Sign in to follow this  
Fruitbat

Fruitbat's Pdf Library - Fossil Fakes, Composites And Pseudofossils

Fruitbat

These are a few of the pdf files (and a few Microsoft Word documents) that I've accumulated in my web browsing.

MOST of these are hyperlinked to their source.

If you want one that is not hyperlinked or if the link isn't working, e-mail me at joegallo1954@gmail.com and I'll be happy to send it to you.

Please note that this list will be updated continuously as I find more available resources. All of these files are freely available on the Internet so there should be no copyright issues.

Articles with author names in RED are new additions since July 6, 2017.

Fossil Fakes and Composites

Aguirre, J. (2004). Plagiarism in Paleontology: A New Threat Within the Scientific Community. Revista Española de Micropaleontologia, 36(2).

Balter, M. (2013). Authenticity of China's Fabulous Fossils Gets New Scrutiny. Science, Vol.340.

Bednarik, R.G. (2013). African Eve: Hoax or Hypothesis? Advances in Anthropology, Vol.3, Number 4.

Branch, G. and E.C. Scott (2013). Peking, Piltdown and Paluxy: creationist legends about paleoanthropology. Evolution: Education and Outreach, 6: 27.

Corbacho, J. and C. Sendino. Fossil fakes and their recognition.

Corbacho, J., C. Sendino., and M'H.Tahiri (2011). Palaeontological Fakes. Batalleria, 16. (Thanks to xonenine for finding this one!)

Dawson, C. and A.S. Woodward (1913). On the Discovery of a Paleolithic Human Skull and Mandible in the Flint-Bearing Gravel Overlying the Wealden at Piltdown, Fletching.Quarterly Journal of the Geological Society, Vol. 69. (NOTE: 'Piltdown Man' was later proven to be one of the greatest hoaxes ever perpetrated in science. This article is included for historical value only.)

Eriksson, M.E. and G.O. Poinar (2015). Fake it till you make it - the uncanny art of forging amber. Geology Today, Vol.31, Number 1.
Espinoza, E.O., et al. (1990). A Method for Differentiating Modern from Ancient Proboscidean Ivory in Worked Objects. Current Research in the Pleistocene, Vol.7.

Kosmowska-Ceranowicz, B. (2003). Amber Imitations in the Warsaw amber collection. Acta zoologica cracoviensia, 46 (suppl.-Fossil Insects).

Lerosey-Aubril, R.. A fake Inca trilobite from Chile. The trilobite papers, 16.

Massare, J.A. and D.R. Lomax (2014). Recognizing Composite Specimens of Jurassic Ichthyosaurs in Historical Collections. The Geological Curator, 10(1).  (Note: Article begins on page 9.  Thanks to doushantuo for locating this one!)

Mateus, O., M. Overbeeke, and F. Rita (2008). Dinosaur Frauds, Hoaxes and "Frankensteins": How to Distinguish Fake and Genuine Vertebrate Fossils. Journal of Paleontological Techniques, Number 2.

Olson, S.L. (2000). Birds-Dino Flap - Countdown to Piltdown at National Geographic. The Rise and Fall of Archaeoraptor. Backbone, Vol.13, Number 2.

Raducanu, I. (2006). Actual Exigencies Concerning the Quality of Amber Pieces Commercialized in Romania. Buletinul Universitatii Petrol - Gaze din Ploiesti, Vol. LVIII, Number 2.

Rowe, T., et al. (2001). The Archaeoraptor forgery. Nature, Vol.410 (brief communications).
Ruffell, A., N. Majury and W.E. Brooks (2012). Geological Fakes and Frauds. Earth-Science Reviews, 111.

Padian, K. (2000). Feathers, Fakes and Fossil Dealers: How the Commercial Sale of Fossils Erodes Science and Education. Palaeontologia Electronica, Vol.3, Issue 2, Editorial 2.

Senter, P. and D.M. Klein (2014). Investigations of claims of late-surviving pterosaurs: the cases of Belon's, Aldrovandi's, and Cardinal Barberini's winged dragons. Palaeontologia Electronica, Vol.17, Issue 3. 

Senter, P. and P.D. Wilkins (2013). Investigation of a claim of a late-surviving pterosaur and exposure of a taxidemic hoax: the case of Cornelius Meyer's dragon. Palaeontologia Electronica, Vol.16, Issue 1; 6A.

Stone, R. (2010). Altering the Past: China's Faked Fossils Problem. Science, Vol.330.

Straus, W.L. (1954). The Great Piltdown Hoax. Science, Vol.119.

Turrittin, T.H. (2006). An annotated bibliography of the Piltdown Man forgery, 1953-2005. PalArch, 1, 1.

Vanlandingham, S.L. Extraordinary Examples of Deception in Peer Reviewing: Conconction of the Dorenberg Skull Hoax and Related Misconduct.

Wang, X. (2013). Mortgaging the future of Chinese paleontology. PNAS, Vol.110, Number 9.

Wing, O. (2009). A simulated bird gastric mill and its implications for fossil gastrolith authenticity. Fossil Record, 12(1).

Zhou, Z., J.A. Clarke and F. Zhang (2002). Archaeoraptor's Better Half. Nature, Vol. 420.

Zipfel, B., C. Yates and A.M. Yates (2010). A case of vertebrate fossil forgery from Madagascar. Palaeont.afr., 45, Technical Note.

Pseudofossils

Breton, G., M. Serrano-Sanchez and F.J. Vega (2014). Filamentous micro-organisms, inorganic inclusions and pseudo-fossils in the Miocene amber from Totolapa (Chiapas, Mexico): taphonomy and systematics. Boletin de la Sociedad Geologica Mexicana, Vol.66, Number 1.

Jenkins, R.J.F., P.S. Plummer and K.C. Moriarty (1981). Late Precambrian Pseudofossils from the Flinders Ranges, South Australia. Transactions of The Royal Society of South Australia, 105.

Knaust, D. and R. Hauschke (2004). Trace fossils versus pseudofossils in Lower Triassic playa deposits, Germany. Palaeogeography, Palaeoclimatology, Palaeoecoloty, 215.

Queensland Museum (2011). Pseudofossils - Fact Sheet. The State of Queensland (Queensland Museum).

Schopf, J.W., et al. (2010). Precambrian microbe-like pseudofossils: A promising solution to the problem. Precambrian Research, 179.

xonenine

I will remember to check so's not to double document postings, it is a good practice anyway, 'cause we all know how many searches lead back to the forum. There is even some neat statistic for it in the website analytics :)

thanks Joe!

Fruitbat

My pleasure xonenine! I've been thinking about adding this section for a while and your post gave me the impetus to go ahead and do it! It should be a LOT of fun looking for papers on pseudofossils!! Your contributions, as always, are spectacular!

-Joe

Fruitbat

Updated June 17, 2014.

-Joe

Fruitbat

Updated March 7, 2015.

-Joe

Fruitbat

Updated July 26, 2015.

-Joe

Fruitbat

Updated July 7, 2017.