Sam Park

Texas Sites

geologistintx

Sebazen, about road cuts,I agree that local authorities follow their own rules. They will leave you alone or they will ask you to leave. the most important point is to be safe, away from local traffic. Good luck

vellis

I am making a trip to Tyler for a weekend sometime soon. Are there any decent places around there to go?

Hufflepuff_Dont_Care

If you are looking for Shark Teeth, you should check out Post Oak Creek in Sherman, TX..

Just off Center Street. and hwy 75. There are millions down there.

I have collected over 20,000 or so in the last 15 years, and every time it rains you get a whole new selection.

Its amazing when you can sit in one spot and find over 40 teeth in a 2' x 2' area.

Happy Hunting!!!

Posting so that I can find later. This sounds exciting and I'm anxious to check it out.

harpo568

at the end of this month (feb 2013) I am going to be in Dallas (Fiancee is on a business trip and I am going along for the ride.Then getting married) and have 1 day to do any hunting. Since we are taking a company car I can't venture too far (maybe an hour or so away) but really want to spend that 1 day free fossil hunting. can anyone point me in the right direction? I saw the info on Lake Worth but would like to find some other places to hunt as well.

I am still very new to fossil hunting and won't have many tools with me...probably just a hammer and a camera...no room for a shovel, sifter, etc.

anyway, thanks for any help that anyone can give me.

Holisticmuse

Hi,

I just found this site and would love to know where to find/ hunt for fossils near San Antonio. I will be there this week, staying downtown while my husband is at conference. I love fossils and am always looking at ground, but have never been trained. Are there any areas I can find to look? I have a prospector pick, safety glasses, magnifier, and enthusaism.

I will have a car , but would love to stay fairly close. Thanks for any help.

Please reply ASAP, as we travel tomorrow! Ddp

JoeViturbo

College Station - There is a lot of top quality fossilized wood around College Station.

Where would I begin looking? River banks and creek beds?

Auspex

Where would I begin looking? River banks and creek beds?

Contact member silverphoenix <(click the name to get to his profile). He has that area wired!

FossilDAWG
On 11/15/2008 at 10:44 AM, Sam Park said:

Near Bend -- The Pennsylvanian, Smithwick Formation shales produce a fair number of cephalopods, ammonites and nicely detailed trilobites. This site is for the more dedicated collector as finding good specimens requires using a rock hammer and chisels to split the shale layers. Go west out of Lampasas on Route 580 to Bend. Cross the Colorado river into Bend, make a right and go approx.1/2 mile until you see the white ME ranch fence on the left. The site is across the street down a short unobstructed rocky drive to the river (about 100 meters). The black shale weathers to tan and is easy to spot. Look for the easiest areas near the river bank.

A guest sent the following message:

Site on the colorado near Bend, Texas is closed. It is private land and owned by a man who could get MAD!!!!

Don