Ordovician Micro Sample

Herb

Here's a couple old slides showing the variety of micro fossils in the Upper Ordovician of KY,IN,TN and OH.

There are Tentaculites, a conodont (22) , ostracods, glass sphere, a lot of scolecodonts (annelid worm jaws) and more. Two views of same slide.

post-2520-0-88317600-1367533463_thumb.jpgpost-2520-0-28133400-1367533501_thumb.jpg

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Those are cool. Is it asking too much for a closer up photo of the one between No 4 and 29? Looks like a little jaw.

Highly fascinating!

Those are cool. Is it asking too much for a closer up photo of the one between No 4 and 29? Looks like a little jaw.

Scolecodont jaw, I think.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow, I'm lovin' your micro collection, Herb.

And your collecting threads and display system are great.

May I point out, though, that I believe #23 is a conodont.

Steve

Herb, Any idea what the tiny glass sphere is? I found a bunch of those in micro material from Post Oak Creek Texas (cretaceous-present)

Ramo

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

My bad, it was a typo, #23 not #22 is a conodont, also #51 (amber colored) all the rest of the black tooth/jaw looking things are scolecodonts. There are lots of them in the Upper Ord.

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

If you press <control> <+> the first picture is easier to see. Sorry about the shot. Shooting it with my DSLR was the only way to get the whole slide in the frame .

Here is a link to one of my earlier posts on "crystal balls."

That's a wonderful collection Herb, there's a lot of work in this, am I right?

A true inspiration, indeed!

Jean

JeanB

Montreal, QC, Canada

Ordovician, Trenton group

Herb, Any idea what the tiny glass sphere is? I found a bunch of those in micro material from Post Oak Creek Texas (cretaceous-present)

Ramo

Here's my belief.

Herb, Is it possible if you found the Crystal balls near a road? Highway reflective marks and strips are painted with glass spheres in or on the yellow and white paint making them reflective. The application spraying process and paint weathering gets those glass beads all over the place. I like the volcanic explanation, but seldom does mother earth have molten material that stays optically clear.

Have you ever examined Ordovician vertebrate material from the Harding Sandstone? Really nice looking Conodonts, fish teeth and fish scales are in it. If you can't get your hands on some, PM me

and I'll give you some to study. The matrix breaks down fairly easy and as you know by your Scolecodonts, the Conodonts don't survive well if you pulverize too small.

Herb, Is it possible if you found the Crystal balls near a road? Highway reflective marks and strips are painted with glass spheres in or on the yellow and white paint making them reflective. The application spraying process and paint weathering gets those glass beads all over the place. I like the volcanic explanation, but seldom does mother earth have molten material that stays optically clear.

Have you ever examined Ordovician vertebrate material from the Harding Sandstone? Really nice looking Conodonts, fish teeth and fish scales are in it. If you can't get your hands on some, PM me

and I'll give you some to study. The matrix breaks down fairly easy and as you know by your Scolecodonts, the Conodonts don't survive well if you pulverize too small.

Anything is possible I guess but they seem to be more common that the sprayed reflector spheres would account for. ( I think I will scrape some off the road to compare) and look at some more samples. I do not have the Harding sandstone in my area, I would be interested in taking a look at some matrix.