11 replies to this topic

#1 sward

sward

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

We seem to get several new members from the Dallas/Ft. Worth (DFW) area of Texas.  We of course welcome y'all and want to see each of you succeed in your pursuits.

One of the common questions I've noticed is "...where are some hunting spots around the Metroplex?"  Being a newbie myself, I know getting started and learning how to investigate and find new spots can be one of the hardest endeavors.

So, I thought I would try to put together a "simple map" of the DFW Metroplex area with some of the commonly known areas, or at least some common sites I'm familiar with.  By no means have I intended this map to be all inclusive of commonly known areas, nor have I intended to identify "secret spots".

Most of the sites I'm familiar with are on the western side of the Metroplex because I live in the western portion.  Therefore, I spend most of my time in this area.  I'm not very familiar with areas in the eastern portion of the Metroplex.

I intend this map to be an on-going work in progress.  If you know some common sites, particularly on the east side of the Metroplex, let me know and I'll try to update this map as I learn more sites.  I have no intention of posting "secret sites", only those that seem to be common knowledge and can already be found by doing some internet searches for fossils in the DFW area.

These images from Google Earth are dated 6/12/2011 and 8/2/2012, so conditions may have changed since these images were made.  Therefore, some areas may now be fenced off or access may be limited.  Also, some of these areas are/were very easy to access, while others require a bit of effort (creek beds, etc.).  Keep in mind that you should never cross fences without permission and that any situation can become a dangerous one.  Please use all necessary common sense and caution anytime you're exploring.

The first image is a Google Earth image of the DFW Metroplex area.  The common sites I've identified so far are posted with a letter ("A"-"F").  Below the map is a brief description of the location and the formation (according to the Google Earth USGS overlay).

Attached File  DFW Metroplex Sites.jpg   282.01KB   67 downloads

A - A construction site on the north side of I-820, just east of the Lake Worth Bridge.  Google Earth identifies this as a combination of Kiamichi Formation (Kki) and Goodland Limestone/Walnut Clay (undivided) (Kgw)

B - Inspiration Point - a look-out point overlooking Lake Worth and NASFWJRB - Carswell.  You can hike down the bluffs (there are several trails) and hike to the spillway of Lake Worth.  Google Earth identifies this as Kiamichi Formation (Kki), however, danwoehr has updated this to probable Goodland formation.

C - Intersection of Riverside Drive and Lancaster.  Google Earth identifies this as Ft. Worth Limestone/Duck Creek Formations (undivided) (Kfd).  The outcrops are on both the east and west side of Riverside Drive.

Attached File  Lancaster-Riverside East Street View.jpg   99.25KB   21 downloadsAttached File  Lancaster-Riverside West Street View.jpg   80.58KB   14 downloads

The fence shown in the Lancaster-Riverside West Street View image is currently not there (as of May, 2013).

D - Benbrook Spillway.  Google Earth identifies this as Grayson / Mainstreet (Kgm), however, danwoehr has updated this to probable Goodland formation.

E - A small roadcut on Highway 10 - east of the Bell Helicopter plant.  Google Earth identifies this as Grayson / Mainstreet (Kgm).  This roadcut is on the north side of Hwy 10.  There are possibly some other outcrops on the south side of Hwy 10, just across the street, at the base of some electric line towers.

Attached File  Hwy 10 Roadcut.jpg   113.4KB   15 downloads

F - Creek at the south entrance to DFW airport.  Google Earth identifies this as Eagle Ford (Kef).  You'll need to be careful in this creek because some of it becomes property of DFW airport and they don't take kindly to intruders.

As I've said, this should be used only as a guide to help new members get started.  There is no substitute to doing your own research and exploration.  There is no greater satisfaction than performing your own research, investigation and exploration and coming up with your own secret spot that produces fossils that you admire.

Edited by sward, 06 May 2013 - 08:01 AM.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

#2 Boneman007

Boneman007

5/14/63 - 6/6/13 ~~~~RIP~~~~

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:56 AM

I would stay as far away from the DFW creek as possible. 

