Sharktooth Hill

makoken

nice pinniped tooth! looks like a lower canine, possibly Allodesmus.

Bobby

I thought that it was probably a sea lion canine. pretty good size , nice colors on the enamel

nice pinniped tooth! looks like a lower canine, possibly Allodesmus.

Bobby

Is that you in the pic. and is it in cali? I would like to see more posts and pics from sharktooth hill...........

You have some nice teeth there, good finds. And welcome to the forum.

Thanks, do you hunt ? Or just interested in fossils ?

here are some of my favorites from over the years digging in bakersfield.

Those are really nice, there is one just to the right of the big 1 in the center, the light brown 1, what is that from?

here are some of my favorites from over the years digging in bakersfield.

Nice! :drool:

Have you found any bird bones?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Those are really nice, there is one just to the right of the big 1 in the center, the light brown 1, what is that from?

The ones to the right with the cusps are cow shark teeth.

Nice! :drool:

Have you found any bird bones?

No , nobird bones. Mostly marine mammals. Sea lion, dolphin, and whale. I did find a bird claw core on my trip to the peace river.

No , no bird bones. Mostly marine mammals. Sea lion, dolphin, and whale. I did find a bird claw core on my trip to the peace river.

I ask because they are known from STH, and the site is not represented (yet) in my collection.

Keep your eyes open! ;) Link: http://elibrary.unm.edu/sora/Condor/files/...p0399-p0402.pdf

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I will do that. I have heard of bird fossils in the listed fauna of the buena vista musuems list.

Miocene birds in general are badly underrepresented in my collection; heck, I have more Cretaceous material (definitely a thorn in my side)!

WOW!!! I love the Meg and the Cow Symphyseal.

Thanks the cow shark was quite a find ,unfortunately it broke while I was cleaning it . nontheless still a favorite

Again, nice teeth. I see you're familiar with Garry Dye's new "Show-off" section as well. His teeth are consistently amazing

http://megalodonsharkteeth.com/

Gary has the best teeth,always amazing. I have been lucky enough to get a couple of them. his web site is really cool since the make-over.

I would love to go out there someday. Sweet finds B)B)B)B):drool::drool::drool:

Thanks, You also have some really nice teeth. It looks like you already have some sth teeth. I am hoping to get back to fla. to do another peace river trip, but work continues to get in the way.

You have some nice brambles there along with a lot of other wonderful fossils! Sharktooth hill is in CA right? Never been there, but would love to someday.

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

You have some nice brambles there along with a lot of other wonderful fossils! Sharktooth hill is in CA right? Never been there, but would love to someday.

Thanks, it is in C.A., and a great place to dig for teeth. It is getting harder with the amount of overburden to clear, but always worht it.

Thanks, it is in C.A., and a great place to dig for teeth. It is getting harder with the amount of overburden to clear, but always worht it.

Makoken - or anyone...

My fiancee and I are driving thru Bakersfield next Wed (Nov 26) and I wanted to show her Sharktooth Hill. We just want to hike around for @ an hour and show her where my father and I camped some 25+ years ago. We won't be doing any formal digging or prospecting (but hope to find a tooth or something while walking). I just want to share a bit of my childhood with her. Can you offer any info as to how I can find it again - or anything else? Thanks!

DiverDave

Makoken - or anyone...

My fiancee and I are driving thru Bakersfield next Wed (Nov 26) and I wanted to show her Sharktooth Hill. We just want to hike around for @ an hour and show her where my father and I camped some 25+ years ago. We won't be doing any formal digging or prospecting (but hope to find a tooth or something while walking). I just want to share a bit of my childhood with her. Can you offer any info as to how I can find it again - or anything else? Thanks!

DiverDave

To my my knowledge, the real sharktooth hill property is owned by one of the local colleges. Bob Ernst, who sadly has passed away, owned 410 acres adjacent to the original STH is now in probate. The area I hunt is across from the California Living Museum. The address is 10500 Alfrd Harrell Hwy. You can see the military type trenches showing the diggings. Good luck !!!

To my my knowledge, the real sharktooth hill property is owned by one of the local colleges. Bob Ernst, who sadly has passed away, owned 410 acres adjacent to the original STH is now in probate. The area I hunt is across from the California Living Museum. The address is 10500 Alfrd Harrell Hwy. You can see the military type trenches showing the diggings. Good luck !!!

Wow, sorry to hear about the issues going on with STH and the passing of Bob. But thanks for the info!!!!! I'm sure that will suffice for sharing with my fiancee!! :D