Sites In Ohio

Sam Park

Cincinnati - The entire region is loaded with fossils. Roadcuts throughout Hamilton County and surrounding counties expose very fossiliferous Ordovician limestones and shales.

Near Waynesville - Caesar Creek State Park spillway exposes the Waynesville, Liberty, and Whitewater formations (Richmondian). Many fossils to be found, mostly washed free and clean of matrix. Lots of brachiopods, gastropods, horn and colonial corals, bryozoans, crinoid stems, two types of trilobites, and many trace fossils. Many others items can also be found from time to time, including cephalopod pieces, tube worms, and pelecypods. Directions: Road to visitor's center/spillway is off of Route 73 between Waynesville and Haveysburg in NE Warren County (Ohio). Follow the sign to the visitor's center (a south turn off of 73, just east of Route 42). Stop at the visitor's center to get a free collecting pass. Continue on the visitor center road--the spillway is less than a mile (you can't miss it!) Hint: Rules forbid collecting on the rockfaces -- this is good advice in any event, because the best fossils are found on the spillway floor. One side of the spillway has a sign describing Ordovician sea life--this is the side to search.

A roadcut just north of Waynesville on Route 42 also exposes these formations.

A road cut on Route 52 about 15 miles east of Cincinnati that exposes the Eden. Trilobites, including "lace-collar" Cryptolithis and Flexicalymene are found, as well as typical Ordovician fauna. Also look for the occasional crinoid cup, graptolites, and interesting trace fossils.

Roadcuts around Georgetown expose the Coryville and Bellvue formations. Two cuts are the best. One is just east of Georgetown on Route 125, Brown County, Ohio (30-40 north east of Cincy). The other is on Route 68, west of Georgetown and south of Route 125.

The Eden is exposed along Route 68 at Ripley, just north of the Ohio River.

The East Fork Lake spillway. exposes the Fairmont type formations. Location: From I-275 (east of Cincy), travel east on Route 125 nine miles to Route 222. Turn left (north). About 0.7 miles north of 125, turn right (east) toward the spillway--broad, long valley. The far end of the spillway (as you drive in) is probably the best area. There are many fossils in some areas while other areas are sparse. Look for trilos, pelecypods, gastropods, brachs, and rare edrioasteroids, as well as other Ordovician goodies.

Hueston Woods State Park near Oxford exposes fossilferous Ordovician shales and limestone. Go to dam at the lower end of the biggest lake there and collect below it. Brachiopods, gastropods, corals, trilobites, bryozoans, etc.

Dayton - Roadcuts around Dayton expose the Richmond (Ordovician) through the Niagarin (Silurian) with plentiful fossils.

Lodi - There is a city park in which is in a river valley that runs through the center of town. In it (and in other streams in the area, but private property is an issue) are Mississippian sandstones and siltstones which contain a nice marine fauna including brachiopods, bryozoans, infrequent but fancy trilobites, rare starfish, common crinoids, some conulariids, and even occasional bits of carbonized wood.

On Route 170, just South of New Middletown, the abandoned quarries expose Pennylvanian marine fauna in the shale and limestone.

On Route 224, east of Poland, quarries on south side of road expose marine Pennsylvanian deposits. These are active for the most part, so secure permission first.

• I found this Informative 4
  • 1 year later...

I just started collecting fossils and happen to live in Warren County, same as Caesar's Creek and Waynesville. I hear this is a good spot for fossils...

Crinoid Queen

Wish i knew you a few weeks ago i just went their lol and sidnt find squatt lol :D

• 3 weeks later...

I'm David, from Cleveland, Ohio, and long interested in fossils, but just getting interested enough to go on hunts during the past year. I'm looking forward to making fossil hunting friends and taking trips to SW Ohio and Fossil Park and the nearby quarries in Sylvania, OH to look for fossils! I'm taking notes of all of your suggested locations! I wonder where some GOOD fossil finding locations might be right in the Cleveland area that I can check out? I understand the bedrock under Cleveland is Devonian, and not the older Ordivician in SW Ohio, or the Silurian in western Ohio, right?

• 10 years later...
I_gotta_rock

Hey, folks! Old post. Are these sites still all open to collecting?