You could go to prison for the rest of your life for hunting that site.

Tresspassing on federally regulated airport land is a definite no-no. 

#3 sward

sward

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:21 AM

I would stay as far away from the DFW creek as possible. 

You could go to prison for the rest of your life for hunting that site.

Tresspassing on federally regulated airport land is a definite no-no. 

I know that from where International Parkway crosses it and to the northwest is part of the DFW Airport (though there are some nice looking outcrops in that area), but I believe to the southeast of International Parkway would not be considered airport property.

As I said, you've got to use some common sense when exploring, don't ya?  My rule of thumb, if there's a fence or no trespassing sign, that's as far as I go.

Edited by sward, 03 May 2013 - 12:26 PM.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

#4 danwoehr

danwoehr

Member of the Month 09/08; Find of the Month 12/09; VFOTM 11/11

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,607 posts

Awards

Posted 03 May 2013 - 12:47 PM

i think there may be mostly goodland fm exposed at the benbrook spillway as well as in the bluffs at inspiration point.

if you see white limestone bedded intermittently with tan/grayish marl, gray when wet, with oxytropidoceras ammonites and hemiaster whitei
echinoids, you are in the goodland.

map reading can be deceiving at times as formations in stream valleys are in places a formation older than mapped on the surface, due to downcutting. adjust for dip and you can estimate how far downstream the actual contact is from the mapped contact.

throw in the mapped alluvial and terrace gravels
in stream valleys and map reading just took on
another layer of complexity.

sorry to venture slightly off topic but this info may help neophytes correlate what they see onsite vs what is mapped.

Edited by danwoehr, 03 May 2013 - 12:49 PM.

• jeremy.greene and Suvi find this informative
Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

#5 sward

sward

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:13 PM

Brent & Dan,

Thanks.  This, as well as other common fossil locations, is the type of feedback I'm hoping for.  I'm hoping this will help newbies like myself and others learn more about the area.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

USA

#6 Boneman007

Boneman007

5/14/63 - 6/6/13 ~~~~RIP~~~~

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:22 PM

I know that from where International Parkway crosses it and to the northwest is part of the DFW Airport (though there are some nice looking outcrops in that area), but I believe to the southeast of International Parkway would not be considered airport property.

As I said, you've got to use some common sense when exploring, don't ya?  My rule of thumb, if there's a fence or no trespassing sign, that's as far as I go.

I am talking about the creek that is just south of the DFW airport exit.

Before 9/11, I had a long conversations with a state trooper, as I was leaving the creek in question.  His statements to me were, and I quote, "You're lucky we're not at war or anything, because I would have to arrest you and put you in jail."

It does have some neat material, and the Calcycoceras ammonites are present (Some people used to hunt the creek by going bare foot, and "feeling" for the ammonites), but it will definitely get you in trouble, if this is the creek we are talking about. 

And, yes, I have had some interesting conversations with law enforcement!  :D

(I wont go into details about the SWAT team that was sent out to the lake lewisville spillway to talk to me...(I had permission, btw))

#7 BBFunk

BBFunk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 01:38 PM

SWAT team at the Lake Lewisville spillway sounds like an interesting story... and I was hoping to go down there and look some time in the next couple weeks.  Is that area off limits?  I saw on a finishing forum where people talked about being able to go there and fish, but the last post was a few years old and the rules may have changed there.

I will add to the topic (and I mostly know western DFW as that is where I grew up and do most of my hunting):  

I am agreed on Inspiration Point, excellent location with beautiful scenery to go with the great fossils.  Bring a strong back and back pack and be prepared to carry out a lot of fossil weight, because you can find some very large ammonites (chunks or whole), gorgeously well defined heart urchins, and a variety of shelled species.  Bring lots of water as it gets pretty hot in the ravines where the wind can't hit you.  Also keep an eye for horned lizards/horned frogs/GREAT HORNY TOADS! (Yosemite Sam voice) as you can see a lot of them out there.

