• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Park

Sam Park

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:55 AM

Stewart County, east side of US 27, 4 miles north of Lumpkin at milepost 13, south of Frog Bottom Creek is an upper Cretaceous cut which produces large Exogyra costata and Flemingostrea subspatulata, smaller oysters, and occasional shark teeth in the Ripley Formation.
Stewart County, Hannahatchee Creek, north of Route 39 approximately 10 km west of intersection with US 27. Easiest access is at the second bridge walk a short distance north to the main creek. Not much in the way of mollusks, but nice, very large Scaphanorhynchus texanus shark teeth are found Blufftown Formation (also Cretaceous.)
Houston County, has an abandoned limestone quarry on the east side of Elko Road, 0.75 miles south of Flat Creek, 3 miles south of the city of Perry. Internal casts of mollusks, pectens, oysters, bryozoans, and echinoids are found in the Tivola (Ocala-Crystal River) Limestone, upper Eocene.
Houston County, on west side of US 41, approx. 4 miles south of intersection with State Route 127 produces upper Eocene internal casts of corals and mollusks in the Twiggs Clay. The Twiggs is also exposed on Elko Rd., 3-4 miles south of Perry.
Houston County, a roadcut on both sides of Route 26, 2 miles west of Elko Rd. at milepost 6 produces Calcite replaced mollusks and internal casts from the upper Oligocene Flint River Formation. The same formation is exposed in Dooly County, in a roadcut on dirt road 0.25 miles south of County Line Rd., 4.25 miles east of Elko Rd.
In Mitchell County, the Flint River Formation is exposed on the south side of State Route 112 between Bridgeboro and Lester in the Penn-Dixie Quarry. You must obtain permission to hunt the quarry.
Mississippian fauna can be found on I-59 in NE Georgia, at the exit to Rising Fawn. Behind a convenience store, they've completely dug up a hillside. You'll find some Archimedes bryozoans in some of the rocks there, crinoid bits, and an occasional blastoid. You might want to try to sift through the clay beneath these rocks for stuff that has weathered out.

#2 Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the info. That ought to keep the kids and me busy for a while. ;)
If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

#3 mommabetts

mommabetts

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,834 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 01:23 PM

Thanks for posting.

#4 FossilDAWG

FossilDAWG

Member of the Month May 2011

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Awards

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:41 PM

Stewart County, east side of US 27, 4 miles north of Lumpkin at milepost 13, south of Frog Bottom Creek is an upper Cretaceous cut which produces large Exogyra costata and Flemingostrea subspatulata, smaller oysters, and occasional shark teeth in the Ripley Formation.
Stewart County, Hannahatchee Creek, north of Route 39 approximately 10 km west of intersection with US 27. Easiest access is at the second bridge walk a short distance north to the main creek. Not much in the way of mollusks, but nice, very large Scaphanorhynchus texanus shark teeth are found Blufftown Formation (also Cretaceous.)
Houston County, has an abandoned limestone quarry on the east side of Elko Road, 0.75 miles south of Flat Creek, 3 miles south of the city of Perry. Internal casts of mollusks, pectens, oysters, bryozoans, and echinoids are found in the Tivola (Ocala-Crystal River) Limestone, upper Eocene.
Houston County, on west side of US 41, approx. 4 miles south of intersection with State Route 127 produces upper Eocene internal casts of corals and mollusks in the Twiggs Clay. The Twiggs is also exposed on Elko Rd., 3-4 miles south of Perry.
Houston County, a roadcut on both sides of Route 26, 2 miles west of Elko Rd. at milepost 6 produces Calcite replaced mollusks and internal casts from the upper Oligocene Flint River Formation. The same formation is exposed in Dooly County, in a roadcut on dirt road 0.25 miles south of County Line Rd., 4.25 miles east of Elko Rd.
In Mitchell County, the Flint River Formation is exposed on the south side of State Route 112 between Bridgeboro and Lester in the Penn-Dixie Quarry. You must obtain permission to hunt the quarry.
Mississippian fauna can be found on I-59 in NE Georgia, at the exit to Rising Fawn. Behind a convenience store, they've completely dug up a hillside. You'll find some Archimedes bryozoans in some of the rocks there, crinoid bits, and an occasional blastoid. You might want to try to sift through the clay beneath these rocks for stuff that has weathered out.

Just a heads-up that the above was cut and pasted from some very very old info on the web. In particular, the Frog Bottom Creek locality used to be great, but 4-5 years ago the highway was widened and the hillside was cut back and sodded over. Now all you might find is a few pieces of Anomia shells or small broken fragments of Exogyra poking out from under that fabric material they spread to hold down erosion until the grass takes hold. A truely spectacular site now totally ruined. Hannahatchee Creek is still a good site, but access can be a problem as the whole creek is private property and at least some owners don't appreciate fossil diggers. Also we're getting into hunting season, some of the better parts of the creek are on land leased to hunting clubs and there is a very good chance of aquiring a bad case of lead poisoning. My experience with Penn-Dixie is that permission must be arranged in advance and is given only with approval from upper management (i.e. to researchers but maybe not to casual collectors). Still it doesn't hurt to ask. Also most roadcuts and even old quarries in the Eocene formations weather badly and become unrecognizable and overgrown in just a few years. Fresh road construction is a better bet. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, just warning (from bitter experience) that you should find out some more current information before launching on a long drive. You might be best to join an active local mineral/fossil hunting club, they usually know the good sites and take care of arranging permission and such.

Good luck,
Don

#5 serch

serch

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 09:24 AM

You all probably have seen this before.

http://www.fossilsit...m/STATES/GA.HTM

#6 Trevor

Trevor

Driftor

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:04 PM

Awesome!!!Thanks for the sites, Georgia and Virginia were still site needed places, now one is off the list! ^_^
Trevor

#7 addicted2fossils

addicted2fossils

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

The Alapaha River in Echols County, GA near Statenville produces petrified wood and shark teeth. I haven't found any big teeth yet, though they are Miocene in age, I'm not sure where the megs are! and I've yet to find any info on the petrified wood.
  • dmthieme finds this informative
Fossil hunting from dawn til' dusk!

#8 carboniferous

carboniferous

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 10:37 AM

Good info all around, thanks for posting!  Has anyone collected the quarry south of Perry recently?

#9 addicted2fossils

addicted2fossils

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:44 PM

Is the quarry mining kaolin? I've gone collecting in a kaolin mine quite some some years ago, was invited in by some people who had permission to hunt there... Since then I've been looking for other kaolin mines I could get in to. Is it legal to look in the quarry near Perry?
Fossil hunting from dawn til' dusk!

#10 carboniferous

carboniferous

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 08:55 PM

I believe it was a lime mine.  Not sure what the status of it is.  As close as I am to it, you'd think I would.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users