have any thoughts on these fossils I found when bulk sampling near Lake Ray Roberts. The 5-sided aspect makes me think they may be a part of an echinoid - and I have found many pieces of echinoid spines around there. Regardless, I think they look pretty cool.

Gary

Gary-

These look like crinoid cups, possibly comatulid crinoids. You should post these under fossil ID, I'm sure other Texans have collected these and can give you a positive ID.

Thanks, I'll repost on the ID site.

These fossils came from a Cretaceous area, so I don't think it would be crinoidal. But, correct me if I am wrong. I'm still kind of new.

Also, do you guys agree with my assessment that the other picture contains ostracods?

• 3 weeks later...

The star shaped pieces are nice, I think you are right in the idea they have something to do with echinoids :popcorn: . The others look like 'cods to me

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

You can buy a small digital microscope like the one shown here for $70.post-2520-0-01724100-1370984442_thumb.jpg

It will give you micro and macro pix like the ones below.post-2520-0-15832500-1370984768_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-75042100-1370984542_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-73360900-1370984580_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-53559200-1370984631_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-08511900-1370984669_thumb.jpg