Orbitolina Texana--Lower Glen Rose--Trinity Group

mikecable

Orbitolina texana is an index fossil for the Lower Glen Rose formation of the Trinity Group. (I wouldn't know this without the help of Erich Rose and Dan Woehr, and I wouldn't have found these fossils without Dan's help.) Not much to look at visually, but an important fossil, so I thought I would post this. Plus it gives me a chance to play with some new gear, and also to demonstrate to my sixth grade students how amateurs can engage in real science.

The Upper and Lower Glen Rose have been differentiated by a one foot layer of Corbula shells (Marion Whitney, Some New Pelecypoda from the Glen Rose Formation of Texas, J. Paleontology, Vol. 26, p. 697 (Sept. 1952).

I haven't identified that layer. But Dan informed me of the Orbitolina texana zone as being a marker for the echinoid producing layer of the lower Glen Rose. If anyone would like to chime in with info on the Corbula layer I would love to know more.

post-7463-0-75585100-1367093138_thumb.jpg

Site picture. I don't know if the overlaying member is the Upper Glen Rose or just a distinctive bed in the Lower Glen Rose. I didn't have time to investigate that layer, and since the site is more than a three hour drive I won't be checking this weekend.

post-7463-0-69504900-1367093140_thumb.jpg

in situ picture of Orbitolina texana. I've seen them described as discs, plates, etc. In cross-section they look like tiny flying saucers.

post-7463-0-46708700-1367093133_thumb.jpgpost-7463-0-76277400-1367093136_thumb.jpg

Some close up pics. Not much to look at, but since I went to the trouble to sieve them and photograph them I thought I would post this.

If you want to know more

The Foraminiferal Genus Orbitolina in North America

post-7463-0-01035000-1367094701_thumb.jpg

Finally some evidence that Orbitolina texana identifies the echinoid zone of the Lower Glen Rose. A nice Leptosalenia texana. Found at this very site.

I'm feeling scientific.

Accidental, but you can see one of the tiny flying saucers named Orbitolina texana diving into the mouth of the above echinoid. I'm feeling whimsical, but I can't help thinking of Raquel Welch in Fantastic Voyage.

Edited by mikecable

glad you enjoyed the Kgr, mike. above the leptosalenia zone is upper glen rose; below it, the lower. orbitolina shows up in lots of marly zones in the Kgr. whenever i see these forams, i slow down and look for echs as they are often found together.

• I found this Informative 1

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

glad you enjoyed the Kgr, mike. above the leptosalenia zone is upper glen rose; below it, the lower. orbitolina shows up in lots of marly zones in the Kgr. whenever i see these forams, i slow down and look for echs as they are often found together.

I enjoyed both sites, but I truly took joy from identifying a foram, albeit a large one.

I still don't know if I'm a geek, a nerd, or both. But sometimes when I get excited by small things like this my students share my joy. I can't help but think that's a good thing.

Accidental, but you can see one of the tiny flying saucers named Orbitolina texana diving into the mouth of the above echinoid. I'm feeling whimsical, but I can't help thinking of Raquel Welch in Fantastic Voyage.

post-7463-0-74181000-1367098116_thumb.jpg

micros have their allure...and wives don't mind them entering the house as much as macros!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

micros have their allure...and wives don't mind them entering the house as much as macros!

Not so sure on that one my brother. I was drying matrix just this week in the oven. Didn't make me popular.

On the flip side, I was criticized for tasting something in a green tea bottle in the fridge. Turned out to be some sort of apple cider vinegar concoction for hair care. Didn't taste like tea.

Not so sure on that one my brother. I was drying matrix just this week in the oven. Didn't make me popular.

On the flip side, I was criticized for tasting something in a green tea bottle in the fridge. Turned out to be some sort of apple cider vinegar concoction for hair care. Didn't taste like tea.

...shudder...

Mike, your spacecraft has taken a turn for the worse...the mouth is on the opposite side. :mellow:

However, the association of the foram and the echinoid is classic and still beautiful.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

...shudder...

Mike, your spacecraft has taken a turn for the worse...the mouth is on the opposite side. :mellow:

However, the association of the foram and the echinoid is classic and still beautiful.

I don't know how I made that newbie mistake. Thanks for the correction.

• 6 months later...

doing research on the orbitolina and saw this post- How big can they get? I found what looks exactly like the ones in your picture in Round Rock creek just north of Austin. But it is 3" in diameter. Slightly indented on one side. Could it possibly be an orbitolina? It seems they are only an inch or less across typically. It is possible that it is just a piece of perfectly round saucer shaped limestone......I'll get pics of it tomorrow.

Edited; the more I look at it I'm pretty sure it's just a rock. hopefull newbie....

Edited by JamieLynn

• 2 weeks later...

The biggest Orbitolina I have is about 10-13mm, Nummulites about 30-35mm in dia. Possibly a sand dollar? I have them from 10mm to 100mm in diameter.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It's obvious Mike, from the picture, that Raquel has all the attributes of a fine microbiologist. :D

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks