Big Rains = Big Bryozoans

Jurassic Jim

What a interesting start to May, 45 and rainy in Alabama!!! In fact rainy is an understatement, it rained hard for about 12 hours straight. Decided I was going stir crazy in the house and would risk being wet and cold and went out fossil hunting. It was well worth it, found lots of great things but--I feel strange saying this--bryozoans ruled the day (Archimedes specifically). For those that have hunted these interesting things, you know that these things are usually not very long unless in matrix. To be honest these were no longer intact either, but they were exposed in the shale from the heavy rain overnight and had yet to scatter. Here they are...

post-5422-0-80848600-1367722559_thumb.jpg

Wow! It is amazing that you found that intact. The longest one I've found out of the matrix was only 1 inch. Congratulations on your great find.

Wow! Outstanding! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I would gladly go out in the pouring rain to pick up a few more long loose screws like those.

Wow indeed, My longest ever that is fully weathered is only about 4 inches. Great finds!!

And by the way, I live in Harvest, just north of you.

Edited by K-lover

Incredible finds! Definitely 2 of the best Archimedes bryozoans I've ever seen.

Gabe

I like crinoids......

Wow. Those would be amazing even if they were broken into several pieces.

Context is critical.

Thanks everyone, I am thrilled with them. The other thing I noticed is that while I thought I was finding many different species of archimedes over the years, my interpretation has now collapsed several of them into one. THis is because if you follow the longer stem from bottom to top the segments take on very different characteristics. I had just never really had the opportunity to observe before.

I'm looking at this thread again, and again, I say "wow!"

Context is critical.

.... And don't forget to put it in 'fossil of the month'. :)

Context is critical.

.... And don't forget to put it in 'fossil of the month'. :)

Absolutely. For Archimedes they were the find of a lifetime for me anyway. But seriously you will see them in the invertebrate entries. Edited by Jurassic Jim