How Do I Know My Consolidation Has Worked?

garyc

I mixed up a solution to consolidate some fossils, using acetone and model glue. I could not find duco glue as was suggested here on TFF. The brand I used was called Testor's, from Michael's. I mixed a tube of the cement w/ about 8oz of acetone and shook the jar vigorously, but the glue did not completely disolve. The acetone became much less clear, but there was still quite a bit of the solid looking glue at the bottom of the jar. I went ahead and dipped a few fossils for 30-60 seconds until bubbling quit and took them out to dry.

Their pre dip and post dip appearance is the same. How do I know if consolidation was successful without waiting a few years for things to fall apart? Did I do any good at all? Should I look somewhere else and buy the Duco glue instead?

The failure to dissolve completely is worrisome, and causes me to wonder how deep the polymer itself might have penetrated.

Were the fossils mine, I'd find some Duco for the rest.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

How long did you wait for the glue to dissolve? You might have to let it sit for at least an hour so the glue can dissolve completely. You can use a popsicle stick or something to help break up the glue so it dissolves faster. Butvar needs time to dissolve too.

Yeah, if there was still a lot of glue at the bottom, I doubt your fossils absorbed much if any.

Acetone is a mild solvent and doesn't really change the color of fossils because it evaporates so quickly. You still have to be careful with it because some bones have not preserved well (powdery or splintery at the ends), and even in the 30-60 seconds a bone is in the acetone, it could weaken further, You should brush on the solution instead of dipping it and let it dry. Apply another coat later.

I mixed up a solution to consolidate some fossils, using acetone and model glue. I could not find duco glue as was suggested here on TFF. The brand I used was called Testor's, from Michael's. I mixed a tube of the cement w/ about 8oz of acetone and shook the jar vigorously, but the glue did not completely disolve. The acetone became much less clear, but there was still quite a bit of the solid looking glue at the bottom of the jar. I went ahead and dipped a few fossils for 30-60 seconds until bubbling quit and took them out to dry.

Their pre dip and post dip appearance is the same. How do I know if consolidation was successful without waiting a few years for things to fall apart? Did I do any good at all? Should I look somewhere else and buy the Duco glue instead?

Yeah, I've shaken it several times and let it sit for a few hours. There's still a considerable amount of solid swirling around. I'll look for the duco. Didn't see it at walmart. I'll try ace or homedepot.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Gary, the only place I've been able to find the Duco glue in a store is Ace Hardware. There should be a couple in your area.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks all. Found Duco at Ace. Mixed w/ 8oz of acetone and it dissolved very quickly. The other jar I mixed with Testors model cement still has not dissolved after 2 days and lots of vigorous shaking.

Sounds like acetone isn't a solvent for Testors model cement. The other guys put you on the right track with an acetone soluble cement.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Yeah, there are other solvents you can find at a hobby store - sometimes generically called "debonders." They dissolve CA glue but they can also weaken bone and enamel, especially thin bone as with bird material. You should have a debonder in your prep kit but use it carefully - test it on a random bone piece.

Thanks all. Found Duco at Ace. Mixed w/ 8oz of acetone and it dissolved very quickly. The other jar I mixed with Testors model cement still has not dissolved after 2 days and lots of vigorous shaking.

• 3 weeks later...

If in doubt, I brush on another coat of consolidant, a 'dry' fossil will drink it up, a fully consolidated one will just build up a thicker layer on the surface (which can be removed/ reduced by brushing on some solvent).