• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Park

Sam Park

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:33 AM

On the way from Tucsyan to the Canyon the roadcuts are Kaibab L.S. and contain a variety of fossils in the cherty L.S. This is Penn/Perm and contains gastropods, brachiopods, echinoids and more. It should be possible to pull out a trilobite. Make sure you are not on Park property when you collect at this location.

The best paleozoic locality in the state is near Payson, a little town is a couple of hours NE of Phoenix. Once there go 10 miles East to where the road makes a fairly sharp bend N. (If you get to Kohl's Ranch Resort, you've gone too far.) Here the roadcuts and one wash where you will undoubtedly see others collecting, are the Naco Gp. (Pennsylvanian) and abundantly fossiliferous. The dominant two fossils are the brachiopods Composita sp. and Productus sp. From this spot eastwards for a few miles all the roadcuts are fossiliferous with the same Gp.
Winkleman, AZ. - Roadcuts near Winkleman, south of Globe, along AZ-77, contain fossils of the Naco Group, marine Penn/Perm in high limestone cliffs interbedded with thin layers of shale. This site is used by the paleo. classes of the U/Az so the best time to go is winter, and just before the fall session starts. It can get pretty hot here so sunscreen & hats are a must. If you walk up the spillway you can find large shale exposures on the old highway (barely recognizable now). The most common fossils are crinoidal, with abundant columnal segments some 1 cm diameter. Some trilobites have been found here and brachiopods. Do not park along the road or you will be ticketed. There are pull-outs on the opposite side.There can be rattlers, desert centipedes (up to 6" length) and scorpions in the warmer weather so gloves are wise.

#2 mommabetts

mommabetts

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 12:59 PM

Thanks for posting.

#3 Tr-J-K

Tr-J-K

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:19 PM

Naco near Strawberry is certainly one of the best invert localities in Az. Great crinoids, sponges, etc.
The Chinle is exposed on both private and public land along the Little Colorado River. BLM allows gathering of inverts and plants...so petrified wood is OK as long as it is on BLM/USFS, not Petrified Forest NP/State Park land.
The Kaibab is actually exposed in Flagstaff and lots of various inverts can be found there as well.

#4 Sundancer73

Sundancer73

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 675 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 01:59 AM

I found a LOT of great invert fossils in the North Kaibab.. go past Navajo Bridge and turn at the buffalo ranch sign. Follow the road south to Saddle Mtn which is right on the edge of the 'Canyon'.. place is loaded.. BTW, things have changed over the years and all the arrowheads you are stepping on must be left there.... lol

~Mike
All your fossils are belong to us

#5 FossilForKids

FossilForKids

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 11:05 AM

I found a LOT of great invert fossils in the North Kaibab.. go past Navajo Bridge and turn at the buffalo ranch sign. Follow the road south to Saddle Mtn which is right on the edge of the 'Canyon'.. place is loaded.. BTW, things have changed over the years and all the arrowheads you are stepping on must be left there.... lol

~Mike

I'm actually doing a job interview in Globe AZ on Tuesday so I might suddenly get very interested in AZ fossils.
If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

#6 fossils by great lakes

fossils by great lakes

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 02:36 PM

Supposedly there are good placoderm plates near Jerome in Yavapai county...

I'm going on a trip to AZ and LA in a couple weeks, but I don't have too much time. Are there any safe, accessible places to find fossils near Sedona or Flagstaff that don't require a hammer or other tools?
:)
Favorites:
Atrypa
Mucrospirifer
Tentaculites
Hexagonaria

#7 freeform

freeform

• Regular Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

The Mogollon Rim has huge amounts of invertebrate fossils, I've found opalized brachiopods the size of my hand. Crinoids too! The areas north of Payson, AZ hold many, many layers and places to explore. Esp along the highway 87 near the east verde river. Please be warned of digging restrictions and contact the Tonto Range station in Payson about current areas before heading out.

#8 papainaz1

papainaz1

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 06:07 PM

I recently moved to Prescott Az. Avid fossil collector but I don't know my way around here. Would like to hook-up with someone that has the same interest to do some collecting. This year has been espicially warm and dry and I thought maybe it would be a good collecting year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users