Anywhere in North Fort Worth where you can find new home construction going on and they will allow you to look around- they almost always churn up some good stuff while bulldozing.  Popular spots for this I have seen are along the new neighborhoods being established north of 820 on the west side of I-35W.

Anywhere along Fossil Creek that you can legally access (lots of private property around).  Fossil Creek lives up to its name if you like ammonites, heart urchins, and a multitude of different shell types.  I recommend checking out spots at North Park at NE Loop 820 and US Hwy 377 (Denton Highway), as well as Buffalo Ridge Park on North Beach Street in Haltom City.  Be prepared to get wet in the creek to find good fossils- these areas seem to get picked over frequently.

There is also a creek bed running along North Riverside Drive where it continues north from Western Center Blvd in north Fort Worth that I have had luck at in the past.  I believe it is a feeder stream to Fossil Creek, but not Fossil Creek proper.

I currently live on the Dallas side of DFW and I am still looking for a productive site over here.  I will update if I find one.  I did recently check out a few parks in Frisco and got skunked- did not find a single fossil, but found some beautiful chalk cliffs at Limestone Quarry Park in Frisco.

Edited by BBFunk, 03 May 2013 - 01:41 PM.

#8 vertman

vertman

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:22 PM

Remember almost all of the exposures on the east side of DFW are Austin Chalk, almost always producing very few if any fossils of note.

• jeremy.greene finds this informative

#9 jeremy.greene

jeremy.greene

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:44 PM

i have found numerous items in the creek south of dfw. yes, you dont want to go without permission or without someone who can get permission. ive been lucky enough to be allowed to hunt that creek. great finds, croc teeth, plesiosaur teeth, ptychodus, verts, etc., all kinds of goodies, i dont mind sharing my finds but dont go without permission. 

#10 bone2stone

bone2stone

Advanced Member

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

I am talking about the creek that is just south of the DFW airport exit.

Before 9/11, I had a long conversations with a state trooper, as I was leaving the creek in question.  His statements to me were, and I quote, "You're lucky we're not at war or anything, because I would have to arrest you and put you in jail."

It does have some neat material, and the Calcycoceras ammonites are present (Some people used to hunt the creek by going bare foot, and "feeling" for the ammonites), but it will definitely get you in trouble, if this is the creek we are talking about. 

And, yes, I have had some interesting conversations with law enforcement!  :D

(I wont go into details about the SWAT team that was sent out to the lake lewisville spillway to talk to me...(I had permission, btw))

It was me that hunts with my feet. Those days are long gone.

And yes stay away from the Airport unless you have Lewis Jacobs with you.................

Jess B.

#11 LanceH

LanceH

Member of the Month 10/09; VFOTM 09/10

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Awards

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:10 PM

Inspiration Point area exposes four formations.     The blocky limestone up top is the lower Duck Creek.  The brown/yellow clay below that is Kiamichi.  The white limestone/gray shale below that is Goodland.   The oyster beds behind the dam is Walnut.    

The Goodland is your best bet for fossils which would be mostly heart urchins, ammonites, clam molds, snail molds, oysters, and the harder to find Salenia and Tetragramma urchins.   

#12 LanceH

LanceH

Member of the Month 10/09; VFOTM 09/10

• Regular Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts

Awards

Posted 04 October 2014 - 08:14 PM

Benbrook Spillway is all Goodland.  You can hunt just don't use digging tools.  I have no idea why it would be tagged Grayson which is like miles and miles away and not even exposed.

I know you can find ammonites in Mary's Creek.

The roadcut near Bell Helicopter is Woodbine Sandstone most of which is too terrestrial to have fossils except in the uppermost part.

I live in northwest Fort Worth and more often than not I'm picking up scraps so there's competition.

Edited by LanceH, 04 October 2014 - 08:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users